Godzone Scenery in P3DV5

The official REAL NZ support forum

Re: Godzone Scenery in P3DV5

Postby toprob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks for not asking, guys, and just to prove that the system works --
I do plan to put together v5 installers once I release NZCH for FSX, which I think is just about ready to go to beta, as soon as I put the installer together. This can take a week or two, depending on how I deal with a few decisions regarding how this will be released. (For example, I need to decide whether to 'downplay' the VLC component of the VLC Libraries, as I think they confuse people the way they are implemented so far. In this case, I may need to write a 'silent' installer similar to the version which came with NZCH for Prepar3d.)
Once it is tested and released (it'll need a good test this time, the Prepar3d version was rushed through testing) I'll start on getting the three current scenery products ready for v5. No idea how long that will take, but I wouldn't imagine it would be a major rework. If any HF doesn't improve the tree situation, then I will probably just let it go as-is. Not an ideal solution, but I can't foresee any proper fix being anything but a hack/compromise.
As far as the future is concerned, I am beginning to suspect that until now we've just been fooling around, and MFS will be the beginning of a truly modern sim. I'd be surprised if Flightbeam were not already looking ahead to a MFS NZAA.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 pm

toprob wrote:As far as the future is concerned, I am beginning to suspect that until now we've just been fooling around, and MFS will be the beginning of a truly modern sim. I'd be surprised if Flightbeam were not already looking ahead to a MFS NZAA.

Here's hoping aye, and yes that would explain why NZAA was kinda put on hold for a bit, wonder if the models will be deploy-able back to P3D still??!?!
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Scupper wrote:I think when Flightbeam release NZAA there'll be a new ripple of interest in NZ for simmers.

Lets hope that Godzone is well placed to capitalise on this.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Scupper » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Can't wait for Godzone P3D5. I think by the time MSFS2020 comes out, P3D5 will be a force to be reckoned with; - Lockheed Martin know what they're up against, they're developing 3D clouds etc at a rate of knots and their shaders are looking more realistic with each update.

Scenery developers are falling over themselves to sell as much as they can before MSFS arrives, which means P3D simmers have an even higher investment in their platform. It's a lot more stable since HF2 and we've pretty much worked out how to make it look good without killing our system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VxnET ... 86rVzKXzcE).

I haven't sim-flown in NZ since P3D5 arrived because it wouldn't be the same without Nelson, Chch and Dunedin, but when Flightbeam NZAA arrives I guess I'll give it a try, Godzone or no Godzone. No pressure... :D
Scupper
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Scupper, you may be right, but I'm still not too sure that Prepar3d has any real future. I will have to check out your link, as I'm still getting crashes far too often with v5, although I'm aware that my system isn't really suitable.

On an entirely unrelated note(?), today I got home about an hour before sunset, and fired up another nameless sim, just to get a flight in before it got too dark. I flew from Woodbourne up the Wairau River, stopping off at Nelson Lakes, as I was low on light and fuel -- I was flying my little Robin, not because of its cute name, but simply because it gives the best view from the cockpit, but this is just a recent switch from the trusty 152, so I was a bit surprised to be so low of fuel. This was only a 35 minute flight, but it was simply an experience unlike anything else from any other sim. This was what I have been looking for since I found my first simulator back last century. This is what I was hoping that we'd get to, whether it be Prepar3d, X-plane, or any other sim that wants to have a crack at the crown. Sure, Prepar3d is 'getting there', and it has made huge advances since v1, but it still has a long way to go, and I'm not entirely sure that it'll get there for me.

I'm not sure that everyone will react the way I did, simply because I'm not really a simmer. My interest is more to do with the ability to live in my own world model, rather than an interest in aviation. But today's flight -- albeit short because of time constraints -- was one of many lately where I really feel that I'm flying around a real landscape, seeing real features that are true to life, and accomplishing something fun and a wee bit tricky for an old bloke who can't fly. Whether it's great weather for flying, or a bit iffy and overcast, every flight gives me a sense of satisfaction that I've never had from any other sim. I still have three different versions of Prepar3d installed, and I'll probably still have them for a few years, but that'll depend on the 'market'. I certainly won't be flying them for the sake of it.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:25 am

toprob wrote:I still have three different versions of Prepar3d installed.

Which version do you like the best?? And I am still die-hard FSX fan but if I hear that all FSX add on planes can work on MS2020, I will jump to MS2020!!!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm

Aharon wrote:
Which version do you like the best??

Prepar3d 4.5 is my 'go-to' sim, although I generally go for the latest version if possible. At the moment my 4.5 has a good range of addons, and it does look ok when everything is loaded. I use v3 only for development, it is set up to use all the development tools, although I never fly it. I would use v5 more, but my GPU continually gives a message which I paraphrase in the words of Charlie Rich -- 'Lord I feel like going home, I tried and failed and I'm tired and weary.' However I do need to upgrade my PC soon, so I may give it another chance then.
However Prepar3d has always been similar to FSX -- you can get it looking realistic at certain angles, after paying for better weather, clouds, scenery, aircraft and shaders, and a bunch of tweaks, but the sim I want would look real most of the time, out of the box.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 am

toprob wrote:Prepar3d 4.5 is my 'go-to' sim

Thanks for answer.

Is it possible that P3D 4.5 version of your amazing Godzone NZCH scenery will work in FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2??

I am curious to know if anybody in the vast flight simming world pulls clever stunt installing into his or her FSX Deluxe any payware P3D 4.5 airport scenery from any software company and makes it work in FSX or is it totally technically impossible and cannot be done for sure??

Orbx has been making so many new airport sceneries valid only only for P3Dv4 or v5 that I want to use for FSX!!! Orbx made P3DV4 compatible East Midland airport scenery that I want to use for FSX

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Although some bits and pieces of Prepar3d airports may work in FSX (for Godzone, the photoreal areas should work) most of the rest wouldn't, and would probably crash FSX. Using a tool like MCX may let you do a rough conversion, but first you'd need to install the scenery -- not possible really without Prepar3d already installed, and most licenses won't allow this, I know that mine doesn't, and I'm sure Orbx is the same.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 am

Toprob,

Thanks for answers.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Previous

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support