Time for a new hobby...

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

Re: Time for a new hobby...

Postby Splitpin » Wed May 11, 2022 6:14 pm

Rob, that monster guy is amazing. How long did it take to print him?
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Wed May 11, 2022 6:26 pm

NZ255 wrote:You might be the only person to build a miniature railway that’s “not into trains” haha

Same with airports, really, I've said before that I don't like dirty old aircraft cluttering up my nice clean airports.

Splitpin wrote:Rob, that monster guy is amazing. How long did it take to print him?

About 4 hours. With resin printers, the print time is mainly dependent on the height of the model, rather than any complexity.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:54 pm

Everything has been on hold for the last month, partly because of finances but mainly because my cheap airbrush stopped working after a couple of weeks. This was something to do with the compressor, but I couldn't figure out how to fix it myself. I returned it to Amazon AU, who make the process painless. I ordered another airbrush locally -- more than twice the price, but still a bit budgety for my liking. This was from PB Tech, who built my PC a couple of years ago, but coming up to four weeks without any idea of when it would be delivered, yesterday I cancelled this and ordered something similar from Mighty Ape. (The Ape offered me $10 off because it's my birthday next week.) Just received an update saying it'll be delivered tomorrow! Now that's more like it....
I have a few models ready for painting, so roll on next weekend.
The next step is to lay the track, as the advise is to do this before adding any scenery elements. I have an order ready to go with Ironhorse Hobbies, but it'll be a couple of months before I can afford to actually send it through. So all I can do -- apart from printing a painting models -- is give the layout a layer of modelling clay, and a base coat.
I did know that cost would be an issue, I have chosen my first locomotive, but that's a few hundred dollars, so maybe by the end of the year. I did buy a damaged shunter for $10, it is close enough to the little shunter at the museum.
The museum actually opened Queens Birthday weekend, and they'll now open one Sunday a month for the winter. I took a few photos, and took a ride as well:) Surprisingly fun! My layout goes as far as the overhead signal about 1:28.

Watch on youtube.com

The layers of polystyrene to define the landscape are basically finished. In this photo, the grey building in the middle is one third of the main loco shed, basically as big as I can print in one go. About 10 hours to print each section.

toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:46 am

I can see why you are printing your own objects. Those Ironhorse prices are insane.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby chopper_nut » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:19 pm

It's not really an Ironhorse problem... Railway stuff is expensive. New locos from Hornby are pushing $500, the value of which is up for debate. New Bachmann CL47 with all of the bells and whistles is up around £500... That's in OO but doesn't seem to get cheaper in smaller scales.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:09 pm

Looking good Rob ..you've moved from virtual terrain to styrene ...the multi-talented Mr Corn :bow:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 pm

chopper_nut wrote: New locos from Hornby are pushing $500, the value of which is up for debate. New Bachmann CL47 with all of the bells and whistles is up around £500... That's in OO but doesn't seem to get cheaper in smaller scales.

I was a bit shocked by that. Certainly, off-the-shelf models these days are of fine-scale quality, and the control mechanisms are brilliant. But I just bought a little Holden Barina ( the Opel variety) from a mate for AUD1000 - I need a runabout while I am fixing the Suby and the HiLux, which both got caught in the flood. So there's not much in the Toys-for-Ghanpa Fund for trains :(
ATB
Mike
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:16 am

chopper_nut wrote:It's not really an Ironhorse problem... Railway stuff is expensive. New locos from Hornby are pushing $500, the value of which is up for debate. New Bachmann CL47 with all of the bells and whistles is up around £500... That's in OO but doesn't seem to get cheaper in smaller scales.

The running gear (although expensive) I sort of understand, but some of those tiny N sale objects are over $50! Surely they could be made in China for a $1.50 and retail for $5?
Rob's printer will pay for itself in no time.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Previous

Return to Off Topic