Orbx TrueEarth GB South demo for X-plane

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Orbx TrueEarth GB South demo for X-plane

Postby toprob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 pm

I must admit I didn't know this demo was available until half an hour ago. It certainly was easy to download and install, despite my limited knowledge of X-plane. Once I got over the normal issues I have with X-plane (which isn't really any worse than Prepar3d in most respects, I just notice the differences..) it certainly shows what Orbx can do with this sim. I haven't spent much time in 11.30, as I haven't had the time, but I can now see what the fuss is all about:) I still need to squint a bit when I get too close to the ground, as the illusion of a 'real' world can get a bit shattered up close (painted on roads, and lovely smooth-running trucks, which suddenly jerk around a bend, for example), but flying at a good level for sight-seeing is a great experience.
As always Orbx's trees make all the difference to the realism. Plenty of trees = plenty real for me. I suddenly realised I really know nothing about the South GB landscape, though....
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Orbx TrueEarth GB South demo for X-plane

Postby MichaelBasler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am

ORBX (say, mostly Tony Wroblewsky) has done a great work on True Earth. I own all three XP parts and enjoy exploring them. And this, while I've never been an X-plane fan. I bought all their UK XP airports (using the cross-rebate), too.

Unfortunately, ORBX failed with the Prepar3d counterpart. I got it to run more or less after playing with settings, installing the Service Pack, resetting my Nvidia settings and stuff. It now runs so-so, however, I just can't make fun of using it. I rather got the impression, while the XP version has been a work of art, the P3D version just had to be done, as the user are (or should I say were?) there.

As a result, I observe flocks of folks switching either completely or in parallel from either FSX or P3D to XP right now. ORBX just isn't one minor airport maker but certainly a (perhaps too influential those days) factor in the game. Morever, JV and his subordinates make no secret of the fact he completely fell in love with X-Plane.

I put a question on their forum why they don't team up with LM to release a similar P3D/ORBX TE demo. The answer by that Aimee Sanjari was P3D:XP is still 70:30 among their users, thus there's no need. But have a look on new releases among all makes, which are 2:1 from XP:P3D, at least. And that's not only conversions but mostly new developments.

I can't say I am really happy about that, having invested thousands of $$$ into P3D over the years, but what can I do. Unfortunately, P3D indeed has been plagued by a host of inherited shortomings LM obviously never are going to cure. I made a list of serious issues of the terrain engine alone on AVSIM a few months ago, which included 7 items.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby jpreou » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:58 am

MichaelBasler wrote:Unfortunately, P3D indeed has been plagued by a host of inherited shortomings LM obviously never are going to cure. I made a list of serious issues of the terrain engine alone on AVSIM a few months ago, which included 7 items.

Can you post a direct link Michael ... I'm curious ... thanks
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby MichaelBasler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 am

jpreou wrote:
MichaelBasler wrote:Unfortunately, P3D indeed has been plagued by a host of inherited shortomings LM obviously never are going to cure. I made a list of serious issues of the terrain engine alone on AVSIM a few months ago, which included 7 items.

Can you post a direct link Michael ... I'm curious ... thanks

Here you go:

Items #1 to 5

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/540185-mild-complaint-about-the-p3d-platform/?page=2 (scroll down)

and items # 6 and 7

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/540185-mild-complaint-about-the-p3d-platform/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-3882761

I have to admit they resolved blurry photo scenery in 4.4, so there are only 6 left. On the other hand, that's only the terrain engine. We didn't speak about the outdated display engine (which they MIGHT update in 5.0), single threading CPU usage (seems to be slightly more balanced in 4.4) or hard-coded default airport layouts and navaids from 2005, and more.

Kind regards, Michael
MichaelBasler

Postby jpreou » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:39 am

Cheers
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Return to General