MSFS 2024

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

MSFS 2024

Postby cowpatz » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:14 am

The trailer video is out for the latest release. I don’t know anything about it or what the differences are to the original.

Watch on youtube.com
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: MSFS 2024

Postby ZK-DWF » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:44 am

I'll start saving up for it now, cause it won't be a free upgrade. Probably another $150 plus investment.

Looks like they're going into a lot of scenario-based situations (don't want to say game playing here, gulp) ... such as fire fighting, transport, logistics, Sky Diving, etc.

What's interesting are the new aircraft - Airbus Beluga, A400M
ZK-DWF
Forum Addict

Postby FlyingKiwi » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:18 am

I'll need more information to decide whether I'm excited or disappointed by this. If it's an improved MSFS with more features and the remaining bugs in MSFS ironed out, and compatible with existing addons I'll be massively excited for it, even if it means another big install. If it's a totally new sim which will require a new set of world updates and all that sort of stuff I'll feel a bit hard done by given that Asobo originally were saying that MSFS was going to be a continually upgraded ten year project. It does make me wonder if they've discovered some fundamental problems with the engine they can't overcome with patching, but I guess only time will tell.
FlyingKiwi

Postby Charl » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:29 am

I guess the X-boxers will be somewhat mollified by this.
But
Does this mean my PAC 750 will suddenly start spreading some Superphosphate?? :)
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:29 am

FlyingKiwi wrote:I'll need more information to decide whether I'm excited or disappointed by this. If it's an improved MSFS with more features and the remaining bugs in MSFS ironed out, and compatible with existing addons I'll be massively excited for it, even if it means another big install. If it's a totally new sim which will require a new set of world updates and all that sort of stuff I'll feel a bit hard done by given that Asobo originally were saying that MSFS was going to be a continually upgraded ten year project. It does make me wonder if they've discovered some fundamental problems with the engine they can't overcome with patching, but I guess only time will tell.

Yes, I don't know how long we have to wait till MS explain how this will affect us, maybe they haven't figured that out themselves. Once again though I'm amused at the leap into negativity on a lot of the forums. It's fun to speculate, but for some it seems to be the opposite of fun, thinking of ways it could work to our disadvantage:)

It does look good, and if I was to speculate, which I shouldn't do, I'd say that the emphasis will change to the 'game' which everyone expected MSFS to be. I have no problem with that, at this stage of my sim life I'd be happy to buy an Xbox and just live in it.

"Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine." I wonder how evolved... It could be that the improvements in what they can do have outstripped the ability of the current sim, which would be an amazing thing. But too many questions before I can get ahead of myself. Is it actually the next MSFS, or another MSFS?

I do find it funny that they seem to have given in to the community and named it '2024', after they insisted that MSFS was never 'MSFS 2020'. Could this mean that they're back to a similar release schedule like 2000/2002/2004/2008? Whatever it is, I can't wait. I may have found my one retirement hobby.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby ZK-DWF » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:20 pm

I must say that I have been amazed at the resources and development that have been put into MSFS 2020. Never before have we been closer to the developers, and it nice to see that they are listening to their users. I really enjoy their regular development sessions on Twitch.

Yes, there are bugs, but these are being fixed. Back in the old versions, you would have had to buy the next version of FS to get rid of bugs. So, it's nice that we are getting updates every few months that progresses the simulator further. And that doesn't take into account the amazing World Updates that are coming fix and fast. I don't take all of these World Updates, as I sometimes have no interest in flying in some locations, but that is my choice.

I have no problems paying every few years for a new version. It wasn't long ago that Microsoft stopped development on FS, and we thought that was the end of MS Flight Simulator. It's great that it's got a dedicated and passion team back working on it.

I can't wait for version 2024.
ZK-DWF
Forum Addict

Postby cowpatz » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:25 pm

I’m surprised that they didn’t wait until the FS Expo next month to announce this. It certainly does look more Xbox game / scenario based as Rob alluded to.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby ZK-DWF » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:50 pm

I'm surprised that they aren't going all the way, and announcing World Simulator. What with the addition of cars and boats, animated people, animals and objects, we are not too far away from emulating the whole planet in Microsoft Flight Simulator.
ZK-DWF
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:23 pm

ZK-DWF wrote:I'm surprised that they aren't going all the way, and announcing World Simulator. What with the addition of cars and boats, animated people, animals and objects, we are not too far away from emulating the whole planet in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Hmmm, Train Sim as an addon -- yes please!

I may have to check when the next Q&A is, too many Q's and not enough A's at the moment.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:40 pm

cowpatz wrote:I’m surprised that they didn’t wait until the FS Expo next month to announce this. It certainly does look more Xbox game / scenario based as Rob alluded to.

This was a special Microsoft Xbox 2023 event teaser showcasing whats around the corner and coming to Xbox in 2024 as the normal E3 Event that would've been normally held over the weekend was cancelled.

You won't have to wait long FS Expo is June 23- 25 in Houston Texas USA.

Microsoft are attending the FS Expo 2023 event for the first time this year.

So I'd expect further announcement information to be revealed by Microsoft & Asobo within the next fortnight.

So not long.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:33 pm

A Community manager over at the MSFS forum has offered some concrete info on how this will affect the current sim development. Sounds good, makes sense.
I would hope that it will quash a lot of the ranting going on elsewhere, but I doubt it. Gee whizz, how many times have I lived through a new sim release? And how much has that initial knee-jerk reaction changed? Too many/not enough.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:48 pm

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Official Announcement page links

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 FAQ

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 be a completely standalone sequel, or will it also be offered as a paid update for existing players?

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is a standalone simulator and the next-generation sequel to Microsoft Flight Simulator that launched in 2020. Current aircraft and airports that are in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), as well as virtually all Marketplace add-ons, will be supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby FlyingKiwi » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:29 pm

The announcements above are definitely encouraging and have answered most of my concerns. My current feeling is depending on how much of an upgrade FS2024 is (and how much of a computer upgrade it might require...) I might just stick with MSFS for a while. I've always been able to keep myself plenty occupied in FS without needing pre-made 'scenarios' but I can see how that is a very logical step to draw in more people who wouldn't otherwise bother with a flight simulator. The apparent AI upgrades are probably what I'm most interested by though since I feel the AI traffic is just about the single weakest aspect of MSFS currently.
FlyingKiwi

Return to Announcements