P3D

A forum specifically to discuss the latest and greatest of all flight simulators

Postby toprob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:43 am

scaber wrote:
QUOTE (scaber @ Feb 12 2014,8:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rob, not trying to poke my oar in (well, trying but politely I hope) seeing as I have toyed with the idea of P3D too I would be interested in taking a look see too. I can also provide beer if that's a deciding factor!!

You don't have to ask. Although I might need to squash the rumour that this is just a push to replenish the beer fridge...
Anyway, the Prepar3D EULA doesn't allow entertaining...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Jamessx » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am

Prepar3D 2.1 Update RELEASED http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2014/02/4845/

Jamessx
Last edited by Jamessx on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamessx
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:52 am

toprob wrote:
QUOTE (toprob @ Feb 12 2014,10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't have to ask. Although I might need to squash the rumour that this is just a push to replenish the beer fridge...

laugh.gif There always a bloody smart ass amongst us laugh.gif

Jamessx wrote:
QUOTE (Jamessx @ Feb 12 2014,10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prepar3D 2.1 Update RELEASED

Thanks for the HU Alex , I have not brought a prezzie for a whiles , I'll Zap into this today and check it out smile.gif
Last edited by Ian Warren on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 am

Patch works a treat, fixed the funny trees by the look of it, and the water blend on photoreal. Excellent!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby scaber » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:53 pm

toprob wrote:
QUOTE (toprob @ Feb 12 2014,10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No no, it's all in the interests of research . . . . and, maybe, getting a bit happy . . . .
|---------- Virtual Tour and Panoramic Photography ---------|
|-------------------- greg mckenzie, Christchurch -------------------|
scaber

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm

scaber wrote:
QUOTE (scaber @ Feb 12 2014,7:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No no, it's all in the interests of research . . . . and, maybe, getting a bit happy . . . .

Hmmmmm , seems that research thingy maybe catching on
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Adrian Brausch » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm

If I was to get P3D,..which one to I buy,..Academic ?....
Adrian Brausch

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Adrian Brausch wrote:
QUOTE (Adrian Brausch @ Feb 19 2014,10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was to get P3D,..which one to I buy,..Academic ?....

Hey ya Mister Bouncy Elephant .. be the only one I'd buy .. after all I'm told I'm a Student smile.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Yob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Feb 19 2014,7:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey ya Mister Bouncy Elephant .. be the only one I'd buy .. after all I'm told I'm a Student smile.gif

Of history tongue.gif
Eli'jah
Yob
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Yob wrote:
QUOTE (Yob @ Feb 25 2014,2:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of history tongue.gif

And elevations and the ups and downs .. all the bumpy things not to mention the guns .. we need those since the 9/11s and the boring builds, the passenger stairs - Double tongue.gif tongue.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Where's the Rah! Rah! a 30-post thread about P3D and it's mostly about Where Shall We Have Tea??
I hear snippets about OOM and This, and That.
Are we actually still stuck in the 4th warmover of the original sloppy Effeh Sex Code?
Drat, I thought I was ready for a new sim.
Think I'll have to go to War... plane.gif
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah, it's been hard to find P3D users to test stuff, I don't think that many have had a go yet -- which is exactly what I'd expect in NZ. A huge download, bit of an expense (depending on your license), not many ready-to-go addons, and now a patch which has probably had a bit more negative press than the 2.0 release -- although it did solve most of the problems. It does need some finicky management to contol the OOMs, though, which is what we were all trying to keep away from originally. (I've never had an OOM in FSX. I never had an OOM in P3D2.0. I was getting OOMs every flight in 2.1. Now I"m a lot more careful. But I don't think I've seen the last one.)

I did want some of the, ahem, more vocal members to come have a look, and I'm still keen to have an informal local chapter meeting ("pissup") at some stage, but I don't think that I'll be selling a lot of copies. Don't get me wrong, I love P3D, and I find going back to FSX gives me cartoony visuals, albeit reliable performance and working gauges....

But still, I'd give LM 8/10, and I still believe that this is the future. It's just the damn present which is the tricky bit.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey Rob, I thought you just told us recently FSX was dead tongue.gif
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
OnlineUser avatar
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:46 pm

deeknow wrote:
QUOTE (deeknow @ Feb 25 2014,6:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Rob, I thought you just told us recently FSX was dead :P

Yes, I'm 100% sure that we won't see one single update/patch/improvement for FSX ever again. Which makes it very dead.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby deeknow » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 pm

toprob wrote:
QUOTE (toprob @ Feb 25 2014,6:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I'm 100% sure that we won't see one single update/patch/improvement for FSX ever again. Which makes it very dead.

Haha, I see you're in fine humor as usual
By your logic FSX was dead the day SP1 came out, sorry Rob but if 3rd parties are still developing for it... it aint dead
Last edited by deeknow on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
OnlineUser avatar
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Kelvinr » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:37 pm

deeknow wrote:
QUOTE (deeknow @ Feb 25 2014,8:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, I see you're in fine humor as usual
By your logic FSX was dead the day SP1 came out, sorry Rob but if 3rd parties are still developing for it... it aint dead

3rd parties have to develop for it, there's nothing else. When something is your livelihood you will keep at it to maintain it smile.gif

I think the term dead is a little subjective and it needs to be in context. It is dead in terms of future development involving new technologies but it may not be dead in terms of the average Joe loading up a flight at the end of a hard days work (or not) and pushing that throttle forward. So we have two types of dead here biggrin.gif

I personally see FSX as both types of dead (in my subjective and humble opinion)

Cheers,

K.
--------------------------------------
Kelvinr
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:40 pm

A few may want to steep back in time a return to FS9 , then some screens could come "ALIVE!" ... but like chewing on dead meat after a crash .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Spot-on, Kelvin, although I'm happy to continue using FSX and developing for it, for as long as I can. Once I have a working set of aircraft I'll probably fly a lot more with P3D, but all my development tools are set up for FSX, so I may as well keep that as it is.

Moving from FS2004 to FSX was a much easier choice for most (and remember all the kerfuffle over that?) as P3D has a tougher set of requirements, coupled with it being early days for addons, and a certain amount of, um, patching going on...

But people will always moan about everything, Microsoft didn't release enough patches fast enough, LM are releasing patches too quickly, we're all beta testers etc...

Up until about 3 years ago I still used my Commodore 64, and enjoyed it, but I was always aware that it was a dead platform. Some things just become retro platforms when they die, with luck they'll never truly fade away. Eventually my third C64 stopped working and couldn't be repaired, though.

LM have announced that there is a fix coming for messed-up gauges, some people might see this as yet another reason to keep away from it, but I'm still excited about the possibilities.

For a bit of entertainment, take a look back at some forums when FSX first appeared -- the darling we are all so keen to protect wasn't always so. However many new sims there have been since I got into it, that's how many times I've seen the very same posts on this and every other flightsim forum.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Ex ANZ Eng » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Having been a loyal Microsoft flight sim user for may years, I know that it is only a matter of time when LM will be the only way to go, the potential is huge.
Even I do not have it yet, I am slowly building a repository of duel installers for FSX and P3D.
So after a couple more fixes and more scenery/aircraft that are compatible, I too will make the change.

Cheers
Phil
Ex ANZ Eng
Forum Addict

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Biggest thing is Lockheed Martin is an aviation aircraft company so it dose make it one of the best choices, Microsoft walked away tho it still has life in it and it will until P3D really matures and if we studying not just scenery but aircraft addon's are giving the double offer for installs ...

"But people will always moan about everything" ... I only complain and moan when people steal my stuff and then put there names to it , reason I don't go payware but give my work freely - this is why everyone involved gets mentioned in authors.

Many still argue this best sim's, as I said there is nothing wrong with the earlier generation FS9, many should possibly look at it rather trying to chase other with equipment that cannot handle the latest releases ... One thing I'd be interested to see is a Multiplay in P3D, I have not brought it yet so again keep promising myself getting it installed to check it out.
Last edited by Ian Warren on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

PreviousNext

Return to All Flight Simulators