Black screen

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Black screen

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:04 pm

Bugger this...it started this morning. Computer normal start up, no beeps. After about 20 minutes just reading news, the screen dimmed and then went black.
Turned the monitor off and on, it flashed up a dim ViewSonic logo, and back to black.
Did three forced restarts....same thing.
Disconnected everything, pulled the dear old Gforce 750 out, dusted him and put him back. Pulled the ram things out and put them back.
Removed the cable from the monitor to the puter, checked for damage...all ok , put back.

Restart.....a quick glimpse of a dull enter password.... back to black.
I don't have a spare monitor to plug in and check, could grab from work, but I'm off until next week.
Any thoughts ?
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Black screen

Postby emfrat » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:55 pm

Sounds like your monitor has given up. You are seeing glimpses of the 'poota doing what it should, but the display seems to have a loose or burnt wire somewhere, causing a heat problem. Can you test the monitor by connecting it as an external display for the laptop?
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:29 pm

Cheers Mike, but I don't have anyway to connect to the laptop, the cables are different.
Might take it over to my Brothers place tomorrow and plug it in, and see what happens.
The monitor is 15 years old, not sure what their life span is.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:27 pm

Splitpin wrote:Cheers Mike...The monitor is 15 years old, not sure what their life span is.

Wow! You've done very well there - that would be about 105 in human years. :rolleyes:

It is only in the last couple of years the EU has ruled that stuff must be fixable, not throwaway, as everything electronic was back in 2018. Way, way back before that I bought a 17" Samsung flat screen which cost a small fortune but it lasted a very long time. I always liked Sammy stuff, but in recent years I have found LG gear is equally good and a lot cheaper. Yer pays yer money.....
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:50 am

Splitpin wrote: The monitor is 15 years old, not sure what their life span is.

five years for monitors

5 years for computers

3 years for laptops

psssst ppsssst I have one of laptops that is 10 years old and still working well.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Postby cowpatz » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:09 am

I think PB Tech have a sale going on monitors.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:08 am

MightyApe also have some decent deals on at present, got email teased by one I've had my eye on this morning
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:26 pm

deeknow wrote:MightyApe also have some decent deals on at present, got email teased by one I've had my eye on this morning

Spill the beans then Deeknow. Which one?
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:13 pm

Thanks again chaps, up and running again.
Had a quick look on TradeMe, and found a guy close to home, who had heaps of second-hand stuff.
Came home with a nice Viewsonic V something. It looks brand new and for $75 I'm happy.
I mentioned the age and workload of the deceased monitor, and as a couple of you mentioned, he said I had a bloody good run with the old one.
I really didn't see the point in spending more money on an ancient system.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:16 pm

Yes, plenty of people upgrade things like monitors so have some nice gear for sale, it's probably the way I'd go these days. I was thinking that if I still lived in Canty I'd pop around with my old one, but that must be 10 years old now, so probably not the best solution anyway:)
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to Technical Issues