AI locator tool

Find previews, downloads and announcements from our members who have created their own freeware addons for flight simulator here.

AI locator tool

Postby deeknow » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Not sure about you guys but I have a billion and one AI installed in my FSX rig and it does my head in when I come across a machine that has an incorrect texture reference which results in the dreaded black-livery look. So I whipped up a wee app tonight using the SimConnect API in the SDK to show AI in the vicinity of your aircraft. Screenie follows where you can see the app top-right. As a result I can tweak the aircraft.cfg file for the offending aircraft and sleep easy.

If anyone is interested I can share the app, and if you have any ideas for other data that might be useful or features to add let me know. Was thinking of making it an AI spotter kind of tool, sad yes, but might be fun as should be able to show the planned schedule for each machine. May be something out there already so don't wanna reinvent the wheel. I imagine there prolly are tools that will validate all your CFG files but I dont know of any.

deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: AI locator tool

Postby omitchell » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:12 pm

This will be a most useful tool
Founder and Former CEO of VANZ

"You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air
and you never hear the end of it."
Air Traffic Controller, New York TRACON
Westbury, L.I
omitchell

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:46 am

That is the weird thing with AI and that is a good example, either the textures are black or they are white and require a converter, I brought a DX10 converter version for the FTX traffic, I use Traffic360 for outside airports outside NZ, what AI packages do you use?
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 am

Ian Warren wrote:That is the weird thing with AI and that is a good example, either the textures are black or they are white and require a converter, I brought a DX10 converter version for the FTX traffic, I use Traffic360 for outside airports outside NZ, what AI packages do you use?

The black effect is nearly always related to the texture folder name being wrong in the aircraft.cfg file. Easy to fix, hard to find, thus the tool which helps identify which it is.

Re packages, I have loads of VOZ, WOAI and PAI packages, plus dozens of my own that I've hand crafted. I must have 300 or so AI BGLs in the system easy.
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:02 am

deeknow wrote:The black effect is nearly always related to the texture folder name being wrong in the aircraft.cfg file.

Its the same with painting model and doing textures , strange a file is release with this issue unless the person did not check it themselves, biggest thing there is so many possibles.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby gsnde » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:01 pm

My AI aircraft editor will validate all aircraft below a given folder against a configurable set of checks (model, texture, air file, etc). You find it at The Owls Nest download center.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin

________________________________________________________________________________
The Owl's Nest * Military Aircraft Reference * ICAO Reference * Distance Calculator * MAIW, Military AI & UKMil Reference
gsnde
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:39 am

Well lads , its off to Martins Owl Nest and give it a try , tho have to get back into FS be a good excuse to do so.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Return to NZFF Members' Freeware Projects