Unlisted Airstrips of New Zealand for MSFS2020

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

Unlisted Airstrips of New Zealand for MSFS2020

Postby AhunterG » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 am

Hi all,

I'm pretty much talking to myself over on the ORBX forums...

The short story is that I have compiled the ORBX New Zealand NZNI and NZSI Unlisted Airstrips .bgls into a scenery package for MSFS2020.

It's quite incredible to see the work of the late Neil Hill line up nearly perfectly with the photo imagery of the North and South islands! I have gone through and made some adjustments where needs be, but the vast majority are spot on.

There is heaps of potential to give some of the really eye-catching spots a more detailed makeover, but that's not what the original package was really about.

I haven't shared the packages at this stage (two separate, North and South) as I haven't heard anything from ORBX.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/6366 ... ns/page/2/

Andrew
AhunterG

Topic author

Re: Unlisted Airstrips of New Zealand for MSFS2020

Postby FlyingKiwi » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:26 am

Good stuff Andrew. I've visited a few unlisted strips so far in FS2020. Most are perfectly useable, I've found a couple where the trees encroach too close to the edge of the runway and it's fair to say quite a lot of them are a bit more undulating and bumpy than in real life, but perfectly ok for a half decent bush plane. As far as a I can see you can't use the "go to location" feature on the world map to actually start at ground level, which I would imagine could be a bit glitchy but that would be helpful for 'spawning in' on an unlisted field. On a slightly different note I was flying around Australia earlier in the year and found a quite large unlisted sealed runway complete with taxiways, hangars etc! Guessing probably a mining company's private airfield.
FlyingKiwi

Postby AhunterG » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks FlyingKiwi!

Really, when I went through them all, I should have made notes on things like encroaching trees! From memory, there weren't too many that were too bad... Now that the task of better aligning the positions is done, creating an exclusion for trees at the occasional airstrip is very simple and something that would make sense for a better experience.

In terms of runways, it would be a more time-consuming task...

But that's the kind of community feedback that I need and I appreciate it.

Obviously getting the package into peoples simulators and having them report tree encroachment and make suggestions would be the way to go. Would save me having to go through every single one again, all on my own!

Yep, that's correct the "go-to location" feature is pretty useless, by my experience.

It's an incredible simulator, but they would have done well to collaborate with Lockheed Martin.

Andrew
AhunterG

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:10 pm

Sounds good. Hope this becomes available so when I eventually purchase MSFS I can load it in.
Thanks for doing that.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby AhunterG » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:37 pm

Not a problem Jpreou! I was massively sceptical when I first tried it out, returned 8 months later and felt a little more comfortable with better stability. Still a way to go through <_<

It's nice to now finally have the skills to create scenery packages for a simulator, I have always wanted to!

It appears that with Neil Hill no longer being with us and Ryan Mason not active on the ORBX forums for some time (2015), the file may be in somewhat of a limbo...

I'm not too sure how to approach ORBX about it.

Andrew
AhunterG

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:13 am

No idea. I've seen people reach out in the forums and get a contact out of it. Maybe you need to create a new thread to specifically ask what you'd like to do. Or submit a support request to generate a contact that way.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Return to Scenery