creating an AI models folder in FSX

A forum specifically to discuss the latest and greatest of all flight simulators

Postby Adrian Brausch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Im probably the last to discover this but thought i'd share anyway,..I recently discovered that you can create a new folder to put AI models in under the SimObjects folder in FSX by adding a new command to your FSX.cfg (after making sure you back it up first !!!!),..like this pic below...

I got sick of the AI stuff cluttering up my Airplanes folder so decided to give it a try...and it works so now I have all my AI in their own folder ...YUSSS !!. open your FSX.cfg (after you backed it up ha) and cycle down to the "Main" heading and add a new line,..I called mine "AIModels", and make a corresponding folder under the "SimObjects" folder named the same...then chuck your AI stuff in it...you could use this to make a folder for anything really..spaceships etc...whatever tickles ye toes biggrin.gif

If its useful maybe we could sticky it ? blink.gif
Last edited by Adrian Brausch on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Brausch

Topic author

Postby dbcunnz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 am

Adrian Brausch wrote:
QUOTE (Adrian Brausch @ Feb 28 2012,12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im probably the last to discover this but thought i'd share anyway,..I recently discovered that you can create a new folder to put AI models in under the SimObjects folder in FSX by adding a new command to your FSX.cfg (after making sure you back it up first !!!!),..like this pic below...
I got sick of the AI stuff cluttering up my Airplanes folder so decided to give it a try...and it works so now I have all my AI in their own folder ...YUSSS !!. open your FSX.cfg (after you backed it up ha) and cycle down to the "Main" heading and add a new line,..I called mine "AIModels", and make a corresponding folder under the "SimObjects" folder named the same...then chuck your AI stuff in it...you could use this to make a folder for anything really..spaceships etc...whatever tickles ye toes biggrin.gif[color="#FF0000"][/color]

I place all my AI aircraft into the SimObjects misc folder and it works fine keeps all the clutter out of the aircraft folder
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 am

Cheers Matey that can be very helpful , especially when you are playing around with so many AIs but the primary is an independent file that can be placed/replaced anytime . smile.gif
Last edited by Ian Warren on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Timmo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 am

Having them in a separate folder should also speed up choosing a new aircraft if you have a lot of AI smile.gif
Timmo
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:01 am

BUT unsure.gif what if you already have to many paywares .... yeah yeah .. i'm a spoiled BARSTARD laugh.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Kahu » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:01 am

I also divide it up further and have a separate folder for WOAI, FTXAI, and some other payware AI I have, then put the Traffic files in a scenery folder I put in the addon scenery folder and activate this in FSX. This makes it easy to re-install FSX and also backup files.
Kahu
Sim-holic

Postby AdrianPetford » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:26 am

I've also done this for a while and it's a very useful tip. I wanted to avoid the jumbled nightmare which is my Aircraft folder in FS9, so tried to separate FSX objects out from the outset. Mine are in an extra folder "CustomAIObjects". The only issue I've had is having to move batches of them back into Airplanes temporarily for maintenance and patches e.g. a new version of FTXAI which installs to Airplanes by default. Then it's simply a case of moving the updated AI back down into the CustomAIObjects folder.

Ade
Last edited by AdrianPetford on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Petford
West Midlands, UK

I spend eleven months of the year in the UK and one in NZ. I'm hoping to improve that... ;-)
AdrianPetford
Sim-holic

Postby scaber » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

I've been experimenting with AddIt! Pro which allows you to add and remove aircraft on the fly. It greatly reduces load time for selecting aircraft by allowing most to be hidden for most of the time. Seems to work well and also allows the same sort of thing for scenery files. The only thing that I'm not sure of is what happens if someone flying in multiplay is flying one of the aircraft that I've 'hidden'.

Worth a serious look in my opinion, you get a month to trial it before purchase.

www.byteforge.com
|---------- Virtual Tour and Panoramic Photography ---------|
|-------------------- greg mckenzie, Christchurch -------------------|
scaber

Return to All Flight Simulators