The competition is now open!
NOTE: We have TWO CATEGORIES/VOTES:
1) Visual Appeal: the winner gets their image displayed as a banner for the following month.
2) Relevance to the Theme: the winner gets the sponsored prize and sets the theme for the next screencomp.
The two votes can go to the same entry or to different ones.
The January theme is: "STOL" ... chosen by Adamski, winner of the November (theme) competition. If you have any theme-related queries, send him a PM!
Here's the Wikipedia entry "A short takeoff and landing (STOL) aircraft is an aircraft with short runway requirements for takeoff and landing. Many STOL-designed aircraft also feature various arrangements for use on runways with harsh conditions (such as high altitude or ice). STOL aircraft, including those used in scheduled passenger airline operations, have also been operated from STOLport airfields which feature short runways."
NOTE: STOL is different to VSTOL - which would include aircraft capable of vertical takeoffs ... so no choppers, please!
Note also that the location can be anywhere in the world.
This month's competition is kindly sponsored by Carenado. The winner will receive a download of their choice from the excellent Carenado Product Range.
I've been helping Doug out administering the comp since March 2017 (almost a year) so I'd like to try an experiment with the voting procedures. If successful, it would save a lot of work at poll time.
- Two-part competition ("Visuals" and "Relevance" - as now).
- Voting is OPEN - and placed by posts in a new (voting) topic. This does away with the need to set up two polls.
- Votes would simply be along the lines of Relevance vote to XXXX and Visuals vote to YYYY. Voters may add why they voted the way they did if they wish.
- Five days and the voting topic is closed (as now).
Images can be submitted (or edited) up until midnight Wednesday 31st January.
Voting runs from Thursday 1st February up until midnight Monday 5th February.
Please read the rules below: if you have any queries, please PM Comp Admin for clarification **before posting your entry**.
- Entry (and voting) for the competition is open to all registered NZFF members.
- The screenshot image must consist of a screen captured from a flight simulator program (FS2004, FSX, P3D, X-plane, DCS/IL-2 or War Thunder).
- Some editing is allowed: additional images can be added (either real or other screenshots), but the main component of the image should always be from a flight sim.
- The images can be jpg or png and must be EXACTLY 1280px wide (any depth).
- Though "visual appeal" is all about the complete screenshot image, bear in mind that (if it wins that poll), the final banner crops to around 1200px * 380px (max) - which is quite a narrow letter-box shape - so try to compose your shot so as not to lose areas of high interest.
- No frames or text on the image.
- Keep the original uncropped/uncompressed/high resolution version (BMP or TIFF) saved on your PC - admin may request it from you at the end of the month to convert into a site banner!
- DCS users may want to look at these tips.
SUBMITTING AN ENTRY
- Please post all screenshot/entries here - in this topic.
- Only one entry/single image per member is allowed.
- Images can changed any time up until closing time (midnight, last day of the month): use the "edit" button at the top of the original post, delete the old image link and replace it with the new one.
- If possible, please add details of the aircraft depicted and general scenery/location information.
- After the competition entry deadline, all registered NZFF members may cast TWO votes: one for visual appeal and one for relevance to the theme.
The two votes can both go to the same entry or to different ones - but please vote in BOTH categories.
- Voting is OPEN - and placed by posts in a new (voting) topic - along the lines of Relevance vote to XXXX and Visuals vote to YYYY. Voters may add why they voted the way they did if they wish.
- Entrants may not vote on their own screenshots (!).
- Voting runs for five days after the entry deadline.
- The winner in the "relevance" poll receives the prize from the designated sponsor and gets to suggest a theme for the next screencomp.
- The winner in the "visual appeal" poll will have a cropped version of their image posted as the NZFF banner for the following month.
Note: It's customary for the theme winner to post some screenshots of their prize!
Full results here.