Waypoint names

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

Waypoint names

Postby Splitpin » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:25 pm

Way off a new year subject, but here it is.
One of my Nephews and I linked up live atc and flight radar this afternoon, for some reason we tuned into Sydney's approach.
After about 10 minutes we both checked with each other regarding what we had heard (or misheard). Aircraft were being directed to waypoint "Sausage" followed by the appropriate turns etc.
Turns out it was correct...and we listened to a few more Sausage directions.
Question is, who gets to name these things....I found "Prawn" and "Kevin" among others...but, Sausage takes the cake (or mixed grill)
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Waypoint names

Postby deeknow » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:53 pm

And don't forget MARLN just along N774 from PRAWN Marty :D (I'm sure there used to be a SHARK once upon a time but cant see it on the enroute charts now? CP will know)

Interesting little background piece here on the naming, is a US doc but I assume its the CAA that do the same here, choose something distinct, catchy, memorable and not controversial ..

https://aerosavvy.com/navigation-name-nonsense/

There are a couple of catchy ones near Wellington that are pretty clever ... TPAPA and UMAGA
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:50 pm

Yes there was a waypoint SHARK at Sydney. Brisbane used to have a series of waypoints in sequence on a STAR for Rwy 19 called LEAKY BOATS SINKK.
Also arriving into LAX fro London on the RIVER arrivals there were lots of moviestar names. There still is a lots of moviestar names on the HLYWD 1 arrival.
There used to be a waypoint called TRUMP in New York but they changed it because he kept whinging about aircraft noise.
In NZ there used to be a waypoint around the Cook Strait called WENCH but it got removed for PC reasons. It would have been a laugh to have had the preceding waypoint called BUSTY.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:59 pm

"BUSTY" :) Cheers CP.
deeknow,I put the waypoint/Airways overlay on Flight Radar and studied Aotearoa, there are some good ones aye.
But having followed a few flights with that overlay on, I now have more questions...but that's for later.

Happy New Year gents.
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Off Topic