Bugger ....help

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

Re: Bugger ....help

Postby Adamski » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:31 pm

I've dabbled with many forms of Linux over the years and have always been disappointed. All is well until you need to install a driver for some new piece of hardware. Sudo this, sudo that ... all sorts of arcane cmd commands ... followed by hours of following useless, out of date info on the Internet when none of that works.

I'm no lover of Microsoft - but I expect an operating system to do just that ... *operate* ... and stay out of the way. Whilst hugely bloated, the later versions of Windows seem to perform reasonably well and usually detect new hardware automatically.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:43 am

="Adamski"
I'm no lover of Microsoft - but I expect an operating system to do just that ... *operate* ... and stay out of the way. Whilst hugely bloated, the later versions of Windows seem to perform reasonably well and usually detect new hardware automatically.

You might want to try out Tiny Windows 11 then.

Of course one man’s bloat may be another’s “necessity”.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:33 pm

cowpatz wrote:You might want to try out Tiny Windows 11 then.

I'm actually quite happy with Win11 on both my work laptop and sim PC. Neither have missed a beat.

I have an older laptop - currently running Linux Mint (Ubuntu), which behaves 90% of the time but installing a new(er) Wi-Fi printer was a bit of a mission.

I wish I'd seen the video in your link before!!!
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Issues