Flying visit

A separate section for photographers to upload and comment on everything from amateur plane spotting images to professional air to air shots.

Flying visit

Postby toprob » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Yesterday morning I was picked up from Timaru by a CAC Piper Archer, flew to Chch, then took a photo flight around the CAC training area (in a trusty old Cessna with the window removed...) then back to Timaru in an Alpha 160A. A fun day all around! Some technical hitches with camera gear didn't quite spoil it. I loved the Archer, a very nice clean glass panel and controls even I could get used to, and the Alpha is great as well, except for the waggly stick...
Just a few photos, I was aiming for 'detail' shots which are not always pretty, but managed a few airport overviews....

That's one ugly-as hotel....
I'm getting too old for this, my back is playing up today after being bent into bucket seats, twisting and turning to get photos.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Flying visit

Postby cowpatz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Is the hotel being built shown to the left of the tower in the first shot? It looks like it's position might restrict visibility from the tower down towards the antarctic ramp area.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes, I guess that this isn't a problem... maybe a traffic controller will have a permanent suite in the hotel...
Here's what I guess is the sight-line, I'm surprised that it doesn't cover the end gate access at least. They probably just cross their fingers when pushing back from that end gate...
Surely these days they just rely on cameras, so maybe they get a better view now the hotel is there.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Great post Rob ....magic .
But do tell us how you have the CAC at your disposal ....you sly old dog :)
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Splitpin wrote:But do tell us how you have the CAC at your disposal ....you sly old dog :)

I wish... the aero club actually talked me into doing NZCH, and they have been helping to fund/organise the development. Yesterday was to show me the new reporting points so they can be incorporated into the scenery.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Charl » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm

There ya go... captive audience for the NZ launch of NZCH AFS2!
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 am

First shot is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

I did not know A380s can operate to NZCH!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Postby deeknow » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:34 pm

toprob wrote:the aero club actually talked me into doing NZCH, and they have been helping to fund/organise the development. Yesterday was to show me the new reporting points so they can be incorporated into the scenery.

Oh wow, that's a great result, fabulous practice for the students huh doing circuits and approaches etc?
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Cheers, Aharon.

deeknow wrote:Oh wow, that's a great result, fabulous practice for the students huh doing circuits and approaches etc?

Really, I wouldn't have considered NZCH if CAC hadn't pushed for it, and offered to help with development costs and access. Pre-NZCH upgrade in 2008 I ran myself ragged trying to gain access, but it ended in heartache (literally) and despair! I had made up my mind to ignore any airport which didn't accept my initial advances (and women, come to think of it) but having CAC on my team has made all the difference.
It hasn't been all smooth sailing, as a change of management kind of slowed the project down, but the end is in sight... well, a couple of months behind schedule, but still moving forward. When I compare what I've done now compared to what I had 10 years ago, it seems miraculous. Still, not miraculous enough to consider looking at NZAA again, which was another airport which didn't take too kindly to my approaches. From now on, I'll stick with the smaller airports which don't mind an old bloke wandering about with a camera.

Initially the CAC were planning a VR setup, I don't know if this is still the plan, though. Since then they have asked about an AFS2 version, and since NZCH was really the first project after I announced the 'multi-sim' project (with a bit of a false start on the Alps/Lakes area), this is certainly going to happen. Just not too sure about the timing at the moment.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am

Aharon wrote:First shot is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

I did not know A380s can operate to NZCH!

Regards,

Aharon

They fly low over my house in Rolleston a few miles away on approach. Make a hell of a noise but I can't resist popping outside to have a look. As they get about 1/2 a mile away from me I generally see the u/c come down. Magic!
:)
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby jpreou » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 am

toprob wrote:.... Still, not miraculous enough to consider looking at NZAA again, which was another airport which didn't take too kindly to my approaches. ....

Maybe you present what you do with ChCh to those at AA as an example of the quality you can produce, with a testimonial from CAC on how much is has benefited them as a training organisation and how having a similar quality AA would help their commercial students ...
... worth a letter of request at least ... nothing ventured, and all that...
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:42 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy never to have to build NZAA -- I have my fingers crossed for Flightbeam!
NZCH was kind of in the same category, too much work and trouble, but I do have a soft spot for Christchurch itself, most of the good things in my life happened there!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to New Zealand Aviation Photography