So Where Were You Last Night?

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

So Where Were You Last Night?

Postby Charl » Thu May 27, 2021 9:03 am

For once, the Land of the Long White Cloud parted its skirts over Auckland at the opportune moment...talk about mixed metaphor, but then again how about Blood Flower Supermoon? :lol:
Me and a great proportion of Aotearoa were able to stand in the chill and take this Once in a Lifetime photo!

Show us yours, especially you telescope types.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: So Where Were You Last Night?

Postby toprob » Thu May 27, 2021 9:54 am

I didn't take photos of the actual eclipse, as it was minus 6 degrees here, and my tripod was packed away, so I did brief forays outside with the binoculars. Really glad I got to see it, it reminded me of a lifetime of science fiction book covers, as if I could reach out and touch another world.
My ex-mother-in-law even sent me her photos last night. I still don't understand that even though I was divorced 25+ years ago, I still have a mother-in-law. Life can be cruel.
I did intend to take photos, here's an earlier shot of the partial eclipse, but of course as it went further into shadow I couldn't hold it steady enough so I gave up.

toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Thu May 27, 2021 11:38 am

Charl, I missed the main event, but I did see the moon rise. Caught it again when I woke to what I thought was an outside light left on .....amazingly bright.
Great photos gents. Charl, you appear to have captured a resupply ship based within the rings of Saturn, heading to the dark side of the moon. They use the diffused light of the eclipse to stabilize the flux capacitors after the transit across the solar system....but it could be a moth as well.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Thu May 27, 2021 11:42 am

Splitpin wrote: Charl, you appear to have captured a resupply ship based within the rings of Saturn, heading to the dark side of the moon. They use the diffused light of the eclipse to stabilize the flux capacitors after the transit across the solar system....

Dammit Marty, I didn't want that getting around ! :rolleyes:
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Thu May 27, 2021 2:08 pm

'tis OK Mike, the mainstream media have declared that UFO's are Real. B-)
You can't open Youtube without being overrun by some talking head chiming in on what the Pentagon has been hiding all these years.
And yes, Marty, I am glad my quivering hand could add to the conspiracy of a lifetime.

Ex-MIL's shot is pretty good, Robin. Wonder why she didn't stay the distance and go Blood?
I also put some good binoculars on the thing. It looked really... Spherical, and as if illuminated from within!

Glad Auckland weather played the game for once.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm

Charl wrote:Ex-MIL's shot is pretty good, Robin. Wonder why she didn't stay the distance and go Blood?
I also put some good binoculars on the thing. It looked really... Spherical, and as if illuminated from within!

Yes, the way the lighting defined the shape really gave it that sci-fi artwork look.
That shot was mine, I did a few experimental shots as it began, but the moon kept heading higher, and without a tripod it became more and more difficult to get a shot as it got higher and darker.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Thu May 27, 2021 10:28 pm

OK I did that forum thing where you read the first line and assume you know what is being discussed :unsure:
Good to know the MIL isn't a closet ace photographer...
My picture is what the phone reconstructed after I ended up almost flat on the ice cold deck trying not to breathe.
It's why telescopes have that side eyepiece thingy.
I see they come with tracking abilities now too.
Maybe next blood supermoon I will, ah... wait a minute :blink:
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Off Topic