FSX Mesh NZ

An area to discuss scenery addons for virtual NZ

FSX Mesh NZ

Postby Jeffref » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Does a 5M (or better) Mesh exist for FSX for NZ? ORBX use 10M which is OK but......
Jeffref

Topic author

Re: FSX Mesh NZ

Postby toprob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:22 pm

I don't think there's any data available for the whole country, the best NZ-wide coverage is pretty much what Orbx used (and Vector Landclass). The dataset is called 8 metres, but it is really interpolated from 20 metre contours, so at best it is a 20 metre mesh.
Recently we've seen a lot of 1 metre data online, but this tends to be built-up areas only, and other bits and pieces. There's nothing like the Alps coverage, for instance, but then again there isn't even aerial image coverage for all the alps.
The largest chunk of data is the Wellington region, at 1 metre, but I don't think there are any other entire regions available.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks for that useful info, Rob - I am registered at LINZ, but I am still learning what I am seeing, if you follow.
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Jeffref » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for the info Rob and Emfrat. I am working on imagery for NZ using FSET at up to 0.25M but have not checked the Alps yet although I did a large piece of Fiordland.
Rob, it has been a long time since I purchased your FS2002/4 Magazine CD's in Christchurch. My current project is to extend your Wellington Subscription scenery north to your Central Plateau section to fill the gap. I have the 2M Wellington mesh but would love to see the Tararuas and Ruahines at the same scale.
Jeffref

Topic author

Postby toprob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:44 am

Using FSET, you may in fact get full coverage of NZ, as I think this allows for different sources? I only use LINZ data, as it is distributable, but for your own use there may be a lot more available.
There is no reason why the entire Wellington region couldn't have a 2 metre mesh now, or even metre:) As I said, the data is available -- here's a screenshot of the LINZ Wellington 1m DEM coverage:
I think the only time I've used a 1 metre mesh is Kapiti Island. I'm not sure that it's worth the extra data, though... 5 metres is a good choice for large areas.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Jeffref » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks Rob
The big problem with the 1M is that the file size 32-33 GB is larger than the 3.5 GB you are allowed for a download zip file. It looks like you can crop as necessary but it will take some effort to split them to get the full area, otherwise there is a charge of $75 if you order a flash drive by courier which is a bit stiff for a small part of the North Island.
I may look at this again at Xmas after looking at the conversion bit, or cross my fingers someone who knows how to go about doing this and converting them can upload Wellers somewhere else, meantime ORBX it shall be.
Jeffref

Topic author

Postby Kelvinr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone wants to work on the 10m mesh for xplane? We have the mesh for prepar3d/fsx and would look awesome in xplane under Lyndimans ortho.
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Return to Scenery