Voting For the Screenshot Competition Poll

Post and comment on screen captures from the beautiful game here. Home of the monthly screenshot competition

Postby dbcunnz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Adrian Brausch wrote:
QUOTE (Adrian Brausch @ Sep 6 2013,4:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why does a screenshot entry have to have anything beside it at all whether its a number or name,..why not just the pic and the voting thingemywhatsit,...surely the number or name is only usful to Doug ?. People voting for their own pics...its very very annoying,..I have completely by chance been browsing the screenshot voting page over my time at NZFF and have seen whos also reading at the same time (yes I do actually look at that often..dont know why but I do lol),..and low and behold another vote popped up on the members entry who was reading at the same time as me,....I won't name anyone...you know who your are pirate.gif . It has to be said that they didnt actually win the prize at the time...but still not acceptable....cheats (not good ones thankfully).

I have done the same and when I have seen a member vote for their own entry I have deleted that vote and sent them PM to let them know I have also warned them that if they are caught a second time their entry will be disqualified and removed from the the voting page.

If any member sees someone voting on their own entry I would appreciate it if they would PM me with the details once one or two of them are caught and have their votes removed the message might get through that you can not vote for your own image and get away with it

PS it is going to make it a lot harder to identify those voting on their own entry if their are no numbers or names to the entries.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby sjimc2000 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:55 pm

At the risk of getting clopped off at the neck again ,,, whats wrong with voting for your own picture.??
They might concider it's the best of all the one's presented.

I really think this "can't vote for your own" is just making work for everyone as at the end of the day ,, they can still only vote once.

I can't image John Keys voting for anyone else other than himself at the next elections. smile.gif smile.gif

I'm just trying to help here ,, it's a rule that defies logic.
Just curious. ??

Very nervously, I duck my head down again ,,, Jim
sjimc2000

Postby Charl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:18 pm

I feel spare about the workload Doug has to carry in all this...

So bounce this idea:
The Forum Admin picks the 3 finalists, and puts just those pictures up for a vote.
You get 2 votes, if it's your picture you can even vote once for it... so effectively it reduces the finalists' vote to 1!
Winner take all (and Admin get to communicate with each other once a month).
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Charl wrote:
QUOTE (Charl @ Sep 6 2013,6:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel spare about the workload Doug has to carry in all this...

So bounce this idea:
The Forum Admin picks the 3 finalists, and puts just those pictures up for a vote.
You get 2 votes, if it's your picture you can even vote once for it... so effectively it reduces the finalists' vote to 1!
Winner take all (and Admin get to communicate with each other once a month).

What a brilliant idea Charl the forum admin picks the worst 3 or four entries and places them up for voting
No I don't think it would work if you were only going to put 3 or 4 up for voting I think it would turn members off from entering.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby blackout » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow, all 21 votes say this
"I would like to just see a number to vote for"... That just says something, doesn't it?
Last edited by blackout on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS GT630 2GB, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 1.78 GHz Core 2 Duo, with Vista SP2... 30+ FPS with Autogen
blackout

Postby Charl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm

dbcunnz wrote:
QUOTE (dbcunnz @ Sep 6 2013,6:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a brilliant idea Charl the forum admin picks the worst 3 or four entries and places them up for voting
No I don't think it would work if you were only going to put 3 or 4 up for voting I think it would turn members off from entering.

Erm, Doug, I said "bounce" not "squelch!" laugh.gif
You weren't listening: this is exactly what happens in the SS comps anyway.
(You certainly have a lot of confidence in your Admin, huh)

Actually, most SS comps are not vote-based, for the very reasons bandied about above.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Charl wrote:
QUOTE (Charl @ Sep 6 2013,8:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erm, Doug, I said "bounce" not "squelch!" laugh.gif
You weren't listening: this is exactly what happens in the SS comps anyway.
(You certainly have a lot of confidence in your Admin, huh)

Actually, most SS comps are not vote-based, for the very reasons bandied about above.

What I was meaning when I said pick out the 3 or 4 worst entries was to give the inexperienced members a chance to win one laugh.gif
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Hmmm maybe we should have a .. the worst ever screen ... nah .. that's no good , least a prize for the goodies proves people are trying ... just need more to get in there and do it .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Sonnyj » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Very interesting,If one puts in a screenshot for a competition, how do you upload it anonymously in the first place?? Otherwise we can find out who the shot belongs to before voting takes place, Or am I missing something here??
Cheers
Sonnyj
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Sonnyj wrote:
QUOTE (Sonnyj @ Sep 6 2013,10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting,If one puts in a screenshot for a competition, how do you upload it anonymously in the first place??

biggrin.gif YEAH .. strange that ... tongue.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Sonnyj wrote:
QUOTE (Sonnyj @ Sep 6 2013,9:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting,If one puts in a screenshot for a competition, how do you upload it anonymously in the first place?? Otherwise we can find out who the shot belongs to before voting takes place, Or am I missing something here??
Cheers

No you are not missing a thing the way I see it is if you want the screenshot competition to be completely anonymous you would all have to email me your image link and I would have to post them all anonymously.
It would create a bit of extra work for me also there would be now comments on the entries as they are posted so it would be just screenshot image posts only.
The reason for not having any comments is that if comments where allowed it wouldn't take long to fathom out whose image it was so it would probably turn out as a very dull competition.
The big but is that if there are enough members wanted to try a comp like that I am willing to set up a trial one to see how it goes.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Well, for what it's worth:
No names - Let the screenshot speak for itself. To really let that work, the standard post "Entries for [month] has now closed" would need to be moved to an area where only Admins could read it. When the numbers first appeared, I had a peek there, and it was very easy to see who posted which. ( BTW, this also covers Ian's point, above)

Voting restrictions - I think the current rule is enough; there will always be someone 'trying it on' but that is and has been easily detected. 'Open to all' could very easily produce a 40-way tie, with forty entries. "Competitors cannot vote" could lead to one entry with two or three votes, and all the rest with one or none. Neither result is much use to Doug, or the entrants.

As everyone knows, what we really need is a huge increase in active support of the competition, both in voting and entering. I have been trying to think of an affordable way to encourage more interest, but for the moment I can't see one. Any ideas?

EDIT: corrected silly mistake, about voting being closed when I meant entries closed, voting has opened.
Last edited by emfrat on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:46 pm

dbcunnz wrote:
QUOTE (dbcunnz @ Sep 6 2013,11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason for not having any comments is that if comments where allowed it wouldn't take long to fathom out whose image it was so it would probably turn out as a very dull competition.
The big but is that if there are enough members wanted to try a comp like that I am willing to set up a trial one to see how it goes.

Makes this unique ... The best thing with this forum screens is the jaunt , jive and jokes and general WOW for the efforts .... least peoples are looking ! smile.gif
Last edited by Ian Warren on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Mynameisnemo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm going to throw a proverbial spanner into the works here...

This may seem like a very daft idea but if you look at the entries all you would really have to do is look at the entry thread to see who posted it.

How about hiding the thread at the start of the voting so that the users have to vote on what they see in the poll and are then unable to see which user it is by viewing the original thread?

I've voted for the option though "I would like to just see a number to vote for"
PC Spec's: Deep Cool Tesseract case, Asrock B450-pro4 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, 32GB DDR4 3000mhz, Gigabyte RTX 2060 v2 OC 6GB, 2x2TB Seagate, 1x 3TB Seagate drives
Mynameisnemo
Forum Addict

Postby emfrat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Please note my edit to my earlier post, above wub.gif
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Mynameisnemo wrote:
QUOTE (Mynameisnemo @ Sep 6 2013,8:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to throw a proverbial spanner into the works here...

This may seem like a very daft idea but if you look at the entries all you would really have to do is look at the entry thread to see who posted it.

How about hiding the thread at the start of the voting so that the users have to vote on what they see in the poll and are then unable to see which user it is by viewing the original thread?

I've voted for the option though "I would like to just see a number to vote for"

Near-simultaneous posting, I think.
I would point out that right-clicking any image from me only shows that it came from PostImage...the Bucket, Flickr and so on do show whose account it is in, AFAIK.
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 pm

You no .... 27 , I would really like to no that number 1 .. time to get the GCSB out again .. there is a threat here ninja.gif ...... tongue.gif
Last edited by Ian Warren on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby dbcunnz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:14 pm

emfrat wrote:
QUOTE (emfrat @ Sep 6 2013,10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please note my edit to my earlier post, above wub.gif

I did think of placing the screenshot comp page as invisible when it is closed until voting has finished and the link to the original image could be taken out but then you will only have the 600Px wide image to vote on I have already increased the thumbnails from 200px wide for the last few voting posts I could increase the vote image up to 800Px wide but if might cause the images to flow through to two pages instead of having them all on one page
If members don't mind voting on just the voting page image without the link to the original I could fix that very easily and it would be a little less work for me to do
So the question is are the 600pxwide images big enough to vote on if you don't have a link to the bigger originals or would you like me to extend them out another 100 or 200px wider as the closed comp page would become invisible and links would no longer be available to check on whose image is whose until after the voting had closed.
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 pm

dbcunnz wrote:
QUOTE (dbcunnz @ Sep 6 2013,9:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the question is are the 600pxwide images big enough to vote on if you don't have a link to the bigger originals or would you like me to extend them out another 100 or 200px wider as the closed comp page would become invisible and links would no longer be available to check on whose image is whose until after the voting had closed.

Cheers Doug -
I wasn't aware of the forum tech limitations. As you say, linking to the 1280 wide originals could still identify some entrants. On the other hand, in the poll, only one person so far has said he/she wanted to know the name of the entrant before voting. so it is probably not an issue. I hope no-one is voting for personalities - as I say, the screenie should speak for itself.
ATB
MikeW

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby Adrian Brausch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:37 am

no one should be checking back witht he SS main thread to see who entered what,..and its likely that next to no one is doing that,..the SS Comp as it is now is absolutely fine,..leave it as it is now with just the number beside each image and leave it the hell alone I say,...since when did this goddamn monthly SS comp get so f?? Bloody complicated !!
Last edited by Adrian Brausch on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Brausch

PreviousNext

Return to Screenshots