SimAddicts Anonymous

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Postby ardypilot » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 am

We have quite a few members joined up now, so I think it is the right time to open an “Introduce yourself” thread. What you need to do is post a reply, telling everyone a little bit about yourself else, your simming history and preferences, etc.

I’ll get the ball rolling then:

My name's Andrew and I grew up in England, moving here to Auckland in 2003. Thanks to the good exchange rate from pounds to dollars, I managed to pick myself up a fairly nifty computer that could run games my old PC couldn’t handle- and that’s how I discovered flightsim! (I didn’t actually pay for my first copy, but in fact traded it for a “Grand Theft Auto” game with a mate. Since then I have got a new copy and modded my computer a bit to run it smoothly.)

Originally I went straight for the heavy-metal and flew for KLM Virtual around Europe, but soon tired from the same old take-off’s and landings, seeing no scenery but clouds on my journeys and packed my virtual career in, turning to the lighter side of things. This was about 1 year and ½ ago, and ever since then I have been flying GA light aircraft, exploring scenic areas in my own time- and more recently downloading historical warbird planes and practise airshow manoeuvres and routines. I’ve spent a bomb on payware addons (Mostly photoreal scenery) but recently discovered the amazing freeware VOZ (Vista Austrails) and joined the BETA testing team. I've also completed many long distance sim tours (see the Flights sub forum), and had reviews published in various aviation/simulation magazines and websites.

I've recently stepped into real world aviation, having taken the controls of quite a few small propeller planes- which put a whole new perspective on simulation for me- there's nothing like soaring above the busy world below, compleatly in control of an aircraft! This has lead to me starting my PPL training and given me ambition to become a pilot for a career.

Yep, so that’s my story- lets hear yours now!
Last edited by ardypilot on Fri May 02, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby markadeane » Wed May 03, 2006 10:42 am

Is everyone else shy or something?

Name's Mark. Live, work and play in Wellington. I'm in the public sector in an IT shop, and also work as a 737 sim instructor with flight experience wellington. Possibly a dream job for a lot of us! (sure is for me!)

I mostly use FS to practice IFR flight in the advanced Boeing add-ons out there, though have just picked up the Flight1 Super 80 and am currently wading through the complexities of that wee beast, very challenging!

Nice to see a new NZ FS community spring up, all the best!

Mark
markadeane

Postby Pieman » Thu May 04, 2006 11:04 am

What can I say :P

Born in Melbourne spent 3 years in London then settled down to a career in New Zealand and married my wife B) Little one on the way I love flight simming (obvious) Kyaking and general a good time. Father was a pilot with Ansett retired a year before they went bust and enjoy flying in my own backyard :P

Howzat
Pieman

Postby NZ1 » Fri May 05, 2006 6:50 pm

As some of you may already know, I'm Jarred and live in Hamilton. On FS I generally fly a mix of GA to medium sized commercial craft. My day to day job involves being a 5th former at Hamilton Boys High, and working part time in the produce department at a local New World supermarket.

Mark, are you qualified as a real life pilot? I've been thinking about having a go at the nearest simulator, which will be Tauranga for me.
NZ1

Postby Jimmy » Tue May 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi my names James im 12 and live in christchurch.
I became adicted to flight simulator just over a year ago, useing fs9 on my parants 600mhz computer!.I got fs98 so i could fly with some better frame rates. By last last december i had saved up 400 buks from my paper round and brought my on 1ghz pc and am now running 2004 alright. I enjoy flying ifr flights in fs best, with instrument aproches, usualy in medium jets. I hope to be a real pilot one day!. :D
Last edited by Jimmy on Tue May 09, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

Postby Ark » Thu May 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Hi, I am Heath from Christchurch...

Been a flight sim addict since the days of 8 bit computing in the mid 1980's right to this day...

I've worked on / put out a few of my own scenery projects to date but am not currently working on anything much...

Regards,

Heath
Ark

Postby ardypilot » Mon May 15, 2006 7:43 pm

Welcome everyone!

Thanks for opening up!
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby markadeane » Tue May 16, 2006 3:14 pm

NZ1 wrote: Mark, are you qualified as a real life pilot? I've been thinking about having a go at the nearest simulator, which will be Tauranga for me.

Yep I am indeed. :)

If you're having a go at the flight experience simulator, make sure you do a bit of homework first to enhance the experience. www.b737.org.uk is an excellent resource on the 737 and with a bit of reading and note taking you'll be ready to go on the big day. Note that flight experience uses the older style checklists available at this site,

Good luck!
markadeane

Postby FlyingKiwi » Mon May 29, 2006 4:26 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Leo, and I'm a year 13 highschool student in Auckland. I've been interested in aviation pretty much my whole life (I've travelled a lot, I think that's what got me into it), but I only really got into flightsimming about 5 years ago, with FS2002. I'm intending to pursue a career in aviation. (hopefully as a pilot!)

I'm an active member in the forums on Flightsim.com (about 8,500 posts or some sad sad number :P ) , particularly the screenshot forum, and I'm also a regular member of Kiwisim, and a few other assorted aviation sites.

My other related interest is photography, and specifically aviation photography. I have about 300 photos on Jetphotos.net, and about 50 or so on Airliners.net. (and both those figures are steadily growing)

With regard to flightsim, I mainly fly either commercial passenger aircraft, or GA aircraft. I don't really fly military aircraft in Flightsim, although I do play IL-2 and it's various upgrades as well as, occasionally, LOMAC. As with, I'm sure, all of you here, I'm also very much interested in the New Zealand aviation scene, both through simming and my photography.

That's it from me, good to meet you all. ;)
FlyingKiwi

Postby ardypilot » Mon May 29, 2006 5:03 pm

Welcome Leo!

Seems like you and me have a lot in commen, I like flying GA, aviation photography and fs2004 screenshots too!

It's nice to have you onboard!
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby bigdogshark62 » Mon May 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Ah, heck. I guess I may as well join in. What is it? "In for a penny?"

My name is Rob, and some of you may know me from my scenery designs for the state of Florida (and now Hamilton and Taupo in NZ). Although I am an American (looks around and prepares to duck), I lived in Auckland for 2 years and am really a Kiwi at heart (as Blackmagic can attest). I try to return at least once a year. It is my hope and desire to return to NZ on a more permanent basis within the next few to several years.

Going back to NZ this August for a self-guided Tri-Nations and NPC rugby tour. Cities include Auckland (for the ABs v Oz match), Christchurch, Invercargill, Wellington, and Whangarei. Quite a haul, going from Southland on Friday night, through Welly on Saturday, and finally Whangarei on Sunday.

Aside from FS, I am Commissioner of a gridiron league here in Florida, and work for a real estate training organization.

(Just noticed: I am Member # 39 on this board, and that was my gridiron number when I was a wee lad.) :D
Last edited by bigdogshark62 on Mon May 29, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigdogshark62

Postby SUBS17 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:27 am

Hi Guys I'm Subs, I'm mainly into Jet Combat sims such as Falcon 4 Allied Forces, Lockon Flaming Cliffs. I also have Pacific Fighters and plan on getting FSX for movie making later on. BTW this is a cool site.
cheers
Subs
SUBS17

Postby Zöltuger » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:03 pm

hi ya, i'm Zöltuger. my first flight sim was FS5 back on my 486, but i lost interest after flight sim 98. i was also a fan of x-plane, but the scenery and such is a bit limited.
now i'm back and wanting to get my sticky hands on FSX as soon its out. online sounds like a lot of fun, and the graphics look top notch as always.
Zöltuger

Postby mailman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:37 am

Use to fly out of NZPP when living in NZ but now live in England. Too expensive to fly here BUT on the otherhand airshows are just about every other weekend :)

Quite like the look of these boards so you will be seeing me around more.

Regards

Mailman
mailman

Postby ardypilot » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:14 am

Welcome Zöltuger and mailman!

Thanks for signing up :D
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Muppet » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:16 am

Been flying FS since version 5.1 Flying IRL out of NZNV, hope to complete CPL and MEIR in a few months :)
Muppet

Postby creator2003 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:35 pm

B) Well where to start .. mike is the name also know as natas2003 from hamilton flight simming for ages into helicopters scenery design fs repaints and movies promoting helos and New Zealand payware freeware whatever is out there this is a full time thing for me as not at real work as such so are surfing sites info and making scenerys yet to be put out there 24/7
im from auckland and now live in hamilton like i said before with 2 boys that also you guess it fly aswell not bad for a 8 -5 year olds this is the first time ive seen this forum
whoo!!! cool there is someone out there hope to catch up with all of you most flying at home and not online because mostly testing scenery but are willing to try the online stuff again now i see more of you out there welll anyways see you in the forums and i hope to contribute as much as i can to yous some of my videos are at hovercontrol.com

hovercontrol

check them out you mite like??? :P
creator2003

Postby HeyChief » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:58 am

Hi , Names Bob ... The men call me Bobalou ... I live in the Florida Panhandle USA. Found out about this place from VOZ.

Retired from the Navy, spent time on 4 different Carriers. Hence my preference for Naval aircraft. Never been to New Zealand. However, sailed between the two islands in '64 on the Enterprise.

Hope to learn something about your country while frequenting this forum.

Glad to be here. :)

HC

PS . been flight simming since before FS 98, can't remember which one I started with, just that it had more angles in the scenery than curves.
Last edited by HeyChief on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeyChief

Postby ardypilot » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:07 pm

Welcome Bob!

bigdogshark62 also resides in Florida, so you are not alone ;)
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi Bob

USS Enterprise (CVAN-65)

Just for the Kiwi's with interest in these Amazing Ships

your era .. 1961 Shakedown Cruise- Atlantic -Norfolk
1962 January I arrived !
1962 June East Coast , Mediterranean
1962 October Blockade of Cuba .... the world's scariest momment
1963 Med :from there Task force 1 with Long Beach(CGN-9) and
Bainbridge , round the WORLD TOUR criuse ' Operation Sea Orbit ' covering 30,500 miles .

1964 October First refuelling
1965-1978 Pacific .. and so on
1986 Movie - TOP GUN all Kiwi plane nutters no that Movie

I do no that in 1966 CVA-66 ( USS AMERICA ) did enter Wellington Harbour dredge in front with only 4 feet to spare from keel to bottom at 1 stage . lost the amazing aerial shot, if any one can shed some light be interested , u may have extra info pictures from period .

Cheers Ian
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Next

Return to General