What Plane For Important Flight??

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

What Plane For Important Flight??

Postby Aharon » Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:00 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Paris Olympics 2024 is starting soon which gets me curious to know which Air New Zealand plane is going to be used to ferry all athletes from NZAA to Paris?? Anybody know??

Regards

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Re: What Plane For Important Flight??

Postby ZK-DWF » Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:40 am

A lot of athletes are based in Europe or USA already, so they won't have far to go.

I wouldn't expect a single plane to be chartered to transport the athletes to Paris. Not good if it crashed. IBM always had a rule that if a lot of employees had to fly somewhere, then they all took different flights. I remember back in 2003 where many Crop and Food Research staff lost there lives, when their plane crashed approaching Christchurch Airport.
ZK-DWF
Forum Addict

Postby emfrat » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:49 am

Towards the end of WWII. Churchill was heavily criticised for commandeering three newly delivered Coastal Command ASW Liberators, to ferry himself, the War Cabinet and the usual hangers-on to America for a conference.
His response? "I didn't want to put all the baskets in one egg."
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:53 am

Thanks all for answers

ZK-DWF wrote:A lot of athletes are based in Europe or USA already, so they won't have far to go.

New Zealand Olympians do not train in New Zealand???

emfrat wrote:His response? "I didn't want to put all the baskets in one egg."

ZK-DWF wrote:I wouldn't expect a single plane to be chartered to transport the athletes to Paris. Not good if it crashed.

Well lots of countries use single planes. Finland used Finnair MD-11 for their Olympians but I do not know what Finland is using now although my guess it would be A350. Air Canada uses 777-300ER for Canadian athletes. Israel uses EL AL 737 now and 757 or 747 in past for Olympians. Japan uses JAL 787 and ANA 787 since Japan's team is too big hence 2 planes. Australia uses A380 for the team.

Regrds,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:09 am

Aharon wrote:New Zealand Olympians do not train in New Zealand???

Any semi-pro or pro Athletes today will train in whatever country is closest to the action which for many means training in another country, NZ probably even more so given we are so far away from Europe, North America, Asia etc.

Re the flights, there's nothing on the Air NZ press page about any special flights so I'd assume they aren't offering anything, and they don't have any scheduled flights to continental Europe anyway so I'd assume our team are flying on commercial flights with anyone who flies out of ChCh or Akl. Be interesting to know though. I'll be able to find out who the swimmers are going with, will check (sounds like some swimmers went earlier in July for a pre-Olympics event in France, similar thing w the cyclists for NZ many of whom were at an event in Belgium early July and then moved to Switzerland for final prep)
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:40 am

Deeknow,

Thanks for answers

[quote="deeknow"] Be interesting to know though. I'll be able to find out who the swimmers are going with/quote]

Me too Would be interesting to find out what planes and what airlines all countries use to fly athletes to Paris for Olympics 2024.

BTW, England used Eurostat train from London to Paris via special underground Channel tunnel cross the Channel for the British Olympic team

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Return to New Zealand Aviation