SimAddicts Anonymous

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Re: SimAddicts Anonymous

Postby AceNZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am

The airport is quite far form where I live so I don't get down there much but if Im passing though I can take some photos. I may be going out there later in February for a flight in a helicopter so could get some aerial shots but that hasn't been confirmed yet. :)
AceNZ

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Ryan, there be no rush, mention it to the lads at Oamaru airfield and we see what can come of it B-)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Hey Ryan, welcome to NZFF mate.
Great to hear you've made a nice early start to real-world flying, as well as running some decent payware sim items. I'd love to learn to fly a chopper, but only likely if I win Lotto :)
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Just Saying Hello

Postby Flywheel » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Maybe the wrong place, but I can't find an introduction area.
Just thought I would pop my head in to say hello from Manchester. My love of aviation came about when as a youngster my family moved to New Zealand for a couple of years. We went over in 1971 and flew from London to Singapore on a Saber Air DC-8-61 - in fact it was the ONLY DC8 used by Saber Air, leased from Trans International Airlines - I had the great fortune of being allowed to visit the cockpit and as a thirteen-year-old I was blown away by that experience. What happened? I was invited to sit in the jump seat while the pilots ate their lunch...exciting stuff! We arrived in Gisborne and there until 1973 and I think that for most of that time I was to be found at the airport watching the F27 Friendships of NAC coming and going, with extended periods of inactivity in between each one. When not watching them I was occupied with the coming and goings of the Fieldair DC3. Not sure of the circumstances that led to it now, but I did get permission for a look at the DC3 cockpit - I'm not sure if that was really allowed, but I suppose I got that look because I was a daily fixture there. Coming home we flew a F27 to Auckland and then Air New Zealand DC10 back to England. I was allowed a brief visit to the DC-10 cockpit, just a few minutes, but it was nonetheless heck of a thrill

Sorry for all the reminiscence, but just thought I would like to share how I fell in love with civil aviation and the hard-wired memories of the privilege of experiencing the business end of what are now classic aircraft.
Flywheel

Re: Just Saying Hello

Postby Fozzer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello Flywheel ..... :groupwave: ...!

...(you must have a proper name?).... :wink2: ...!

Welcome to the Mad House in the Southern Hemisphere!

The good news: Its warmer there, than it is in England at the moment!

Ta for all the info!

My only experience with Aircraft....Auster Aiglet Trainer in 1955 in the British Army, and a couple of trial flights in a Cessna 150/152 at my local Shobdon Airfield (EGBS) in 2004.

Nowadays, I just pretend to fly around Southern California in a Cessna 150 Aerobat, in the warmth, and gorgeous scenery.

..and pretend that I am riding Route 66 on my Honda Cruiser Motor Bike...!

Have fun, Flywheel!

Paul....in Herefordshire, in the land of the Mercians..... :D ...!
Fozzer
NZFF Pro

Postby Flywheel » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Fozzer wrote:Hello Flywheel ..... :groupwave: ...!

Flywheel is a proper name! :P

Although I do sometimes get called Lucy
Flywheel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Flywheel wrote:
Fozzer wrote:Hello Flywheel ..... :groupwave: ...!

Flywheel is a proper name! :P

Although I do sometimes get called Lucy

It could have been...SUE!... :o ...>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4

Paul...I sometimes get called; ..."Oi You!".... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
NZFF Pro

Postby Flywheel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:01 am

Fozzer wrote:It could have been...SUE!... :o ...>>>

Well, as I'm not a fella I guess it could have been Sue.
Flywheel

Postby dbcunnz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:06 am

Wellcome to NZFF lucky and yes there is a place to introduce yourself its pinned in the General section and headed up "SimAddicts Anonymous"
I will leave it here for the moment but will move it into the SimAddicts Anonymous thread latter.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Flywheel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:09 am

dbcunnz wrote:Wellcome to NZFF lucky and yes there is a place to introduce yourself its pinned in the General section and headed up "SimAddicts Anonymous"
I will leave it here for the moment but will move it into the SimAddicts Anonymous thread latter.

Ahhhh...ok. :huh:
Flywheel

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 am

Flywheel wrote:We went over in 1971 and flew from London to Singapore on a Saber Air DC-8-61 - in fact it was the ONLY DC8 used by Saber Air, leased from Trans International Airlines - Coming home we flew a F27 to Auckland and then Air New Zealand DC10 back to England. I was allowed a brief visit to the DC-10 cockpit, just a few minutes, but it was nonetheless heck of a thrill

Hi ya FW, Crikey SABER AIR ! that is an airline I have not heard of for a hundred years, well least last century, I missed out on flying on the DC-8 but flew on the 10's, the cockpit rides, the second and last flight on the DC-10 I got in the cockpit return from Australia in 1980. SABER AIR, I think I have seen a paint of that aircraft recent , may have been a JUSTFLIGHT aircraft, I'll have to check... please take your seat and enjoy the ride.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Flywheel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:21 am

Hi Ian.
What little I could discover is that Saber Air was operated by Singapore Airlines of the time and was operational for not much more than two years, a charter DC-8 between Gatwick and Singapore. I have found one photo of the plane but as it is on an airline forum and not my property I don't think I can post it here.

Some very touching cat photos from you, Ian, very nice indeed.
Flywheel

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:33 am

FW, posting photo's from social media is all good , generally they have watermarks or the listing/credit on the border, everyone shares them around.

Me and my cats, fluffy four legged friends with a tail, I'm sorta a cat magnet .. I do like dogs and and all sorts , simply a puss is more suited for the city and small home environment, my co-pilots :)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Flywheel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:43 am

Ian Warren wrote:FW, posting photo's from social media is all good

Negative, this is on an airline forum - mind you, I lifted it for desktop wallpaper, so that's all good.
Flywheel

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:50 am

It would be well worth seeing the photo , SABER AIR long gone, now it is simply historical photo, with that you may get one to paint the aircraft and bring it back to life B-)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Flywheel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Having been informed by Ian this is in the public domain, which is news to me as I haven't spotted it anywhere else......

Flywheel

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:21 am

I'd have to look for the extra photo's I have here, sure it was a Green livery, just shows how aged the photo is , as you can see you have left the authors name and airliners.net, across other regular sites many post these photo's up specifically for other to use to paint the aircraft up for Flight Simulation.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Kaihukid » Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi guys, I have been into flight simming since the land was green ( just green ) and the sea was blue, that was back in 95 I think. Today I still have and get a great deal of pleasure cruising into new places on the sim I have built up over the years, but have a slight problem now. I am an Orbx fan and have many of their addons, but all of which are taking a toll on my poor old PC. As I live in Whangarei, I would like to know if there are any other sim fans who could give me some guidence on how to get the best from my setup. I do enjoy my simulator, but get very frustated trying to nut out problems on my own, my wife ( bless her ) cant understand what can keep someone up till the small hours because the street lights have squares around them. But we all have our crosses to bear.
So, anyone out there from Whangarei?
Kaihukid

Previous

Return to General