Mapping Question PLease

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Mapping Question PLease

Postby Aharon » Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:10 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I have an interesting question. I write lots of waypoints for lots of flights.

What I would like to do is to write waypoints for one flight and have the waypoints imposed on Google style satellite map so that it would show the route where I can identify cities, streets, lakes, rivers, towns, and so on. Simbrief can do it but not
on satellite map. It is on normal map in Simbrief which does not work for me because it does not show
all names of cities, streets, lakes, rivers, towns, and so on.

Do any of you know if there is such website that allows me to input waypoints and have the website show me the
route on satellite map?

Thanks for any assistance any of you might provide.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Re: Mapping Question PLease

Postby ZK-DWF » Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:24 am

I don't use any specific website for entry/editing of the flight plan.
I use Simbrief only for my Airbus flights, which are mainly commercial routes between airports.

Little NavMap is my go-to app for entering waypoints, and planning VFR flights. Mind boggling functionality, but I suppose I only use 30%-40% of the features in it. It's continually updated with new features.
Plan-G is another one I have tried.
ZK-DWF
Forum Addict

Postby cowpatz » Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:50 am

Agreed. Little Nav Map.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Fri Oct 18, 2024 12:05 pm

ZK-DWF and Cowpatz,

Thanks to both of you for suggestions.

I have solved the problem after two attempts!!!! Without use of LittleNavMap!!!!

How?? First attempt which worked well but did not satisfy me was to use Simbrief to create a flight plan with waypoints, then generate that flight, and then export that flight as KML file format to my computer directory. Then I used Google Earth to open that KML flight which automatically put the flight route with specific waypoints onto Google Earth sateliette map. It works BUT BUT it is hard for me to read that sateliette map.

So next to second attempt which proves more successful and MORE USEFUL. I repeated the process as in the first attempt but INSTEAD INSTEAD of using Google Earth, I used GoogleMyMaps which works marvelous and very very easy to read the map using the flight route with waypoints.

Problem solved!! I do not need LittleNavMap

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Return to General