A question for subscribers

The official REAL NZ support forum

Do you use the 'Real NZ' Dunedin custom autogen trees/Autogen Config Merger Tool?

Yes, I have it installed and working
90%
I would if I had some NZ scenery which used custom scenery
No votes
No, I don't use tools like the Autogen Config Merger Tool
5%
No, I could never get it to go:(
5%

Total votes : 20

A question for subscribers

Postby toprob » Mon May 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Here's a quick question for subscribers, as I need to decide whether to include the custom autogen trees in future Subscription releases. (Initially the Coromandel.)

This is really aimed at subscribers only, but anyone can answer, as it may apply to all future Real NZ/Godzone releases. However if you never buy scenery, please don't partake!

Some info on the issue:
This custom autogen is added to the autogen configuration files, via a tool called Autogen Configuration Merger Tool, devised by Arno at FSDeveloper, to allow developers to add their own definitions to the autogen without having to overwrite the autogen files, and to prevent other developers from overwriting them. This tool runs when the simulator runs, and checks the autogen to make sure that the definitions are there, and if not, adds them. So it is called by the exe.xml file.

Some people hate anything which is called by exe.xml, but I don't really know why this is. Those who have bought Real NZ Dunedin will already know how this works, the installer also installs the Merger tool, which requires user input and an understanding of the process.
In New Zealand, the main culprit who overwrites the descriptions is Orbx, and they do it every time FTX Central runs. This would ordinarily mean that no other developers could use custom autogen, so Arno's tool is a great solution.

Because the tool runs when the sim runs, any additions made by it are not able to be used until the sim is closed and rerun. This is a nuisance, and if you use FTX Central a lot, you will find that this happens a lot. If you don't, then you may only need to run the tool once, when it is installed and then forget about it.

The alternative is to use default autogen, which I would really hate to have to do. Or offer a choice to users, provided there are enough who are against it.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: A question for subscribers

Postby jpreou » Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm

As you know, Rob, I don't have a sim at the moment. But my take on your question is this...
If I use your scenery and it includes an option for 'better' trees (from an NZ perspective), even as a separate add-on, then YES, I would use it.
My goal when I come back in is to choose the sim that best depicts NZ for GA flying; I won't be concerned with much else.
Cheers
--
Jeff, ChCh, NZ
jpreou
Sim-holic

Postby cowpatz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 am

Rob I am not sure if I have this installed. I can't say that I have seen it. There is no folder: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\SceneryDesign.org\AutogenConfigurationMerger

Should I uninstall and reinstall? I'm running ORBX NZSI at the moment.

A bit academic as I will be moving to P3D4 as soon as FSUIPC5 is available.

By the way do you have people flow (or equiv) in your NZDN scenery or is this something ORBX NZDN is causing?
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm

cowpatz wrote:Rob I am not sure if I have this installed. I can't say that I have seen it. There is no folder: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\SceneryDesign.org\AutogenConfigurationMerger

Should I uninstall and reinstall? I'm running ORBX NZSI at the moment.

A bit academic as I will be moving to P3D4 as soon as FSUIPC5 is available.

By the way do you have people flow (or equiv) in your NZDN scenery or is this something ORBX NZDN is causing?

There's a patch which should fix that.

I did exclude most FTX elements at NZDN, not sure if this included all the people, I'll check when I have access to FSX.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Rob just to be clear I'm running P3D V3.3
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:07 pm

I have the autogen tool all up and running but I still have a few minor issues with the ORBX NZDN. Some screens below.

Quite a few cabs there !!! and more people flow.

I might have to see about a new image host. The free version of PB is just saturated with adds and video that uses the very bandwidth that you want to upload images to.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Have you previously set the FTX Insertion Point so it loads first? Otherwise my excludes won't work.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Should be set ok. NZTI seems to have elevation issues with some humps and hollows.

cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:20 pm

It should be the other way around -- FTX needs to be loaded first, so below any Real NZ/Godzone scenery.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby NZ255 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:52 pm

toprob wrote:FTX needs to be loaded first, so below any Real NZ/Godzone scenery.

That could be interpreted a few different ways :)

Should Steve select Ant's Brisbane in his list?
Nick
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:13 pm

NZ255 wrote:That could be interpreted a few different ways :)

Should Steve select Ant's Brisbane in his list?

Yes, you are right, I have a screenshot showing the way it should work, but it's the old FTX Central.

Generally, any 'base' scenery should be underneath any airports. So the 'lower' items set things like elevation mesh etc, and the higher items fix the mess they made. So in this case, if he has FTX Oz, then he should drop FTX down below any airport which lives in an FTX area.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Yeah a little unclear that insertion point stuff.
Anyway all sorted and looking great.
Thanks
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Return to Godzone 'Real New Zealand' Scenery Support