Arado Ar 234B-2 "Blitz"

Post and comment on screen captures from the beautiful game here. Home of the monthly screenshot competition

Arado Ar 234B-2 "Blitz"

Postby hasegawa » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:24 am

Apart from the Messerschmitt Me 262, this machine has been one of the most successful German jet aircraft. Originally thought of as a reconnaissance aircraft, it became the world's first jet bomber and as such was the "progenitor" of such machines as the Douglas B-66 "Destroyer", the English Electric Canberra and the Ilyushin Il 28. They are all based on the technique and the deployment tactics of the few Arado 232s that were only used. After the end of the war, they were among the most sought-after war-prizes aircraft in the German Air Force. This machine has an under body conversion kit consisting of 2 MG 151 20-mm guns. There were a few machines of this type that flew as night fighters and that was the usual armament. I would like to try whether you could also fly ground attacks and hit something with it. The fact is, with this and with bombs on external mounts, the speed advantage over piston engine fighters is lost and the fuel consumption is astronomical. So in reality, it probably didn't make much sense.

hasegawa

Topic author

Re: Arado Ar 234B-2 "Blitz"

Postby Splitpin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:29 am

Great shots ...I had a quick fly in that the other day. The developers have been busy.
How do you rate it ?
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Re: Arado Ar 234B-2 "Blitz"

Postby hasegawa » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:38 am

It's made of "Operation Bodenplatte" There aren't many left who can tell us anything about the original. My reference is Eric "Winkle" Brown who wrote a book "The Famous Aircraft of the German Luftwaffe, he flew all of these machines himself and was an experienced pilot who was in Germany before WW2. udging from what he wrote, it's fair to say that the replica is good. The engine start-up ceremony is simpler than in the Me 2626. The machine is a bit under powered, especially with a full bomb load or with conversion kits and a dive to the target is not recommended. The landing is likely to be ugly in cross winds and the wheelbase is low. The undercarriage brakes are not exactly gripping but sufficient. The view from the cockpit takes some getting used to. As a pedestrian I think the replica of the A 234B is not bad. By the way, she packs quite a punch. I think there was a little cheating here. Jumo 004 engines were known not to withstand much. In particular, they didn't like it when the throttles quickly went from almost idle to full throttle
hasegawa

Topic author

Return to Screenshots