The NZFF January 2018 Screenshot Competition is now closed

Post and comment on screen captures from the beautiful game here. Home of the monthly screenshot competition

The NZFF January 2018 Screenshot Competition is now closed

Postby Adamski » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 pm

NZFF January 2018 Screenshot Competition

The competition is now open!
NOTE: We have TWO CATEGORIES/VOTES:

1) Visual Appeal: the winner gets their image displayed as a banner for the following month.
2) Relevance to the Theme: the winner gets the sponsored prize and sets the theme for the next screencomp.

The two votes can go to the same entry or to different ones.

The January theme is: "STOL" ... chosen by Adamski, winner of the November (theme) competition. If you have any theme-related queries, send him a PM!

Here's the Wikipedia entry "A short takeoff and landing (STOL) aircraft is an aircraft with short runway requirements for takeoff and landing. Many STOL-designed aircraft also feature various arrangements for use on runways with harsh conditions (such as high altitude or ice). STOL aircraft, including those used in scheduled passenger airline operations, have also been operated from STOLport airfields which feature short runways."

NOTE: STOL is different to VSTOL - which would include aircraft capable of vertical takeoffs ... so no choppers, please!
Note also that the location can be anywhere in the world.

This month's competition is kindly sponsored by Carenado. The winner will receive a download of their choice from the excellent Carenado Product Range.

I've been helping Doug out administering the comp since March 2017 (almost a year) so I'd like to try an experiment with the voting procedures. If successful, it would save a lot of work at poll time.

1. Two-part competition ("Visuals" and "Relevance" - as now).
  2. Voting is OPEN - and placed by posts in a new (voting) topic. This does away with the need to set up two polls.
  3. Votes would simply be along the lines of Relevance vote to XXXX and Visuals vote to YYYY. Voters may add why they voted the way they did if they wish.
  4. Five days and the voting topic is closed (as now).

SCHEDULE
Images can be submitted (or edited) up until midnight Wednesday 31st January.
Voting runs from Thursday 1st February up until midnight Monday 5th February.

Please read the rules below: if you have any queries, please PM Comp Admin for clarification **before posting your entry**.

ELIGIBILITY
  1. Entry (and voting) for the competition is open to all registered NZFF members.

THE SCREENSHOT
  2. The screenshot image must consist of a screen captured from a flight simulator program (FS2004, FSX, P3D, X-plane, DCS/IL-2 or War Thunder).
  3. Some editing is allowed: additional images can be added (either real or other screenshots), but the main component of the image should always be from a flight sim.

IMAGE FORMAT
  4. The images can be jpg or png and must be EXACTLY 1280px wide (any depth).
  5. Though "visual appeal" is all about the complete screenshot image, bear in mind that (if it wins that poll), the final banner crops to around 1200px * 380px (max) - which is quite a narrow letter-box shape - so try to compose your shot so as not to lose areas of high interest.
  6. No frames or text on the image.
  7. Keep the original uncropped/uncompressed/high resolution version (BMP or TIFF) saved on your PC - admin may request it from you at the end of the month to convert into a site banner!
  8. DCS users may want to look at these tips.

SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
  9. Please post all screenshot/entries here - in this topic.
  10. Only one entry/single image per member is allowed.
  11. Images can changed any time up until closing time (midnight, last day of the month): use the "edit" button at the top of the original post, delete the old image link and replace it with the new one.
  12. If possible, please add details of the aircraft depicted and general scenery/location information.

VOTING
  13. After the competition entry deadline, all registered NZFF members may cast TWO votes: one for visual appeal and one for relevance to the theme.
    The two votes can both go to the same entry or to different ones - but please vote in BOTH categories.
  14. Voting is OPEN - and placed by posts in a new (voting) topic - along the lines of Relevance vote to XXXX and Visuals vote to YYYY. Voters may add why they voted the way they did if they wish.
  15. Entrants may not vote on their own screenshots (!).
  16. Voting runs for five days after the entry deadline.
  17. The winner in the "relevance" poll receives the prize from the designated sponsor and gets to suggest a theme for the next screencomp.
  18. The winner in the "visual appeal" poll will have a cropped version of their image posted as the NZFF banner for the following month.

Note: It's customary for the theme winner to post some screenshots of their prize!

Full results here.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: The NZFF January 2018 Screenshot Competition is now open!

Postby Adamski » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm getting in early to "nab" Quintin Lodge, Milford Sound :ph43r:

Though the term "STOL" probably hadn't been coined yet, I suspect Lysanders made the very best use of it in WWII. Here's an SOE pilot in training before being shipped out to Europe.

The rather ancient FSAddon Lysander cajoled to work in P3Dv4, ORBX NZMF+NZSI.

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Good thinking Adamovitch , I had thought of the "lizze" ... but I don't have one.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Just popped up from Turangi, in Rob Richardson's TwinPin, for a spot of lunch at The Chateau :lol:
FSX, VLC

MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Buy you a beer Mike ? nice landing by the way :thumbup:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Splitpin wrote:Buy you a beer Mike ? nice landing by the way :thumbup:

Fortunately we can't put videos in the comp :whoops: . I saw one of these at the RAF Leuchars BoB Day in the mid 60s. A Land Rover went out and parked beside the runway. The TP touched down beside it, and stopped within about four times its own length, at most. The pilot kept the reverse thrust on, so that the plane backed up to where it had touched down. Then he took off again, in not much more than the distance he had landed in. Brilliant demo.
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby BobL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 am

My 1st attempt for 2018.
Beaver trying to land at Martins Bay.
Do you think he made it?

BobL
Forum Addict

Postby Roelio » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:54 am

PC-12, not the best STOL Pilatus aircraft (that title goes to the PC-6) but capable of doing it while the passengers are enjoying a fine champagne :cheers:

I think you can all see where I was flying ;)

Full (4K) resolution here: https://imgur.com/E685mxC
Last edited by Roelio on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roelio
Forum Addict

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

RNZAF NZ7011 (a new J model) setting up for a Khe Sanh (tactical) stol landing. Placeholder for now.

Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Trust me to find a theme that's perfect for the Herc!!! :lol:

Great shot!!!

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Indeed Adam .... that shot is Shite ...and can be worked on.
Looking back at the comp stats ...a Herc has been on the banner 7 times ... maybe more as some pics are lost .
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 am

Adamski wrote:
Here's the Wikipedia entry "A short takeoff and landing (STOL) aircraft is an aircraft with short runway requirements for takeoff and landing. Many STOL-designed aircraft also feature various arrangements for use on runways with harsh conditions (such as high altitude or ice). STOL aircraft, including those used in scheduled passenger airline operations, have also been operated from STOLport airfields which feature short runways."

Will Boeing 737-800SFP qualify for this?? SPF stands for short performance field capacity

Also will 737-200s and 727-100s qualify for this too since they can handle short 5,000 ft rwy?

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Forum Addict

Postby Adamski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am

Aharon wrote:Will Boeing 737-800SFP qualify for this?? SPF stands for short performance field capacity.

Also will 737-200s and 727-100s qualify for this too since they can handle short 5,000 ft rwy?
I'd say the SFP 737 would be fine. No idea about the other two - but if you put that SFP variant in a pretty "dramatic" situation, I think people will get the idea.

Though STOL on those airliners is possible, it's the voters that will be looking at the pic to see whether it really has "STOL" written all over it, if you see what I mean!!! The more obvious you can make it, the better!

For instance, I think an airliner with full flaps, spoilers and reversers deployed could be just as exciting to see as the classic C-130 "Sarajevo" approach/landings that we've all seen.

Adam.

EDIT: I forgot to add that it doesn't matter whether the aircraft in question ever operated in NZ in RL - just that the screenshot is set in an NZ location.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Aharon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Adamski,

Thanks for reply. Must be tough to find an airport in New Zealand for STOL landing.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Forum Addict

Postby Adamski » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Aharon wrote:Must be tough to find an airport in New Zealand for STOL landing.

for an airliner maybe - but there are dozens of small airfields or bush strips in NZ! You may need to search through your hangar for an easier STOL aircraft B-)

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Working out of one of the many ag strips on the Coromandel Peninsula.

toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 pm

OK , a call to arms so to speak ...whats going on here guys, over 1000 members and only 6 entries in the screen comp :(
6!! ... I know it's not compulsory, and forget about past winners, but remember the work that the screen mods do ...behind the scenes....to secure the prizes, post the banners and more.

Some of you have posted 30+ screens in one post ...... how hard is one "stol NZ" shot ?
I understand that the NZ thing may restrict some potential posters, and I'm sure this will be addressed, as not everyone has NZ scenery... but if 5% of NZ members posted a shot <_<

Anyway , have a think about it ...still a few days to go.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Too right, Marty - I usually log in around 0530 AEST, and there is something like "no registered members, 50-odd visitors" online. A lot of those will be like me, only popping in without logging on for a look to see if there is anything new, but most of them seem interested. Why can't they take a couple of minutes to vote on the comp, even if they don't want to enter, themselves?
:angry:
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 pm

Well ... it appears you can lead a horse to water ... and so on ...

FIVE days to go. If things don't improve dramatically, this will be the last screencomp I'll be doing.

Doug has a lot on his plate at the moment, so may not be able to take it back over - in which case it'll be R.I.P. screencomp. :(

Adam.

UPDATE
: I've change the theme to allow shots from anywhere in the world. No excuses now.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby jankees » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 am

anywhere..ok, here I come:

Last edited by jankees on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jankees
Sim-holic

Next

Return to Screenshots