DCS Madness

A single forum dedicated to all other non Microsoft flight simulation games

Re: DCS Madness

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:17 am

Done the flight training after watching MASH and SKIPPY ... three man helicopter , that's without weapons , it is very limited for a combat flight simulation.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby SUBS17 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:14 pm

You can use it for a JTAC, its not bad of course you have to be low and also can be used as an Air Ambulance. It could also carry twin M60 or M37C .30.
SUBS17

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

That would be a scary prospect .... you the pilot sitting in a fish bowl for all to see strafing troops :@ .... Oophs how did they see me :lol: ... not to mention a very vulnerable engine and control system :wacko: .... OK for One hardened convict like a David Grey or the Stanley Graham .. but even the Chinese weapon of choice in the time the Russian PPSh squirt gun and the heavier PK of the period ... Oophs , I don't think so 'Bob' !
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby SUBS17 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:27 am

Forward Observers used to fly in them as passengers and direct Artillery fire on enemy positions which you can do as well as direct aircraft but it would also want the addition of laser designator for that purpose. So they are not supposed to get shot at as they hang back and view the enemy position from a distance. Not all missions in DCS involve attacking tgts the UH1 can be used for dropping off supplies and troops in mp/sp and so can the Sioux.
SUBS17

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:25 am

Back in the day using Bell 47's as FAC/artillery spotting lasers were not invented, all done by the old map and radio :) , I have seen footage on trials while on a proving ground , I'm very sure it was mentioned this was only used in training , they mentioned the Wasp being the most successful helicopter used in combat in this way during the 1982 Falklands War, the Argentinian air force counted that using Pucara aircraft shooting one down . Well details on that, even the commanders on the ground said the Wasp was woefully inadequate but the only type they had, the other being a Gazelle which also suffered with light ground fire.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby SUBS17 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm

The Sioux can be used for training to teach new pilots how to fly helicopters IRL it has been used for FAC the reason its good for it is because of the bubble canopy gives a good view of the area. The mention of a laser is because infantry can carry them so that's why I mentioned it. On the battlefield you can fly missions as a FAC/FO without engaging the enemy so long as you know where they are. DCS supports JTAC with 9 line briefings etc so its quite good if someone wanted to do it they can my own use for a Sioux is to teach new pilots though.
SUBS17

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:41 pm

:D Would have been quite funny , enemy training camp .. showing a B-47 as a target with a 'JUST SHOOT HERE' at the goldfish bowl . :@
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Well I got carried away and pre-ordered the Nomandy map. Cost around seventy dollars nu zilland with the ground stuff thrown in for good measure.I think it will be worth the 7 plus weeks wait time as you get a wee bit of a discount.I must admit I was not to sure if I wanted the ground equipment that much but I suppose it will lend a liitle more realism to the map .
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:37 pm

That is an excellent theme for a combat area, WWII and this region would have to be the most exciting area for warfare , the real use in large scale of tactical aerial warfare, it would make for a lotta fun, it would be interesting to see screen course even be more interesting to see the medium bomber make an entrance, the Martin B-26 Marauder comes into mind here .. I don't know how DCS really works but with all the 'combat strike maps' I have here the would be fun to change the attack ... you could spend hours planning a mission alone , I doubt very much if I will be going there at the mo but I will be looking forward to see a players updates .... so you don't get to see it yet for that cost ?
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Ian Warren wrote:That is an excellent theme for a combat area, WWII and this region would have to be the most exciting area for warfare , the real use in large scale of tactical aerial warfare, it would make for a lotta fun, it would be interesting to see screen course even be more interesting to see the medium bomber make an entrance, the Martin B-26 Marauder comes into mind here .. I don't know how DCS really works but with all the 'combat strike maps' I have here the would be fun to change the attack ... you could spend hours planning a mission alone , I doubt very much if I will be going there at the mo but I will be looking forward to see a players updates .... so you don't get to see it yet for that cost ?

Nope you don't get anything till release as far as I can see Ian.Some of the early backers or what eva they call them are going to get the Map gifted for all their early contributions to help kickstart the project. I have been encouraged to get this with all the WWII mods available also.The Kitthawk is pretty good to fly.it uses the Mustangs cockpit and FM.There is also a P38,P39,B17,C47,Tempest MkII and MkVI,F4U corsair, Mig 3 and another 3 Japanese types and more coming.

Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am

I'd just been interested to compare the WWII pre and post strike photos compared to colour landscape, makes it a little more difficult interpreting from the black and white but the maps would give a good idea to help, the other area which would be interesting , are they going to develop the scenery to have a full on 'June 6th'.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:53 am

Re June the Sixth.Yes that will be a big challenge for mission builders alright.Hope they can put something together.Next year will be a Campaign for this.

Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Dinga » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Upuauts Bell 47 has been released as a Pre Alpha.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182589&page=5

See the Authors post 47
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:38 pm

The old 47 , with the release of the old 2004 model years back was a WOW ... don't think get it tho ,others in the sim word look interesting .. Skyraider for example
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Dinga » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Oh the Sky Raider would be a good one for sure.Lets see now only 2 weeks maybe :rolleyes:
Seriously though I would be happy to see one of these third party mods finished.
Getting back to the Sioux well that's what I like to call it ,shame its on hold,however what has been presented so far is
a rather good mod,with a bit more work it will be an excellent addition to DCS.
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Dinga » Sat May 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Just a quick update on the Normandy map.
Started DL the update you need on DCS 2.0 before you can actually install the new Map.That was over 4 hrs ago I think.I have so far, 12 gigs only 2 to go at a wowful 0.5 KBs a sec ,that's with my 50 peers buddies :) You guys who are also DL there maybe someone here,there is a lot of guys saying you can not actually DL the Map through the in game module manager at the moment.Untill they get that sorted you have to use the command line
DCS_updater.exe install NORMANDY_terrain WWII-ARMOUR

that's assuming you got the Armour pack as well :)

The Map download, assuming I can get it, will be a bit quicker I hope. :sleepy:
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Dinga » Sat May 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Now its all turned to custard .Down load has stopped at 84%.Still uploading, not sure what to do . :unsure:
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Dinga » Mon May 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Well finally got it across the line .It actually took longer to download the update for DCS 2.0 than the the Normandy map and Asset pack :D
Fired her up and wow it sure is brilliant.A bit to to much light ,needs to be toned down around early morning, is to bright for my liking. B-)
I am using the occulus Rift and its looking great.There is still a lot of map optimization to come I hope.I am using a 980ti video card,with 16 meg of ram and 4 ghz processor all standard, no overclocking.I don't bother checking frame rates ,I can tell just by the way the game runs if my system can handle it ,and you no in VR pretty soon if things are not running smooth.
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby SUBS17 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 am

DCS F/A-18C plus Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick at E3:

Watch on youtube.com
SUBS17

Topic author

Postby SUBS17 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am

Watch on youtube.com

Also coming soon from Belsimtek F4E and Mi24P.
SUBS17

Topic author

PreviousNext

Return to Other Flight Simulator Games