A pig of a week...

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

A pig of a week...

Postby toprob » Fri May 17, 2019 4:29 pm

'Putting the finishing touches' to NZCH really means dealing with things that were too boring or difficult to complete earlier. For the last week just about everything I've tried has failed to work out, which really means that I need to abandon a lot of clever ideas...

Yesterday I decided to revisit Christchurch, to see if I could grab a bit more detail. I was waiting for a nice cold day, without the heat shimmer you get shooting pics across runways etc, but I think I chose the worst-possible day, I knew it would be cloudy, which is a good thing really, but I wasn't expecting the driving rain and wind. Then my tele-zoom lens quit, it is my oldest lens so I'm not surprised, but it'll be expensive to replace. On top of all that I had a bit of an 'aspy' attack, since being diagnosed with Aspergers it's easier to recognise the signs, but the sense-overload isn't fun out in the rain and 200kms from home. A couple of attempts to talk my way into a better view failed dismally, my usual charm failed me completely:)

So I feel that the entire week has been wasted. I plan to go back to Christchurch for a few more photos, but I may skip the airport this time. I think that the CBD needs a few more custom buildings, so I'll see what's been completed since I was last there. But I'm sick of airports.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: A pig of a week...

Postby jpreou » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Well that's no good at all Rob. Hope next week plays out better for you.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby dbcunnz » Fri May 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Thats not good Rob has it been one of those weeks you wish you had hit the cancel button on Monday :unsure:
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Fri May 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Actually, Monday lulled me into a false sense of security.... Last week when I decided to go to Christchurch, I realised I had to get a warrant for the car which just sits in my garage for 360 days of the year. (This is Timaru, everything is in walking distance.) Of course when I went to start it, the battery was flat. I walked up to Repco who were having a sale, but all their cheap battery chargers were sold out. So I crossed the road to the Warehouse, and they had one for $29:) Now I'm aware that most of the rubbish I buy from the Warehouse doesn't last a week, but it was the cheapest option, so I gave it a go. It actually worked a treat.
So on Monday I was able to get the warrant.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby NZ255 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:31 pm

toprob wrote:...but it was the cheapest option, so I gave it a go. It actually worked a treat.
So on Monday I was able to get the warrant.

That sounds more positive :D
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Rob ...rob, rob , why don't you give me some warning about your nonflying visits to chc. If you give me a week, I can book some time off and help.

Hate the thought of you getting stressed.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am

Cheers, Marty, but the last thing I want is for both of us to be stressed out in the rain...

I do tend to 'fight through' those weird times when the world gets too loud, but it doesn't make me fit company for a while... I don't like to give in to it, which can lead to some funny outcomes -- at one point I was sitting in my car by the boundary fence (dozens of others parked up there as well), but wasn't capable of getting out of my car to take a photo. I just wanted to go straight home, but I force myself to go through the motions of taking the photos, even though I probably looked like some sort of robot:)

This is really a high-functioning form of autism, and I've always aware of how lucky I am that I can cope 99% of the time. It must be horrible for those who live with that all the time.

One of the symptoms is obsessive interests, which for me means building little worlds inside the sim. So it ain't all bad!!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Sat May 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Rob ...no problem.
Haven't had the best week either, had a bit of a meltdown today (ok now)
Just seemed to me that everybody I know appeared to have some God-given right to my time ... advice...support etc, and I've had enough.
People basing their future on decisions I may or not make, without considering my current position...or caring to ask....just assuming I'm sitting here waiting to deal with their problems.
Just seemed that I'm always available when needed... but, when I need to talk, it's just too hard (partner excluded)....and I wanted to talk about seeing a 13-year-old girl cut her wrist almost in front of me, and other stuff.
But, it's ok now...I'll just listen... nod, and deal with it.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Sounds like a bit of a disaster, Marty, but I can guess that normally you are there for everyone, they might just need a reminder that it doesn't make it their right.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sun May 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Well, I ran away from home today, and drove to the McKenzie Country, where it's almost impossible to be stressed....
Just one annoying thing -- I was really, really ready for a coffee, so I thought I'd go up to the Mt John Observatory café. There's a road toll now ($8) so I figured the coffee better be worth it. But after I'd paid at the toll booth, the woman informed me that the water pump was out of action, so no hot drinks! I nearly asked for a refund...
I actually only meant to drive to Kimbell, to have a look at the Garage Gallery. They have a couple of Brian McCracken paintings, which I've only ever seen on the web, and really wanted to see the real thing. He paints Canterbury/Otago landscapes, which really appeal to me. Too expensive for me, but he does sell cheaper prints.
Speaking of the Canterbury landscape, I took some photos at Lake Alexandrina.

toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Lovely pics, Rob. The first thing I liked about motoring in NZ was how much it was like driving in Scotland in the 1960s...but then down the road a piece I got my first glimpse of the Alps. They are a bit bigger than the Scottish mountains :o

ATB, Mike
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Sun May 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Rob ...that is EXACTLY what I needed to see. :bow:
Mate you are living in paradise ....
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Lovely shots Rob, glorious landscape. Love it up there too, don't often get down south but that's where I head when I do
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Wonderful scenic Photographs!

Would make lovely Desktop scenes. and Calendars!

Well done!

I've got a selection of cameras, digital and roll-film......but never think of taking photographs!.... :unsure: ....!

Paul.... :D ...!
Fozzer
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 pm

I did another trip to Christchurch today, a lot more relaxed than last time! The fog rolled in when I got there, so it wasn't too successful, but I did manage to get some night shots, including some video of the colour changes on the tower -- I don't think it'll have changing colours, but maybe in an update one day.
Sophia was in, I wanted to get a shot of it in the mist, but at the usual spot I was turned away. Sundays are always better, as nobody is home...
That'll be the last visit before the release of NZCH, so although I had a few things on my list today, most didn't get done. Oh well, that's nature's way of telling me it's finished. The next time I visit the airport it'll be 1am mid next month, when I pick up a friend arriving from India! Stupid time to fly in.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Off Topic