Save The Plane ZK-NBV - Boeing 747-419 ‘City Of Christchurch’, ‘The Frodo Plane’

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Save The Plane ZK-NBV - Boeing 747-419 ‘City Of Christchurch’, ‘The Frodo Plane’

Postby Radar88 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:08 pm

Help spread the word for Bring Our Birds Home Save The Plane Givealittle

We are in a race against time to save the last remaining original Kiwi Boeing 747 passenger jet left on the planet, the former Air New Zealand Boeing 747-419, MSN 29610-1180 - ex ZK-NBV,

ZK-NBV - Boeing 747-419 ‘City Of Christchurch’, ‘The Frodo Plane’, ‘Mighty Waka’, ‘The Queen Of The Skies’

Watch on youtube.com

This aeroplane is a truly iconic nation building artifact of our social and transportation history. NBV was 'The Frodo Plane' featuring special Lord Of The Rings livery in early 2000 and conducting a dazzling Wellington fly past at the 'The Two Towers' movie premier.

The Givealittle mission is to raise 2.5 million New Zealand dollars by the end of the second week of July 2021 to purchase NBV, have the airliner flown from Roswell New Mexico USA and repatriate it's x 4 GE engines back to the States in special vibration proof containers. Bring Our Birds Home's interest in the airplane goes back to 2018 when NBV became the last remaining on the scrapping and destruction of New Zealand's first Boeing 747-219B, ZK-NZV, MSN 22722-523 at Domodedovo Airport, Moscow, Russia.

If We Are Successful In Our Mission?

The ferry flight of NBV will be from Roswell International Air Centre to New Zealand, most likely Christchurch in the South Island. At some point the aeroplane will be partially dismantled and shipped by road to the National Transport & Toy Museum at Wanaka for reassembly and eventual permanent public display.

Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by Radar88 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: Save The Plane ZK-NBV - Boeing 747-419 ‘City Of Christchurch’, ‘The Frodo Plane’

Postby deaneb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Unfortunately there is not much chance the Give a Little will raise the funds. As much as its a good idea to try and start a museum of our iconic aircraft, the cost is ongoing. The cost to get it here is one thing, but dismantling, transport and then long term preservation and upkeep of an aircraft that size is a huge undertaking.
deaneb

Re: Save The Plane ZK-NBV - Boeing 747-419 ‘City Of Christchurch’, ‘The Frodo Plane’

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:39 pm

Sadly I think Deane is right, and I don't think the Wanaka site is ideal ..Auckland or Christchurch makes more sense if it were to eventuate.
I would love to see these old girls (there are a few) "come home" and have donated as well ..... but :(
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby K5054NZ » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:04 pm

It's been a while since this project was launched and this is the closest they've come to Bringing one of Our Birds Home. I don't want to put down any heritage aviation project but I've had my doubts from the beginning...however many years ago that was.
K5054NZ

Postby cowpatz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:53 pm

Has Air NZ been approached for sponsorship? Admittedly a bad time for it but it would make a great flying test bed for alternative fuel trials.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Return to New Zealand Aviation