"did you try turning it off and on again?"

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

"did you try turning it off and on again?"

Postby toprob » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:15 am

A bad week technologically, running into 'out of memory' errors in older 32bit tools like GMAX -- which is the tool I use for 90% of scenery development. This is only a real problem with large airports -- like NZCH, dammit.

One small win with tech, though. I have a Windows tablet, which I used to use a lot, but a couple of years ago a Windows update murdered it. I looked into getting Windows reinstalled, and had it on my list for when I could afford it. In the meantime, the tablet has sat in a drawer. Anyway, last night I thought I'd better pop it on the charger to keep the battery alive. This morning it told me that the BIOS was damaged, which didn't surprise me since in had been inactive for so long. However it did seem happy to fix the BIOS itself, which took a few minutes.

Then, for the first time in two years, it actually booted up as it nothing had happened. I've forgotten how to use it, and what apps are on it. It is full Windows 10, but not grunty. I must admit I did think it would never work again! First thing I did was install Chrome so I could use it with the Chromecast... It would make a better 'remote' than having to walk to the PC just to play or pause Netflix etc.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: "did you try turning it off and on again?"

Postby cowpatz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:52 pm

I hear you!

We have just installed a home automation system. Just for the gates and alarm system at the moment and with no Amazon Echo or Nest or Google home integration (as I'm not sure I even want that.). The lights, entertainment and irrigation modules will come later. It is one of those devices that feeds on time and therefore money. It's like having another wife...troublesome and expensive. Interestingly the installer said that Google home and Amazon Echo listen in and send data all the time. He just happened to notice a lot of data streaming online even when no request was being made. He experimented by talking beside the units about holidays in Fiji and going to Victoria university etc. Shortly after he started getting emails and targeted ads for....you guessed it....Fijian holidays and info for Vic uni. Even Samsung (and probably others) that use voice and gesture control are collecting data. Voice capture is supposedly to improve voice recognition and the gestures are captured by a high res camera (also for improving the algorithm). A Japanese parliamentarian was allegedly caught having an affair by a Samsung TV.
Be warned.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Return to Off Topic