Problem with Ortho4xp in xplane

A single forum dedicated to all other non Microsoft flight simulation games

Re: Problem with Ortho4xp in xplane

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Awesome guys thankyou so much for your time tips and advice, it's a lot to take in for me, I don't even know what a Geotiff or a DDS file is lol, but am not too bad at following instructions, I will watch all the tutorials and try to learn this stuff, am just wondering do I just delete what I have done and simply start again using these new tips? Also I purchased Aerofly FS2 the other day, my god I feel like a kid in a candy store with all these new Sims coming out, I've had a short play with it but have to drop the sliders, put nvidia inspector and control panel back to default and start from scratch, gotta get rid of stutters and believe it or not bloody antialiasing is bugging me in this one too!!!! Far out man I thought something like that would be sorted by now, drives me nuts as I'm 90 % for the visuals myself Robin :-) so yeah thanks again Robin and Kiwi and not doubt I may have to call on your advice again in the future :-)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Oh I forgot, my specs are Intel (R)Core (TM) i76700 processor 8GB DDR4 Ram and a GTX750TI card, also my c drive is 1TB with 600 GB left km pretty sure it's a SSD my computer guy installed, see I don't even know what I have in my computer lol, do you think this will be enough to learn on?
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Ive just created an account with LINZ but I dont see anything about the "key" you mention KIWI, I checked my email comformation but there was nothing about it in there either, Where should I be looking? Cheers
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Wed May 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Click on your name on their site, then 'APIs and Web Services' -- 'Create a new API key'

EDIT: I'd be keen to see the results from this, but looking at the data available via LINZ Web Service in Global Mapper, only the very old images are available -- I'm not sure, but this is likely to be the 'old' imagery which I used for FS2004 photoscenery -- that is, 2.5 metre/px resolution. I can't see any of the newer, high resolution stuff.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Ive been clicking on the APIs Webservices dropbox but nothing happens hmmmm, Id be keen to see your results let alone mine lol
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Its ok Im on to that bit now :-)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Hmmmm I have deletyed the key in the Cab addresses file in the Nerw Zealand section and replaced it with my key was I supposed to do that? I did and now when trying to launch Ortho4xp I get an error saying "The File Carnet_d_addresses.py does not follow the syntactic rules" and just closes, I would post a screenshot but for some reason Im not getting the option at the mo, Ive dopne something wrong here lol
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Wed May 10, 2017 6:14 pm

I guess you would just replace the key in this section, making sure that everything else stays the same:

####################################################
elif website=='NZ':
server=random.randint(1,4)
dico_letters={1:"a",2:"b",3:"c",4:"d"}
url= "https://tiles-"+dico_letters[server]+".data-cdn.linz.govt.nz/services;"+\
"key=2758b48d7a4446a6a49d2380b0882575/tiles/v4/layer=1934/"+\
str(zoomlevel)+"/"+str(til_x)+"/"+str(til_y)+".png"
fake_headers=fake_headers_generic

EDIT: I've added the LINZ server to both QGIS and Global Mapper, but I'll leave it to someone else to get it working in Ortho4XP!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 pm

Heya Robin nope I seem to be stuck on this bit, I noticed the = sign was missing so I edited that in and re pasted my key but am still getting the same error when I try to open up Orthoxp, Im off to bed now Ive had enough for this evening lol< I did get Aerosoft somewhat sorted and went for a fly round the grand canyon and the scenery is absolutely stunning!!!! Once I figure out how to take screenshots I will post a couple, would it be all good to post them on this thread or is somewhere else on the forum better suited?
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 am

Well I now have my Linz key pasted into the correct location and Ortho 4xp opens up fine with no more error message but I can't find LINZ anywhere in the datasource drop box, ohhhhhh boy lol
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 11, 2017 11:20 am

Ok, so I have no clue about this, but from the script I posted above, I think the choice is just 'NZ', as the only label seems to be "elif website=='NZ' "
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Hmmm "NZ" was in there already, I've deleted what I have and am at the moment downloading a couple more tiles for south Wellington using NZ, was the natural choice but because it's already there from the start it makes me wonder, I got some nice shots of Paraparaumu and surrounding hills before I deleted everything, they were quite good but can't seem to find the post images option on my pc, it's on my phone but that's no good to me
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Thu May 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes, you are not changing any server info, you are just entering your own key -- did this server work before you did this? I don't know if it was a working key or just a placeholder, but I guess it could have been working before hand, using someone else's key. If that's the case, no doubt their account gets some pounding.

One day I will install Ortho4XP again, but I do baulk at the install process --
Orbx4XP author: 'hey, making ortho scenery is so easy, anyone can do it, so to prevent just anyone from making great scenery, we've fudged the install process so that you need to jump through hoops. If you survive the process, you're ready for the next step!"

Rob: 'WTH!!!????'
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Lol I feel ya pain, I'm just messing around/learning, most of the time I haven't a clue what I'm doing, tell ya what aerofly is quite stunning once you find the wet spot for your system , I can't wait to purchase the Switzerland scenery pack it looks stunning, if someone / I could put together a whole NZ package like this for aerofly I'd be frothing at the mouth, I'd pay $200 for scenery like that of the homeland with all the buildings/mountains n stuff,
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm getting 60fps plus flying over big cities like San Diego even at night and the lighting is spectacular! I now know how to do a screenshot so will see if I can get some up after Ortho has finished downloading :-)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby buzzard2008 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:15 am

Well Robin that was a waste of about 8 hrs, after all that I just ended up with black tiles
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby kiwi_the_iwik » Fri May 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi Buzzard,

I think the black tiles you're seeing are the actual mesh tiles. It seems that the orthophotos haven't been picked up from the LINZ server, and you're just left with a blank canvas.

Have you tried using other ortho sources (such as GE2 - which is very high quality) and then selected some small areas on the map to render? My suggestion is to not go overboard, and just do little tests at a time to fine-tune your skills...

I agree that it's a convoluted exercise to get everything to work (dealing with Python scripts and terminal commands was seriously daunting to start with, but I got there in the end...), but once it is set up and running correctly, the results are amazing!

PM me if you're still having problems, and I'll see what I can do to help... :)

Cheers,

Aaron
kiwi_the_iwik

Postby toprob » Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm

I'll leave the X-plane stuff to you, Aaron!

Here's a good reason to learn Python -- Mighty Ape have a programmable lego-compatible robot for $70!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:27 am

Awesome Aaron that would be extremely helpful, I promise I won't bother you too much lol, but am really keen to get some good results, I have to work Saturday bUT as soon as I get home will have a go at using Ge2, I thought that once you got your key sorted LINZ would show up in the Dropbox but I've noticed that even when I used BING it seemed to be using LINZ as a source anyway would that be correct?

ANDY :)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Previous

Return to Other Flight Simulator Games