Orbx Region Base Package

A forum specifically to discuss the latest and greatest of all flight simulators

Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Aharon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:56 am

Okay okay I took advantage of Orbx special 50 percent off sale by buying Orbx PAJN Juneau, Orbx YBCS Cairns, Orbx YMEN Essendon, and Orbx YSCB Canberra.

Good news is that all Aussie airport sceneries mentioned above work well without required region base packages just like my past purchases KACK Nantucket, YMMl Melborne, and ESSA Arlanda sceneries work well without region base packages.

Bad news is that PAJN scenery does not work well without required base package as the scenery shows weird raising runways and ground aprons. So I was forced to cough up extra 20 bucks to buy Orbx Southern Alaska region base package which did great help to make PAJN scenery work very well without any problems meaning my lifelong dream of getting most realistic PAJN airport scenery has finally been fulfilled thanks to 50 percent discount.

Now my question is what interesting features does Southern Alaska region base package offer me in exchange for taking extra 20 bucks out of my wallet?

Thanks for any answer

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Senior Member
 
Topic author
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 1735

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Dash8captain » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 pm

Aharon wrote:Okay okay I took advantage of Orbx special 50 percent off sale by buying Orbx PAJN Juneau, Orbx YBCS Cairns, Orbx YMEN Essendon, and Orbx YSCB Canberra.

Good news is that all Aussie airport sceneries mentioned above work well without required region base packages just like my past purchases KACK Nantucket, YMMl Melborne, and ESSA Arlanda sceneries work well without region base packages.

Bad news is that PAJN scenery does not work well without required base package as the scenery shows weird raising runways and ground aprons. So I was forced to cough up extra 20 bucks to buy Orbx Southern Alaska region base package which did great help to make PAJN scenery work very well without any problems meaning my lifelong dream of getting most realistic PAJN airport scenery has finally been fulfilled thanks to 50 percent discount.

Now my question is what interesting features does Southern Alaska region base package offer me in exchange for taking extra 20 bucks out of my wallet?

Thanks for any answer

Regards,

Aharon


I think you just answered your own question there, you say it doesn't work well without the required base package

Well that's one huge features it offers you - It offers you the fact that the scenery now works correctly for 1 - maybe look at the features on the website to see where all your 20 dollars were spent
User avatar
Dash8captain
Senior Member
 
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Nelson

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby chopper_nut » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Never used ORBX for the ESP sims anywhere but NZ and AUST but I believe that those regions make the areas visually appealing to fly around so there's always that... There may be freeware airports that fit in with that region, there are heaps of strips in that area.
User avatar
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:58 pm
Posts: 2897
Location: The malaria ridden jungles of PNG

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Radar88 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 pm

Aharon wrote:Okay okay I took advantage of Orbx special 50 percent off sale by buying Orbx PAJN Juneau, Orbx YBCS Cairns, Orbx YMEN Essendon, and Orbx YSCB Canberra.

Good news is that all Aussie airport sceneries mentioned above work well without required region base packages just like my past purchases KACK Nantucket, YMMl Melborne, and ESSA Arlanda sceneries work well without region base packages.

Bad news is that PAJN scenery does not work well without required base package as the scenery shows weird raising runways and ground aprons. So I was forced to cough up extra 20 bucks to buy Orbx Southern Alaska region base package which did great help to make PAJN scenery work very well without any problems meaning my lifelong dream of getting most realistic PAJN airport scenery has finally been fulfilled thanks to 50 percent discount.

Now my question is what interesting features does Southern Alaska region base package offer me in exchange for taking extra 20 bucks out of my wallet?

Thanks for any answer

Regards,

Aharon


Looks like you did not scroll down and read all the information for the section on the Orbx product webpage for PAJN Juneau International Airport before deciding to buy

It clearly states the Prerequisite Products
You require at least one of the following products to use PAJN Juneau International Airport.
NA Southern Alaska.

You then purchased and as you say you were then "forced to cough up extra 20 bucks to buy Orbx Southern Alaska region base package"

Again you clearly did not read all the information contained on the Orbx product webpage. NA Southern Alaska regional photoreal coverage base package

Click on the above link for the answers that you seek, make sure that you scroll through and read all the information on the webpage.

If you're wanting new flight sim adventure flying in the North American Pacific Regions "The Home Of Bush Flying" why not get the other Orbx Regional base packages such as
NA Pacific Northwest regional photoreal coverage base package
NA Pacific Fjords regional photoreal coverage base package
NA Northern Rockies regional photoreal coverage base package

Then you can look at all the other Orbx payware Airports offered for within these regional base packages.

Then perhaps you could also try looking further at the Return to Misty Moorings (RTMM) a Canadian local website which offers lots and lots of FREEWARE add on scenery to FSX and P3D flight simmers giving access to nearly a thousand individual locations throughout the Alaska/Western Canada land area to do some Alaskan/Western Canadian Bush flying exploration might require a Bush Flying Float plane. Theirs plenty of Alaska/Western Canadian waterways with Fish to catch on those weekend away Bush Flying fishing trips up into the Pacific Northwest Fjords which you could do with your new scenery packages.

It will take a little time and patience with reading through all the installation packages information available on the RTMM website to get it all working properly but when you are finished, you will have a very complete scenery series for a Alaskan/Western Canadian Bush flight sim experience in FSX.
Radar88
Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:32 pm
Posts: 305

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Aharon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:48 am

Dash8captain wrote:I think you just answered your own question there, you say it doesn't work well without the required base package Well that's one huge features it offers you - It offers you the fact that the scenery now works correctly for 1 - maybe look at the features on the website to see where all your 20 dollars were spent


Dash8Captain,

Thanks for answer. I already before making this thread checked the features of Southern Alaska Region Base package. It says 270 airports have custom made improvements but I did spot checking on 3 airports and had seen no evidence of that hence me asking here for features apart from simple fact of making PAJN Juneau scenery work fine.

Somebody told me that Southern Alaska Region Base package features fantastic and realistic comprehensive PAGY Skagway airport so I have to check it out to see if it is true.

Others told me that the region base package turns lakes and rivers into ice during winter so I hope to see that. Some say the region base package makes mountains look more sharper and realistic looking. Hope it is true.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Senior Member
 
Topic author
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 1735

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Aharon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:51 am

chopper_nut wrote:Never used ORBX for the ESP sims anywhere but NZ and AUST but I believe that those regions make the areas visually appealing to fly around so there's always that... There may be freeware airports that fit in with that region, there are heaps of strips in that area.


Chopper Nut,

I agree with you and I hope Southern Alaska base region offers those features! I am sure this base package makes your helicopter trips more fun :) Got to see if there are helipads in that package!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Senior Member
 
Topic author
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 1735

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Aharon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:02 am

Radar88 wrote:Looks like you did not scroll down and read all the information for the section on the Orbx product webpage for PAJN Juneau International Airport before deciding to buy It clearly states the Prerequisite Products You require at least one of the following products to use PAJN Juneau International Airport. NA Southern Alaska.


Looks like you did not read my post saying that many of my ORBX airport sceneries work fine without any base packages

And dont you think any flightsimmer including me know about silly requirement of having to buy any region base package in order to get any Orbx airport scenery work well. Allow me to quote words of Orbx owner and CEO who made public confession in the past flight sim convention that flight simmers did not need region base packages in order to use airport sceneries.

While being extremely aware of requirement for region base package, I was hoping that PAJN would work without region base package just like my many other ORBX airport sceneries. Apparently not hence me coughing up extra 20 bucks and that is good thing that I did not buy PAKT Ketchican scenery because I knew it would cause problems without region base.

Radar88 wrote:Again you clearly did not read all the information contained on the Orbx product webpage. NA Southern Alaska regional photoreal coverage base package Click on the above link for the answers that you seek, make sure that you scroll through and read all the information on the webpage.


I already before making this thread posting checked the features of Southern Alaska Region Base package. It says 270 airports have custom made improvements but I did spot checking on 3 airports and had seen no evidence of that.

Somebody told me that Southern Alaska Region Base package features fantastic and realistic comprehensive PAGY Skagway airport so I have to check it out to see if it is true.

Others told me that the region base package turns lakes and rivers into ice during winter so I hope to see that. Some say the region base package makes mountains look more sharper and realistic looking. Hope it is true.
Aharon
Senior Member
 
Topic author
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 1735

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Dash8captain » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:29 pm

Don't think its really worth loosing sleep over $20...

You've now got a great base package which will help with anything else you buy for that area

Also its very common knowledge to have to buy base packages to make airports work with other scenery so I wouldn't call it a silly requirement
User avatar
Dash8captain
Senior Member
 
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:24 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Nelson

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby chopper_nut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:32 pm

I remember that there was a bit of confusion / irritation a while back that airports required other packages. I see that ORBX seem to have gone away from that now though, certainly in XP where as far as I'm aware, no airports REQUIRE other purchases, you may get some odd tree positions and the like without but they are perfectly usable as standalone products.
User avatar
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:58 pm
Posts: 2897
Location: The malaria ridden jungles of PNG

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby Aharon » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 am

chopper_nut wrote:I remember that there was a bit of confusion / irritation a while back that airports required other packages. I see that ORBX seem to have gone away from that now though, certainly in XP where as far as I'm aware, no airports REQUIRE other purchases, you may get some odd tree positions and the like without but they are perfectly usable as standalone products.


Chopper Nut,

Yep I have come to conclusion that many people have agreed with me which is my observation that any ORBX airport scenery on flat land terrain work well without any region base package hence you see example in my past purchases of many Orbx airports on flat terrain mentioned in previous posts above therefore avoiding extra costs of buying region base packages which is why I avoid or cannot buy any airport scenery located on mountainous terrain such as Milford Sound Airport, Queenstown airport, Ketchikan airport, and Jackson Hole airport.

I gambled on PAJN Juneau in hope it could work without region base package. Apparently not hence me coughing up extra 20 bucks for that. Good thing I did not gamble on PAKT Ketchican because many people told me that the famous sloped taxiway of this airport scenery NEVER works EVEN WITH region base package.

In other words, any Orbx airport scenery located on mountainous terrain needs region base package and any Orbx airport scenery located on flat terrain does not require region base package.

Smiling

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Senior Member
 
Topic author
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:39 am
Posts: 1735

Re: Orbx Region Base Package

Postby chopper_nut » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:39 am

Aharon wrote:
chopper_nut wrote:I remember that there was a bit of confusion / irritation a while back that airports required other packages. I see that ORBX seem to have gone away from that now though, certainly in XP where as far as I'm aware, no airports REQUIRE other purchases, you may get some odd tree positions and the like without but they are perfectly usable as standalone products.


Chopper Nut,

Yep I have come to conclusion that many people have agreed with me which is my observation that any ORBX airport scenery on flat land terrain work well without any region base package hence you see example in my past purchases of many Orbx airports on flat terrain mentioned in previous posts above therefore avoiding extra costs of buying region base packages which is why I avoid or cannot buy any airport scenery located on mountainous terrain such as Milford Sound Airport, Queenstown airport, Ketchikan airport, and Jackson Hole airport.

I gambled on PAJN Juneau in hope it could work without region base package. Apparently not hence me coughing up extra 20 bucks for that. Good thing I did not gamble on PAKT Ketchican because many people told me that the famous sloped taxiway of this airport scenery NEVER works EVEN WITH region base package.

In other words, any Orbx airport scenery located on mountainous terrain needs region base package and any Orbx airport scenery located on flat terrain does not require region base package.

Smiling

Regards,

Aharon


That's certainly true for the legacy sims however with XP, if the terrain is a bit funky then developers include a custom mesh. Ketchican from NSS for example has a fabulous custom mesh to replicate the high runway. Just the way that the terrain modelling works in XP.
User avatar
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro
 
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:58 pm
Posts: 2897
Location: The malaria ridden jungles of PNG


Return to All Flight Simulators

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests