3 different sims

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

3 different sims

Postby tanken2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 am

I have FSX SE
Orbx NI and SI
All of Godzone that is available
aerosoft A320
Flight 1 ATR 70
PMDG 747

petty good for domestic airline flying and with GSX ground handling can do a domestic flight from loading passengers to unloading and freight unloading

Then I fell in love with Aerofly FS2's realisim (New York city at night is astounding) and I have Orbx Netherlands (fantastic) so mutch potential :o . Alas no New Zealand (YET) .
Now I have X plane 11
with Lyndimans ortho and NZAA NZWN and NZCH addons and with FF A320 ultimate I'm in heaven and can only get better once Toprob hopefully gets on board. now looking at aerosoft ATR for smaller Airports.

why no Prepar 3D ? simply, cost put me off initially and I would have to Re buy what I already have in FSX . Now with X plane and FS2 there is no point.
tanken2

Topic author

Re: 3 different sims

Postby toprob » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:24 pm

As someone who is really only interested in NZ, I do think that the 2 other sims have a long way to go before they'll be of interest to locals. Although it would only take one major development to make either -- or both -- major contenders. At the moment I do think that the best chance is Orbx TrueEarth. Both sims require a good, solid base, and TrueEarth would give us this. Once that happens, we'll probably see a lot of releases in quick succession, fleshing out the airports etc.
The main unknown, though, is Microsoft FS2020. It certainly looks to me that a lot of people are holding off spending any money until they know what to expect from the new sim. It is entirely possible that a new MS sim will send everything else back to runner-up status.

I can dabble with scenery for X-plane and Aerofly FS2, but I don't have the resources or manpower to make much headway. All I can hope for is that one quality base to build on. Although I am still committed to at least one release for both sims, at the moment I can't see any long term benefit in committing to either without something a lot better than default to build on.

People have their own favourites, but as a group -- community? market? -- they'd prefer one great sim to a number of good sims. Until MS reappeared in the market, I would have expected things to move along as they do now, each sim with its own worthwhile features, with the most developed -- Prepar3d -- holding the lead, but the others taking converts where they could. Now I couldn't guess where we will be in 18 months, I suspect that MS might be the one final winner.
OnlineUser avatar
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby tanken2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 am

Hi toprob
When I saw your short video of wellington in AFS2 it was like a kid looking in a toy shop window with empty pockets, I was salivating. I am prepared to wait to see what develops but am enjoying NZ domestic flights in Xplane at the moment. I noticed that Orbx gave Xplane GB and FS2 Netherlands, maybe to see how they work on each platform. I have Netherlands and looking at GB for xplane in the hope that one or both will get both sceneries as the flight between them sits in a good timeframe with international airports and flights. We will wait and see.
tanken2

Topic author

Postby tanken2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:11 am

oh
forgot look at the resources Microsoft have , if they get serious game over?
tanken2

Topic author

Postby Charl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Pretty much... there's just enough in AFS2 to tide you over until the hammer drops on those other upstarts :)
Charl
NZFF Pro

Return to General