Heading north

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

Heading north

Postby toprob » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:53 pm

Tomorrow the moving truck comes, but at the moment I have no idea when they or I get to make the trip north. The Ashburton Bridge will probably be closed for a while, but they're working on a detour. All in all a stressful week. This morning I had the St Johns store come to pick up my lounge suite, but they couldn't get it out the door. I know it was a tight fit bringing it in four years ago, I did it myself, so hopefully the mover is skilled enough to shift it. I found a lot of swearing helped, but I couldn't convince them to let rip. No doubt they'll charge an arm and a leg for the extras.
I'm booked on the ferry Sat morning, which should give plenty of time to get the roads open.
So, all going well I'll be in sunny Wellington Saturday.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Heading north

Postby Aharon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:46 am

Good luck to your moving plans and enjoy new home in good robust health!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Postby ZK-LGD » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:33 am

Bonne chance! B-)
Regards,
Dorian
ZK-LGD
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:43 pm

Cheers. Things are going to plan, I made it to Picton today, despite the floods and maniacs on the road, so just the ferry trip in the morning and a short drive to go.
Checking my bank app tonight, I do seem to be missing $1000 which I transferred to the credit card (to offset part of the moving charge). Probably have to wait till Tuesday to sort it out, as it's a long weekend. Still, a bit worrying having it hanging over my head all weekend.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Hope the move is going well and that you get settled in to Wellington Rob. Better chance of finally meeting you there methinks
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cooldad » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Welcome back to Wellington Rob!
cooldad
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:29 pm

I've finally settled in, it took 13 days to deliver my furniture, which was kind of expected after the southern floods, but tough on an old bloke sleeping on the couch! The idea is that we'll convert the workshop/garage underneath the house to an extra flat for me, but in the meantime I'm in the master bedroom with ensuite and walk-in closet, so no complaints here. Back to work today, but having trouble remembering what I did for a living....
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:06 pm

:thumbup:
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm now officially a pensioner, so I'm reviewing my plans a bit. Wellington is certainly a great place to 'retire', and the pension helps to make it easy to live here -- although the rent I pay is a lot lower than the Wellington norm.
I did apply for the pension a couple of months ago, but for some reason my online application got lost, luckily fixed with a phone call ywsterday, but it does mean that my Gold card will take a bit longer -- apparently I get free off-peak train travel to the city, so that'll be my first excursion!
I've found that 'wind' is a very different thing here in Wellington. Although we don't get the real bad Cook Strait weather here at Upper Hutt, when the wind does blow it isn't like South Canterbury, it's more like a huge wall of fast-moving air which you just have to live with. On the other hand, spring is just a few weeks away....
My new grandson is due in six weeks, so I've got that to look forward to. My son and his wife are vegetarian, so I've reduced my meat consumption by about half, although I don't plan to give it up completely any time soon. Hemp burgers for dinner tonight:) (Quite disappointing, really, but there are other burger choices to try.) I am getting used to living with people, having to wait in the queue for the kitchen, but so far no real issues.
Last week it was exactly 12 years since my heart op, which was worth celebrating, as I've now been given the 'all clear' -- my heart is healthy for my age. Hopefully in another decade I can get the same result after a recent bad biopsy result. I think maybe life is good, I'm just not too sure at the moment.
Thanks for the support during my move, it was appreciated!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby NZ255 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:07 am

It was a windy one yesterday. 100Km average winds (not including gusts). I got blown around on my way to work.
Maybe I’ll see you at the Upper Hutt paknsav :)
Nick
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby deaneb » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Glad to hear everything went well Rob. Never much fun moving during winter !
deaneb

Postby toprob » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:41 pm

Cheers, guys.
Speaking of supermarkets, here in Silverstream we have New World, which is only 1.5kms away, much of it through native bush. It is amazing hearing the tūī and having the pīwakawaka flitting about my head. I don't remember ever seeing a tūī in Timaru, but here they are plentiful, and hard to miss because of their call.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Off Topic