Aircraft

Discuss aircraft addons and repaints for Flight Simulator here

Aircraft

Postby Barrington » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi,
I am progressively changing over to Prepare 3D (v4.2 at present) and am keen to add the Boeing 737-800 to my Sim Object list of aircraft.
I have just spent $80 plus on the I Fly 737-800NG and at present am finding this somewhat daunting, but am going to continue to learn
more about it.
However, in the meantime, would anyone know where I could get a reasonable model (even minimum payware) so that I can work my way up.
I have a number of them in FSX but am reluctant to try them in case I stuff up my present setup.
Any help would be appreciated.
With thanks
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: Aircraft

Postby Adamski » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 pm

I have the "flagship" PMDG 737 NGX, but I've tried a couple of the freeware 737s out there as well. Honestly - you'd be wasting your time. Most of the good stuff (or the stuff that's currently putting you off!) is in the MCDU - and that hardly gets modelled at all in the freeware versions. You'll be lucky to get 50% of the VC functionality as well: many switches/clickspots just don't work. You get what you pay for (!).

I do have the iFly 747 though (which I love) so I think I know what you're in for with the iFly 737. There'll be tons of 737 videos/tutorials out there - I'd dig some out and work your way through them. Boeing systems seem to be pretty standard across their fleets, so even PMDG 737 videos may help.

I spent a lot of time in the PMDG 737 and now find I can jump into the CS 757 (or even BobL's PMDG 747) and do a cold start fairly easily - albeit fairly slowly!

I'm sure the iFly 737 is well worth the effort - take your time!!!

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:10 am

I agree with Adams comments. The iFly 737 is great and in fact does some things better than the PMDG 737. It will further improve with the coming HD texture sets.
At first flying a FMS (Flight management system) can seem daunting but once you have the basics sorted you can be up and flying in no time.
Grab a java and go thru the manual and the tutorial. It is a very good place to start. This is not a "purchase, jump in and go" machine. There are many videos around that can guide you on the FMS and other aspects of operating the aircraft. The iFly forum is also a great place to go to and browse through past posts. Pay special attention to the use of the CDU (keypad) and the autopilot. Learn what the various modes are and what they do. Learn what the FMA's (Flight mode annunciations) that are displayed on your PFD mean. They tell you what the autopilot is doing or commanding the Flight director to display. Use the autopilot as much as you can to offload yourself. Remember that this is a 2 pilot aircraft and you are trying to fly it single handed and with a limited field of view with no physical feedback....a tough ask. Choose when and where to hand fly.
It is a steep learning curve for sure but if you take your time it will be an enjoyable one. The skills you learn on the 737NG can be carried across to virtually any glass cockpit Boeing machine.
If you think the 737 is hard then don't go anywhere near an Airbus :)
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm

cowpatz wrote:If you think the 737 is hard then don't go anywhere near an Airbus :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I disagree!! Without going down the Boeing vs Airbus thing (the ghost of our late Ian Warren pops up here) - the procedures in the Airbus are slightly different, but sort of the same. BobL and I spent a great deal of time in the old (pre P3Dv4) versions of the Aerosoft Airbus (in fact, we both featured as the UK Pilot & 1st Officer soundset).

I think there may be slightly more automation with the Airbus (there's always the famous quote: "What's IT doing now?") but it's really not *that* different. Much as I like the PMDG Boeing 737, I still miss the Aerosoft Airbuses.

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Return to Aircraft