P3Dv4 and NZ mesh

The place to ask for help or solve each others technical issues and discuss hardware

P3Dv4 and NZ mesh

Postby jpreou » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 am

Bombarding with Qs this morning!
Since I am building an "NZ-only" P3Dv4 sim ... I will be installing ORBX North & South and they include mesh.
I used to run PILOTS FTX Global 2010 but I see now that is moved on to 2018 @ AUS $80.
The old 2010 I don't think was any better than the ORBX included mesh (hard to recall), and I'm not suspecting NZ has received any better treatment in the 2018 version.
1. Anyone confirm the need for PILOTS 2018, ...or...
2. What is the best mesh I can obtain and use for NZ?

Thanks
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: P3Dv4 and NZ mesh

Postby toprob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Sorry, Jeff, your post on the skyforce thread reminded me that I had typed a reply here, but I thought I'd saved a draft.
I don't think that you can really mix 'n match mesh with FTX NZ, as a full 'vector' product it supplies a lot of things like water bodies etc which are locked to an elevation to match their mesh. So with another mesh, you'd get lakes in holes or on plateaus etc.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Re: P3Dv4 and NZ mesh

Postby jpreou » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm

That's a good point. I did run FS Global 2010 before, but I didn't see any real difference; maybe the ORBX elevation data is better than the FS data back then. Cheers Rob.
In 'good' news; my TrackIT & TrackClipPro have survived being 14 months packed away, still attached to the headset! ... though that means I have no excuse to feed the missus for pursuing VR just yet :P
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to Technical Issues