REX Skyforce 3D

Read and report on flightsim developers progress of upcoming or completed products

Re: REX Skyforce 3D

Postby jpreou » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am

I've been using Internet Download Manager and WinZip for several years with none of those kinds of issues I see reported from time to time.
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby toprob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 am

I completely missed this release, being off the grid at the time, so I'm pleased to be able to follow the initial reports of this before rushing out and spending my money. You never know, I might decide to stick with my current weather solution, and not just HAVE to have those nice shiny new clouds.
So keep the info coming, good and bad, plus some idea of how it actually performs from people I know and trust...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

Splitpin wrote:Turns out I got my other Rex stuff from the REX store ... once I retrieved my password , made the purchase and discount was applied.
Now Im having that damm "bootstrapper" msg again ... one of you wise birds told me ages ago what to do ... but i cant find the post :unsure:

Marty - I found this on the Avsim help forum. The poster was having the same problem with the REX Airfields updates.

" Posted December 20, 2016

I found out how to install these updates. Seem you have to move your downloaded files into another folder (like ORBX downloads). In the new folder, the executable will work.

Thanks.
Stan"
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am

toprob wrote:You never know, I might decide to stick with my current weather solution, and not just HAVE to have those nice shiny new clouds.

That's how I'm feeling. It is on my list, but I have so far paid for upgrades to FSUIPC, SPAD Next, ASP4 and ASCA, and I'm not sure if I *need* new mesh when all I want covered for now is NZ (which ORBX provides), so I'm just going to hold off a little while.
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby Splitpin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 pm

emfrat wrote:
Splitpin wrote:Turns out I got my other Rex stuff from the REX store ... once I retrieved my password , made the purchase and discount was applied.
Now Im having that damm "bootstrapper" msg again ... one of you wise birds told me ages ago what to do ... but i cant find the post :unsure:

Marty - I found this on the Avsim help forum. The poster was having the same problem with the REX Airfields updates.

" Posted December 20, 2016

I found out how to install these updates. Seem you have to move your downloaded files into another folder (like ORBX downloads). In the new folder, the executable will work.

Thanks.
Stan"

Will give it a go Mike ... but no luck so far. Can i get this on DVD ?
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Ive tried every bloody thing .... now the download thing has changed and wont work. Last night I could download 6 files at the same time ... now its 3 ... and they wont start.
No option to open as admin .... anyway Ive registered on the rex forum for support, so I'll see what happens. :angry:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

On my first attempt, I clicked the files singly and they went to C:\Users\Ghanpa\downloads, which is where I put my downloads, by default. I could not do anything useful with them there, and started a second download, this time telling it to download and install using the REX Download Manager, and to download 2 files simultaneously.
This resulted in a folder C:\rexdownload\install which had the cab files, the readme.pdf, the rexeinstaller.exe with the six-sided black icon, and the msi windows installer. Right-click and run as Admin on the exe file, that kicked off the msi file, and all was well.
The pdf says to click the icon, but it does not say how to get an active icon, which it seems you can only get by using their d/l manager, which will create the structure noted above. I still have the first set of cab files in my Downloads folder. I'm not game to test the effect of creating that folder structure meself.

ATB
Mike
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Mike ... I will look at your options in the morning ... thank you by the way.
Waiting to hear back from REX.
Last night ...or the night before "windows" insisted on a major upgrade I really "needed" ... so I let it run.(all bloody night)
What it has done ... is turn my pc ..which I use for the forum and flying, into a bloody smartphone. Heaps of Apps I didn't ask for , and more.
I understand the security stuff , but the rest is just fluff I don't need or want.
Would have been nice to have been asked what I wanted.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Bloody Microsoft - they have snuck in the upgrade to WIN10, by the sound of it. You should be able to use System Restore to roll back the change and get back to Win7.
( most of the 'security' stuff is just to scare you into allowing the upgrade. I run Win7x64 and I have not accepted any updates for a couple of years now.) :angry:
ATB
Mike
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Mike Ive been using W10 for ages .... this was an update for it self.
Haven't been back to Rex yet ... will wait and see what I get from their support team.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 am

Splitpin wrote:Mike Ive been using W10 for ages .... this was an update for it self.
Haven't been back to Rex yet ... will wait and see what I get from their support team.

LOL - that sort of thing is the reason I stayed with Win7 - but at least in W10, the rollback thing is more readily available.
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Don't want to roll back, w10 has been fine so far.
Like you with your last purchase, I just want the buggers who took my money to sort the bloody mess out ...or, If it's me, tell me how to fix it.
Not too much to ask I think.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Splitpin wrote:Don't want to roll back, w10 has been fine so far.
Like you with your last purchase, I just want the buggers who took my money to sort the bloody mess out ...or, If it's me, tell me how to fix it.
Not too much to ask I think.

Marty, AFAIK, it is very easy in W10 to roll back to the pre-update situation. MS were obviously expecting major stuff-ups.
As for REX, they need to improve their install instructions.. Actually the best thing to do would be to remove the Manual download/install option. It doesn't work, but "download and install using REX D/load Manager" did the job, even though it cost me twice the bandwidth, being a second download.
Busy at the moment with prawn cutlets and Sauv Blanc - back later :arrr:
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Mike , cant even get the bloody downloader to work <_<
Still no reply from their support team , but thats ok , its the holiday period. I'll wait ... until the end of this week. :angry:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Previous

Return to Announcements