Need advcice on HD Mesh for Xplane 11

A single forum dedicated to all other non Microsoft flight simulation games

Need advcice on HD Mesh for Xplane 11

Postby buzzard2008 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:55 am

Heya guys have recently purchased Xplane 11 and am currently running it out of the box, am just wondering, seeing as I have all the global scenery packages that come with the download is it worth me installing HD MeshV3 (not the whole globe just areas of interest)/ UHD Mesh/ or NZ Pro? Will any of this scenery collide with the global packages?. Which is preferred UHD Mesh or the plain HD Mesh V3
I understand from what Ive read that there are Pro's and Cons in Either package, Just wanted to get some feedback thats all and wanting to know if they may collide with future scenery projects up and coming? Cheers in advance guys, especially NZ Pro as am looking forward to installing some of Robins Godzone scenery into Xplane at some stage
buzzard2008

Topic author

Re: Need advcice on HD Mesh for Xplane 11

Postby dart15 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I converted to x-Plane 11 a few months back. Quite a wrench because i was reasonably heavily invested in FSX but eventually I just got fed up with the constant stuttering. The x-plane experience is much more fluid and engaging IMHO but its not perfect. I have the NZ Pro mesh etc installed together the NZCH and NZAA scenaries. I'm currently trying to work out how to eliminate the blasted wind generators which appear in quite inconvenient places (eg NZCH 02 approach and trees that cover the strip at Tekapo - I think I need to apply exclusions?) but that aside it works very well. I just wish more developers would get on board with x-Plane 11 because it can be a very immersive experience.
dart15
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 pm

And I can't help much here, I'm fully aware I need to learn a whole new lot of rules about priority and exclusions:) Plus, there are questions on my list like 'do I need to do my own DEM for X-plane?'
However, I have at least managed to cut down the forest at Tekapo:)
We really need a series of 'X-plane for MSFS users' tutorials, just to figure out the similarities and differences.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:10 am

Where does one aquire the NZCH NZAA Scenery for Xplane 11?
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby dart15 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 pm

dart15
Forum Addict

Postby dart15 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:01 pm

toprob wrote:However, I have at least managed to cut down the forest at Tekapo:)

Are you going to share Rob? Just something to help get me started......
dart15
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:46 pm

[quote="dart15]
Are you going to share Rob? Just something to help get me started......[/quote]

Well, I'm not that sure that I could supply much in the way of useful advice, but I'll explain what I did. I started out with a FS2XPlane conversion of my own Tekapo, which didn't exclude the forest from the middle of the runway, so I loaded it into Overlay Editor, and added a forest exclusion there.

Overlay Editor is a great way to tidy up an area, but I'm not too sure whether you can use it to edit default areas. Of course in this case the forest is probably part of NZ Pro? You might need to read the Overlay Editor manual for exactly what you can edit.

Or you could simply start over with WED, and make your own airport. This is my preferred method for matching airports to photoscenery.

Maybe take a look at Overlay Editor first, and see what you can do there, otherwise give WED a go.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby kiwi_the_iwik » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi all,

Yes - OverlayEditor is ideal for editing scenery packages and creating exclusion zones, etc. It's got a very good GUI and offers rotatable 3D perspectives. However, WED is designed for a more in-depth creative/edit experience (it does have a pretty steep learning curve - although, when you've got the hang of it, the program is awesome). If you're stuck when using WED, there are a number of excellent tutorials, waltkthroughs and FAQs, especially on YouTube or on the X-Plane.org forums.

Just a quick note on how scenery is displayed: When creating or editing a scenery package or an exclusion zone (forests, roads, objects, etc.), be sure that after you save it in the Custom Scenery folder it sits above any OSM/Mesh/Airport files in the scenery.ini file list (also located in the Custom Scenery folder, and easily editable in Notepad). This vitally important file tells the sim which load order the scenery is generated on startup - so Mesh files need to go to the bottom, then photoscenery, OSM files and finally airport scenery at the top. Library files can go anywhere in the list, though.

In my experience I have found that it's also important to put the Global Airports file as the last airport scenery file in the list, as it may load buildings over the top of other airports. Designers tend to put exclusion zones in their packages, so keeping them above the Global Airports file will make sure their scenery looks as it should.

Cheers,

Aaron
kiwi_the_iwik

Postby chopper_nut » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I've just started playing with XP11 and the NZ Pro mesh and overlay. I can't get it to display anywhere near the way it should in the screen shots. I've figured out that it's the mesh that messes everything up. Running with the default mesh and the overlay looks a lot nicer. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Return to Other Flight Simulator Games