Time for a new hobby...

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

Re: Time for a new hobby...

Postby toprob » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:12 pm

I've put this on hold this year to save for a trip to Brisbane -- I'm off with the family on Wednesday! When I get back, I'll know how much money I have left to spend on the layout, but I'm keen to get stuck back in. At the moment the main track at least runs to the station now, but some more track-laying to do -- I may pick up some bits and pieces in Brisbane, as they have a couple of model train stores, compared to Wellington's zero.
This turned out to be a learning experience, I've learnt that I probably need to redo the whole thing at some stage. Here's a quick video shot yesterday once I finally connected the main track. Terrible video, I know, I was in a hurry.
The two little overly-yellow sheds need to be reprinted, as the paintwork is horrible, and I've mentioned before that I'll reprint the ticket office with a smaller overhang so you can actually see what it is. The big shed is still just a placeholder until I find another way to build it. Power poles, signals etc are yet to come.
The wagons etc will eventually be weathered -- everything at the real museum is rusty as. I've been picking up the odd wagon on Trademe, I did say I was going to 3D-print everything, but they aren't really important. I will continue to work on the printed carriage models, although I'm happy with my first attempt there's a lot I can improve.
I really have to come to terms with what this layout is -- running a train from one end to the other is about 30 seconds of fun (double that for the return journey), so not much point to it, other than the experience, and as a static diorama.
The second video shows the loco running, yes, I did hit a tree with the camera. As the controller is at the far end, I can't easily use that and the camera at the same time. When I finish the whole thing, I'll get my son to make a proper video, he works at Weta Workshop doing that sort of thing anyway. As NZFF's video embeds don't go full screen, best viewed on Youtube.

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:42 pm

That's great work Rob. For such a localised model, your best bet is the so-called 'dumbell' layout, where the train disappears into a tunnel or under a bridge, and enters a concealed loop of sidings, so that a different one comes out. Easy to model in N gauge. Just put the loops 'downstairs' of the main board.
I live 90km inland from Brisbane, but I'd be happy to meet and buy you a beer, if that's allowed.
ATB
MikeW
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:28 am

Cheers, Mike, that's a good plan for my next layout, if/when I get around to it. At Silverstream, there is only a 1km stretch of track anyway, and I've modelled 400m of it, so the finished operation would be pretty much real life, except that there's a turnout at the far end to run the engine back to the rear of the train (facing backwards) for the return journey.

It could operate as a switching layout, as eventually there will be 5 tracks leading into the sheds, but in reality there's old rolling stock cluttering up a lot of the track.

In Brisbane I'll be visiting my son and his family (3 grandkids over there), and the family does have an itinerary worked out, so I may not have spare time as such. Except maybe to escape for a bit to a train store... I'm travelling with my other son, his wife and their 2.5 year-old who I normally take care of, so although most of the trip is paid for by them I will still be working taking care of the little one:)

Oh, and my ex-wife is coming too. The fun never ends...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:46 pm

I managed to see a couple of model train stores in Brisbane, although only one was a little bit interesting. I did manage to pick up a new airbrush, AU$200, which saved me at least $100 on NZ prices.

I am kind of back into the layout, last week I 'weathered' some of the wagons I had laying about. OK, I know they are mostly wooden, but I have rusted everything to match the old stock at the museum. I'm a great believer in doing things my way, rather than doing them right.... I bought the tank car in Brisbane, AU$20, and painted in black with rust to match the actual tanks at Silverstream.

As I had some money left when I came home I bought a new controller, a Hornby HM6000 which lets me control the loco using my phone, via Bluetooth. Also adds some loco sounds, from the phone, which is inordinately fun to play with!

Aus was great fun, we all stayed for a while on the Sunshine Coast, just up the road from the beach, including my son, daughter-in-law and their 3 kids. We did a rainforest walk, and when I got back to the car I walked into the trees to have a pee, when I turned around I felt something on my face, and flicked this thing off --

Apparently it couldn't kill me, but still freaked me out.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby emfrat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:38 am

Rob, that's an interesting creature...seems to be one of these, a long way from home:
https://www.jungledragon.com/image/3824 ... hoose.html
ATB
Mike
Last edited by emfrat on Wed May 01, 2024 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

OnlineUser avatar
emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:18 pm

toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:31 pm

sheesh that thing looks TERRIFYING !!!!

oh, and nice work on the weathering :clap:
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:39 pm

Rob....bloody hell, I would have been airborne if that thing had been on my face.
But I think you were lucky .....considering the part of your anatomy that was a potential target at the time :ph43r:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed May 01, 2024 8:02 am

Great work there Rob. A very time consuming hobby.
There is something very therapeutic about them.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm

Splitpin wrote: .....considering the part of your anatomy that was a potential target at the time :ph43r:

I hadn't even thought of that, definitely no more relieving myself outdoors.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Previous

Return to Off Topic