'Tearing' I think!!!

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

'Tearing' I think!!!

Postby Barrington » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:33 pm

:unsure: Here is my issue..........
I enjoy the commercial jets and normal flight at whatever altitude is fine. However I notice that when descending for approach and particularly when turning, I get a very quick 'off course' sideways movement
of the aircraft and then back on track. This can happen 3 maybe 4 times and then all settles down again. It is not what I would call a 'stutter' but a definite sideways movement.
I am not sure if this is a graphics issue or whether another programme is interfering. If it maybe the latter, I understand that I can run 'Task Manager' on my 2nd screen to check if there is overloading from
another programme when it happens - but I am not sure how to set this up to see.
I have a pretty good system using windows 7, Intel I7 processing, 24 Gigs of ram and Nvidia 780T graphics card and as i mention, it doesn't happen in normal flight...........
If anyone can direct me to a setting to overcome this, or how to run Task Manager at the same time to check possible interference, I would be most grateful.
Thank you in anticipation of a possible solution. :rolleyes:
Barrington
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: 'Tearing' I think!!!

Postby Adamski » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Sounds to me more like a texture loading problem - which you hit when the sim (is it FSX or P3D?) loads all the [additional] airport objects. It may be loading them in the background, then suddenly having to do a "catch up".

As an experiment, try reducing your traffic options - aircraft, ground vehicles and cars and see if it makes any difference. Also - try defragging your sim (and system) hard drives. That might speed your loading a bit.

Have you been experimenting with any .cfg tweaks?

There's information out there somewhere for using Task Manager for flight sims, but I can't remember any places off-hand. It didn't help me much, as many of the graphs just maxed out and stayed there (!!). I run my (P3Dv4.2) maxed out on a pretty old/mediocre system just for screenshots. I get terrible frame rates but don't get the sort of stutters you describe.

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Barrington » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi Adamski,
Thanks for the response......
To answer inj order:
1) FSX platform and it maybe what you suggested.
2) I defrag regularly so don't think that would be an issue.
3) no experimenting with cfg tweaks, however i wondered if I were able to pm you my cfg file, you may see something stand out that could have an effect???
4) my frame rates are good and I'm sure I saw soemthing about Task manager as well but connot recall where or when.
Please let me know if sending you my cfg would be worth a try and many thanks for your assistance.
Cheers
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 pm

It's been a long while now since I fiddled with the FSX cfg file. It's one of the things I'm grateful I no longer need to do in P3D. I'd Google "TextureMaxLoad" and "Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction". It's a bit of a black art, I'm afraid - and you'll see lots of conflicting information.

Don't forget to back up your .cfg file before you start!

It's probably not worth sending me the file (!). I'm really out of the loop with FSX :unsure:

I wouldn't be too bothered with Task Manager either - as it's unlikely that some external event always happens just as you approach an airport. I'd say it's more likely to the textures/objects load.

Maybe other people here have some additional ideas <??>.
Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Oe of the important tips we all learned in the early days of online, group, Multiplayer flights, using FS 2002, FS 2004, and FSX, was to lock the Frame Rate to 20 FPS max!

This would prevent the dreaded stutters, pauses, etc, in the sim, especially when flying over a heavily congested area with lots of traffic and complex scenery!

Setting the Frame Rate to a high setting...or even UNLIMITED! was a recipe for disaster, especially when using a low-power computer!

The human eye is unable to detect any improvement in settings over 25-30 FPS anyway!

Try LOCKING the Frame Rate to 20 FPS in the on-screen drop-down menu in the Flight Sim!

Paul....A regular Multiplayer in the Olden Days!.... :D ....!
Fozzer
NZFF Pro

Postby Adamski » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Certainly worth a try, Paul! However (and I'm not disagreeing with you) ... this "tweak" appears to have different effects on different systems - or even on identical setups!

At one time (by total coincidence) I had an almost 100% replica of a system used by BobL. I would get better frame rates (and less blurries) if I locked my frame rate, whilst his was exactly the opposite (!!).

I also found I got better results by setting my FSX "target" framerate to "unlimited" and hardware locking it to 20 in my NVI profile.

Contrary to popular misconception, the setting in FSX is absolutely NOT a frame-rate *locker*. It just sets a "target" or "desirable" frame rate that FSX then tries to achieve - by dynamically reducing detail and/or refresh times. Setting it to a very low value will prevent FSX from using many (though maybe not all) "short cuts" as it's a relatively easy target to achieve. Setting the target too high will certainly introduce problems, but I've often suspected that setting it to "unlimited" translates to "never mind with any of that [optimisation] stuff - just get on with it". That's my totally unscientific gut feeling (for the "unlimited" setting at least).

As ever, "your mileage may vary"!!! Don't you just HATE IT when you hear that!

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Postby Barrington » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Many thanks for the interest in the subject.
I am trying a few ideas and will see how it pans out over the next few days. But I did drop my fram rates to 30 and it seems (early yet) to have stablised somewhat - so that's encouraging.
Irf I could find someone who lives near my area, I would gladly pay them to have a good look at my system in general and see what settings I have - be they right or wrong....
Do you happen to know someone close to me that i could contact?
Cheers
Barrington
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Adamski » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:41 am

Not sure that I know anyone around Levin (I'm up in Auckland). Shame - as you can't beat a "real life" session ...

Anyone?

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Return to Technical Issues