Does Anybody Know Terrific Scenery Please?

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Does Anybody Know Terrific Scenery Please?

Postby Aharon » Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:30 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Does anybody know if there is terrific freeware or payware airport scenery for Catham Islands for use of FSX, please?

Cargo 737 flew to that airport as seen on this accompanying announcement below

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Re: Does Anybody Know Terrific Scenery Please?

Postby cowpatz » Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:37 am

I think you will have trouble finding a good scenery for the Chathams in FS2004.
Any that are around will have the old runway, should you wish to take a 737 in there. It’s been extended and widened to accept the 737 operation.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Naki » Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:59 pm

NZA (or was it someone else?) was working on something for the Chathams for MSFS.
Naki
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:24 am

Thanks all for kind replies.

I am looking for use of FSX, not FS2004 or MS2020

I see on Flightsim the NZCI scenery by Lawrie Roache made in year 2012 which was same year that runway of NZCI was extended and widened. Do any of you think the scenery includes modified runway?

If not, is Lawrie Roache around here that I can ask him if he can extend runway and widen the runway??

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Postby Naki » Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:37 am

Unless it was extended and widened twice the runway has only just in the last year extended and widened for 737 operations.

Lawrie doesn't frequent these forums any more...last time I heard he had shifted his focus to railways.
Naki
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:26 am

If your looking for some freeware old and outdated NZ Scenery, try the following link Flight Simulator X FSX New Zealand Sceneries

In particular outdated freeware airport scenery for Chatham Islands for use with FSX can be found on this link here AVSIM Library 8th July 2011, Chatham Islands: Updated Airports, Landclass, Water Data, and Flight Plans

Chatham Islands Runway length extension and widening has only recently been completed, hence why it's only just been reported in the news media with the first inaugural 737 TEXEL Air cargo aircraft touched down in the Chathams Island. Why this plane is a very big deal in the Chatham Islands

In some context, the news article, that you've possibly read and have looked at stated.

"Understanding the significance of Texel Air's arrival is underpinned by the New Zealand Government's proposal in 2012 to help extend and fund a NZ $42 ($25) million dollar runway extension at Chatham Islands Tuuta Airport."

It's taken 12 years to see it go from a proposal paper idea to finally see an extended runway completed and operational.

Previously, the airport could only handle smaller aircraft, such as Air Chatham's ATR72, which currently serves the islands today, with flights to Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch Airport multiple times a week.

If you like you can watch the recent, Just Planes video of the real life Air Chathams ATR-72 Cockpit to Chatham Islands from Auckland to Wellington

If you want to perform any historical flights in FSX, flying out from either NZ Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch to the Chatham Islands. You would need to consider using either the ATR -72 or the Convair 580 as these are the only type of historical aircraft, that could land on the older shorter Chatham Islands runway, for which the older 2010- 2012 FSX scenery could've been designed and created for.

WORLD'S LAST flying Convair Passenger Airplane! Air Chathams 1957 Convair CV-580 Supercut [AIRCLIPS]

Chathams 1957 Convair CV-580 workhorse flies into retirement

If you're wanting to fly a 737 cargo flight from NZ to the Chatham Islands, then sorry you will either need to invest in purchasing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 or next month's release of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024, as the current older Chatham Island FSX scenery might not be suitable for landing FSX 737 aircraft. You can certainly try and see what happens, since their are no historical flights of a 737 landing at the Chatham Islands. What you've seen and read is the very 1st 737 landing, since the recent runway extension completion, that's been 12 years in the planning to become a reality.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby Aharon » Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:09 pm

Naki wrote:Unless it was extended and widened twice the runway has only just in the last year extended and widened for 737 operations.

Thanks for answer and thanks for correcting me on specific date of runway extension and widening.

Naki wrote:Lawrie doesn't frequent these forums any more...last time I heard he had shifted his focus to railways.

Oh darn maybe i can send him inter-forum PM message?? What is his screenname for NZFF forums, please?

Regards.

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Postby Aharon » Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:24 pm

Radar88,

WELCOME BACK to NZFF forums. LONG LONG LONG LONG TIME no see no hear from you on NZFF forums!!!

And thanks for cool explanations on NZCI airport and flight sim NZCI sceneries.

Maybe my idea to ask Lawrie Roache if he can extend and widen the NZCI runway will work????

Once again, great to hear from you and thanks for cool explanations. I want to recreate the 737 cargo flight to NZCI! Smiling

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:00 pm

You could change the runway dimensions by using scruffy Ducks ADE (Airport Design Editor).
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:27 pm

A little bit of history on air services to the Chatham Islands
SAFE Air started a service to the Chatham Islands in 1968 with the Bristol 170 Freighters and on the 16th of June 1982 the AW.650 Argosy took over the service from the Bristol Freighters and on the 29th of September 1990. The last Chathams services being flown by Argosy ZK-SAE. The following day Safe Air flew the last of its cargo flights to the Chathams. Ending almost 40 years of SAFE AIR Chathams Island history.
http://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2014/05/ ... thams.html
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:50 am

cowpatz wrote:You could change the runway dimensions by using scruffy Ducks ADE (Airport Design Editor).

Cowpatz,

I wish but I am NOT NOT programming whiz or otherwise I would have raked 300K a year working for Microsoft Smiling

Besides I am afraid it would violate copyright laws if I or anybosdy can extend and widen the runway of that airpiort scenery for me.

Dbcunnz,

Thanks for cool history of that island

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Return to Scenery