Uploading Images Guide

Post and comment on screen captures from the beautiful game here. Home of the monthly screenshot competition

Postby ardypilot » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:33 pm

Here is a quick guide for members who want to know how to add images into their posts and signatures.

*** First and fore mostly, please remember to keep your shots based on NZ! *** If you want to post a screenshot topic about another country, please write "Non NZ" in the 'Topic Description' box when uploading it.

1) You need to download a free screen capture program. I recommend the free version of "Screen Hunter" found here:

2) Download and install the program. You can set up what directory to save screen captures to, and what button you want to do the job, as well as what format it saves in.

3) Run the program via the icon when you play flightsim, and take a few screenshots to share.

4) Make sure your image is a .JPEG or .JPG. If "Screen Hunter" saved your image as a .BMP, right click on the selected image thumbnail, and click edit. This will open "MS PAINT". Now open the File menu, and click save as, changing the extension to JPEG.

5) The images must be .jpg and size must be no wider than 1280 pixels -- A good free resizing program can be found Here, so you need to resize images before you upload it and post on the forums.

6) You can also choose to resize your image when uploading it to PhotoBucket When you get to the Select Photos and Videos you will see a small notice below
Customize your upload options
Click on it to chooze image size, the recomended size 1024x768 is the best size to use for posting images on the forum.

Resize my photos to this size:
160x120
320x240
640x480
800x600
1024x768 (recommended) Why?
1280x960
1600x1200
2048x1536
2592x1944 (Pro only)
3648x2736 (Pro only)
4000x3000 (Pro only)
Best possible quality (while staying 1mb or less)
Best possible quality (while staying 2mb or less) (Pro onl

7) Now you need to get the image from your computer onto the internet. Go to www.photobucket.com and create a free account. This website is excellent with 1GB of free storage and no banners or watermarks added to your images.

8) Follow the easy steps on the website to upload your picture, and then once it has uploaded, you will see a thumbnail of your image in your gallery:

9)By clicking on the thumbnail will bring up a larger image see below then Click left mouse button on the bottom right code beginning with [IMG] and it will copy it then open the forum page you want to post the image in and paste the [IMG] file.

(Note: Images larger than 1 MB are automatically resized)

I hope this helps,
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by ardypilot on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5-2400|8GB RAM|ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)|1TB Seagate Barracuda|Windows 7 64 Bit|FSX Gold Edition|24" AOC Widescreen
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby dbcunnz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:25 pm

This post Uploading Images Guide Posted Apr 27 2006 has been updated to meet 2011 standards
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Five Years have taken its toll .. , Looks Great and makes everything very simple , Thanks Doug cool.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby wairoaboy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Jan 4 2011,6:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Five Years have taken its toll .. , Looks Great and makes everything very simple , Thanks Doug cool.gif

Oh boy! What a mission....can anyone give advice how to upload screenshot for competion? ive got as far as photobucket and cant seem to work out the whole web/IMG link part
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Fullsize Tower
x3 27 inch Surround Asus ROG G-Sync Monitor
ASUS Extreme iv ROG
Intel i7 2600K 4.6ghz
EVGA GTX780ti Classified
EVGA 1600watt Supernova PSU
Corsair H100i Cooling
32gb Ripsaw RAM 2133
Logitech G940 Joystick Throttles Rudder
Logitech Z623 IHX Speakers
wairoaboy

Postby dbcunnz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:23 am

wairoaboy wrote:
QUOTE (wairoaboy @ Mar 24 2011,1:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh boy! What a mission....can anyone give advice how to upload screenshot for competion? ive got as far as photobucket and cant seem to work out the whole web/IMG link part

Hi if you have uploaded your image to photobucket all you need to do now is to copy the image code which should look like this
[img]http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/dbcunnz/Photobucket-1.jpg[/img ]
this last bracket shouldnt have a space in it though I have put the space in there so it will show the code but wont show the image
Here is the code again with out the space at the end showing as 1.jpg[/img]

So just copy from photobucket and past it in your screenshot page and your image should come up like the one on here
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby mfraser » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:30 am

Is there any ability to add the BB code to enable image resizing to the forum?? That way if you're linking to a large image hosted on another site you can reduce it to an acceptable size for our fourm.

An example of this is:
[IMG=100x100]http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/5061/rodimusprime02sh6.jpg[/IMG]

Just a thought.
Regards,
Mat
Last edited by mfraser on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mfraser
Sim-holic

Postby DocScott » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Guys!

Is there a special reason,why we have to mutilate ( resize) the screenshots?

I can't beleave it is the space,or?No offence!!

Regards,

Scott
Just be friends!
DocScott
Forum Addict

Postby toprob » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:02 pm

DocScott wrote:
QUOTE (DocScott @ Oct 12 2014,9:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Guys!

I can't beleave it is the space,or?No offence!!

Regards,

Scott

It isn't space, it's the fact that on most systems too wide will distort the layout of the forum.
If I need larger than 1280, I normally use a thumbnail linking to an external image.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:28 pm

DocScott wrote:
QUOTE (DocScott @ Oct 12 2014,9:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Scott , as with change, originally it was 800X600 - then as systems and screens grew - it went to 1024 and to the average and most people run with a wide screen at the 1280 width , this was dictated I guess in the next few years it will be a next level .. a wrap around screen .. now that is going to something to look forward to !
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:41 am

The site I perfer to use and tutorial below to help putting your screens onto NZFF http://www.fsfiles.org

Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby ASHLEE » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Ian, just following your tutorial on using the OZx image hosting and have I missed something?
I logged in with the normal procedure and received an email from the host as acknowledgement and after logging in moved to the page that comes up with 'Browse for images you would like to upload from your computor'
but alas their is no icon displayed called "select files". Have I lost the plot???? or need to remove my blinkers.
Have you any nice thoughts for me to help me on this new excursion.
regards
ASHLEE

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 am

ASHLEE wrote:
QUOTE (ASHLEE @ Jan 2 2015,9:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but alas their is no icon displayed called "select files". Have I lost the plot???? or need to remove my blinkers.

Don't think you have lost the plot , See the two switch's just below the menu bar Local and Remote , press the Local switch
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby ASHLEE » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Ian Still not able to activate my screen shots using OZx image hosting. The local button gives no response for me or any direction to select my local computer screen shots. I can access the hosts screen shots for loading but it appears to me that the Host has
removed the facility down loading any computer screen shots for transmitting to our NZFF web site. I do notice some funding issues for the host but registrations are still being taken and acknowledged
Have you got any other thoughts that might resolve this?
Thanks
ASHLEE

Postby toprob » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:53 pm

ASHLEE wrote:
QUOTE (ASHLEE @ Jan 5 2015,4:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ian Still not able to activate my screen shots using OZx image hosting. The local button gives no response for me or any direction to select my local computer screen shots. I can access the hosts screen shots for loading but it appears to me that the Host has
removed the facility down loading any computer screen shots for transmitting to our NZFF web site. I do notice some funding issues for the host but registrations are still being taken and acknowledged
Thanks

Specific FS-related hosting sites are kinda a cool idea, but really a 'proper' hosting site is going to be a better long-term solution. There are plenty about -- I use postimage.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:58 am

toprob wrote:
QUOTE (toprob @ Jan 5 2015,5:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Specific FS-related hosting sites are kinda a cool idea, but really a 'proper' hosting site is going to be a better long-term solution. There are plenty about -- I use postimage.

Photobucket was the choice , now PhotoMucket ... wonder how long it would take before postimage turns to the app screen reduction like PB
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:04 am

ASHLEE wrote:
QUOTE (ASHLEE @ Jan 5 2015,4:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ian Still not able to activate my screen shots using OZx image hosting.

Maybe a direct contact to the OZx forums would be the best answer, JayKee would get you up and running quick.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Re: Uploading Images Guide

Postby gojozoom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 am

And now we have Postimage installed too, this is how it works:

http://postimage.org/mod.php
gojozoom
Sim-holic

Postby toprob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:12 am

Very nice, thanks for that.
This mod displays thumbnails, whereas there is one which displays the full-sized image -- I know that forum members don't seem to like thumbnails much, so it might be worthwhile switching it, just a thought.

By the way, one of the main reasons I like Postimage is the desktop tool. So to post the image above, this is all it took:

Pressed 'printscn' on the Postimage webpage.
Drew a box around the bit I wanted;
Clicked on the 'edit' button, and drew the red rectangle;
Clicked on the 'upload' button;
copied the link into the post.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:32 am

toprob wrote:Very nice, thanks for that.
This mod displays thumbnails, whereas there is one which displays the full-sized image -- I know that forum members don't seem to like thumbnails much, so it might be worthwhile switching it, just a thought.

I really hate the thumbnail screen option , rather just clicking directly on the screen , done sorta thing ... were as posting the maximum allowed screen is a walk in the park .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby gojozoom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 pm

Changed to Hotlink as requested.
gojozoom
Sim-holic

Next

Return to Screenshots