Leonardo Maddog MD 82

Discuss aircraft addons and repaints for Flight Simulator here

Leonardo Maddog MD 82

Postby cowpatz » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:40 pm

Anybody here flying this add on?
I have spent 2 days trying to get this thing sorted and haven't even got to taxi it yet.
The problem mainly has been trying to map the controls to hardware.
I have been trying to map the starter switches to a switch on my CH throttle quadrant without success. The event numbers that they give for the starters only manages to open the plastic covers and not actually activate the switch underneath. It is annoying as the switch has to be manually held until at least 40% N2 and this makes moving views around to put the fuel on and monitor N2/N1 awkward....like a one armed paper hangar.
It certainly isn't one of those "jump in and go in 10 min" machines. I seem to be having trouble with engines catching fire during the start despite following the procedures. Forum reading suggests that this might be a prob with selecting the "ready to start" panel selection and it suggests the full Cold and Dark panel config.......you need half a day to go through that procedure :)
This could possibly end up being a hangar queen.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Leonardo Maddog MD 82

Postby cowpatz » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 pm

Well I have stuck with it and managed to conduct a proving flight from AKL to CHC. It does fly well it is just the set up and starting that is odd. For example I had a problem whereby one engine would start but the other would not turn. Shut the good one down and found that I could start the other now but not restart the one shutdown. It is only when I closed a pneumatic duct that they could both start. Weird and not in the book as a procedure so who knows.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:59 pm

Sounds like an otherwise wonderful Caravelle (by Benoit Gauriant, I think) that I had in my FS9.1 Classic. Not sure I ever got it off the ground.
Mike
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:57 am

I always am annoyed by "Almost authentic" systems modelling.
The helicopters are particularly guilty of this malaise, you will frustrate yourself going through start sequence drills, only to discover that the carb heat whatsit is not modelled after all, and CTRL-E is the only resort :).

CP if you cannot get it to go, I'm not sure who will...
Admire your perseverance.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:32 am

Yeah I spent a solid 2 days before I even got to taxi it. The overhead panel looks like the switches were placed via the shotgun delivery method and the font is just small enough that the whole panel cannot be viewed and a switch identified. The ergonomics of the design make panel scan flows messy and illogical. The main issue is that Leonardo recommend that the joystick controllers are enabled whereby I use FSUIPC on every other add on. It does have a FSUIPC compatibility setting but it has issues. Mapping switches to hardware is problematic.
I think I'm getting there with it. With engine starting I may have been trying to start the second engine too soon after the first. Something to do with the APU overheating and having to throttle back which significantly reduces pneumatic pressure hence no turning. As for those engine fires, who knows.
I will stick with it and try and learn some shortcuts. The setup takes a long time, even from the ready to start panel state.
It will be a busy flight deck in the RW and I can see why it is called the "Maddog".
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:35 pm

Will be following this thread with great interest CP, I absolutely love the overall "looks" of the MDxx and have been flying the CLS version for many years now (did a few repaints for it) in FSX and earlier P3D versions, can't get it working in v5 so am thinking it's time to bite the bullet and splash out on the Leonardo. The CLS is very light systems wise. :thumbup:

PS do you have it for MSFS? or P3D?
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:25 pm

I run it in P3D V4.5.
I need to upgrade my PC but I’m waiting until later on in the year when all the new hardware goodies are forecast to be available.
In the meantime I wanted one more add on aircraft and it was between this and the BAE 146 Professional.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby FlyingKiwi » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 pm

Is it the MD-80 series which has the compass mounted somewhere at the rear of the cockpit with a mirror to view it? I've stuck to GA aeroplanes and the occasional warbird for a long time in flight simulator now, but I remember the good (?) old days of trying to figure out how the heck to get the Project Tupolev 154 to turn on. :lol:
FlyingKiwi

Postby Charl » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:43 am

cowpatz wrote:... when all the new hardware goodies are forecast to be available.

I'm in that boat, my hot PC apparently has a WIN11 non-compliant CPU.
Really?
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Do I sense that Wintel cartel operating again?

Do post your PC adventure when the time comes.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Return to Aircraft