MS Flight Sim in 2020

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

Re: MS Flight Sim in 2020

Postby Charl » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks for the link, the MS Insider site was totally swamped.
I signed up for the Alpha, but noted that:
If you are not part of the first wave of beta users, don’t fret! Over the duration of the beta program, we will be regularly inviting new users to help us as we shape the future of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Ah well. Maybe my hot computer at the end of a copper wire "broadband" feed will be of interest...
The best comment yet came from AVSIM:
The slow descent into madness here is at times amusing and at other times hilarious.
Take a deep breath guys. We're going to be ok
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 am

I do have my own thoughts on what Microsoft are trying to accomplish here, but so far all we have to go on is a bunch of screenshots and some very short videos, so we can only speculate. I did mention my thoughts on another forum, but this was dismissed early on, although I do think that this is because of the flightsim community in general, which tends to believe that FS is the only pure and proper use of a PC, and that MS's ultimate goal is to serve the FS community. I don't believe this at all, I think that MS are looking to become the one and only solution for world-building and visualisation, and FS is a good place to start as the community is kind of vocal...

I guess the question is 'is it going to be revolutionary, or just a major update to what we have?' So far, the things which are important to me -- as a non-aviator, and with very little interest in the technical aspects of aviation -- are well-covered, the lighting/atmosphere, ground detail, autogen etc. It's a better-looking sim and nothing else gets close at the moment. One thing I learnt when I started looking at developing for X-plane was that I didn't really have anything local to compare, so it wasn't until I dropped in some photoscenery of my own that I could see the potential. So seeing the Tekapo (although I am a keen supporter of the new name, Takapō) video, which is an area I first covered in FS2002, and have updated over the years for FSX and Prepar3d, I've had the chance to actually make an early comparison.

I did post a comparison screenshot from P3D on the AVSIM Takapō vid discussion, but I do have some thoughts on the video, which I wouldn't share there. My comparison screenshot was in reply to a question about the lighting/angle/bloom etc. The pronounced blooming may or may not be accurate, but I think it does show something which Prepar3d HDR doesn't depict well, the fact that looking into the sun is going to strongly affect what you see, as the bright bits -- in this case the clouds -- are going to be very, very bright compared to everything else. Bloom is a good way to depict this, otherwise all you can do is to wash it out to pure white, which is not realistic.

The main thing which struck me with that video, though, is the fact that it must be winter, because of the angle of the sun, but there is almost no snow depicted. So like Real NZ scenery, it seems to be summer only:) This makes sense because of the photo base, and MS may come up with a solution, but if not some of the community are going to be annoyed.

I don't think I'll sign up for the first Tech Alpha, as I need to sort out some extra storage at some point. I may want to get involved later on when/if there's a SDK test (that's how I got involved in the FSX beta) but I'll leave it to the real simmers in the meantime. I do think that a lot of people are going to breach the NDA, though, so maybe those of us not involved won't miss out much.

Some more random ramblings:

If the new sim really works out, people will need to come around to using the word 'xbox', which seems to be very offensive to a lot of simmers at the moment:)

Although we all have our favourite sims, and tend to clump into our own communities, which may not change much in the near future, I do think that in general 'people' (which includes non hard-core simmers) would prefer one sim to rule them all. Microsoft have what it takes to make this happen, provided they don't just wander off somewhere and get lost;

As far a scenery development is concerned, we already have far too many sims, so bugger MS. I'm kidding... Hopefully I'll be too old and retired to have to worry about the new one.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:55 pm

toprob wrote: I'm kidding... Hopefully I'll be too old and retired to have to worry about the new one.

Sorry to break it to you Rob but 'we here' don't see that being an option for you for quite some time..... :D
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 pm

toprob wrote:If the new sim really works out, people will need to come around to using the word 'xbox', which seems to be very offensive to a lot of simmers at the moment:)
It is clearly of interest to MS why folk stick to PC gaming.
In the Alpha signup, they ask you why, with options like "I have no interest in consoles" and "better graphics" and "hardware customisation" and so on.
In the perfect MS world, everyone will be wirelessly implanted with an Xbox receptor in the prefrontal cortex :)
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:04 pm

cowpatz wrote:Sorry to break it to you Rob but 'we here' don't see that being an option for you for quite some time..... :D

Looking at the length and breadth of my post yesterday, I don't think there's much chance of me quitting FS any time soon.

Charl -- for me 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' would be the answer to this question, although I've always been a fan of Xbox, and until the earthquakes, and a resulting power surge, I owned two different versions. My Xbox Live name early on was ChildrenOfTheCorn (only my kids played online), but I lost that when the different markets were combined into one, so I was surprised the find out that I already had another Xbox user name when I signed up for the Insider site -- TweedyHail94. That was a random suggestion, which I must have selected at one point, but it's good to be back... call me Tweedy... Maybe I might get another Xbox if the simulator works out, but I can't imagine developing on it. So once again, here comes retirement....
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 am

Howdy from FiftyThrower38 :blink: also randomly assigned...
MS have alluded to 3rd party dev involvement so it just might make sense for the first time in years to get collaborative projects underway.
They have a way of spawning spinoffs and who knows where it goes?
The FS community is full of talented people with Ideas.

Any case, retirement sounds too much like a Death Penalty,
The Baby Boomers are really the first generation where the rules needn't apply.
Why would you stop doing something that gives joy to you and others?
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:32 pm

You are 100% spot-on, it's just that at the moment I have a kind of 'perfect storm' of issues caused by changes to Prepar3d plus Orbx Central, which leaves me day-dreaming about just walking away... I wouldn't have any reason to get out of bed if I didn't have FS scenery issues to deal with!

Still, I am keen to get started on the new sim, because obviously looking at the Tekapo video they posted there is work to do. A big feature of these lakes are the sediment spilling into the lake, and with Tekapo in particular the glacier 'flour' suspended in the lake gives it it's distinctive turquoise colour. Neither of these features show up in the video, so that may be my first job. Tekapo has always been special, I can remember it was the first and only photoscenery I've done with seasonal images, back for FS2002 I think, I carefully painted winter snow onto the aerial image and saved a half-way point for spring/autumn. Far too much work for a bigger project, or at a higher res than FS2002's 4.8 metres, though.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Previous

Return to Announcements