windows updates

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

windows updates

Postby Splitpin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pm

I haven't been able to post here for 24hrs, due to work, and an upgrade from windows, that took almost 4 hours :angry:
It seems, to me at least, that with each "update" my computer becomes less and less mine! .... all this advertising crap ...you need this and that ....and as I type, the bloody thing wants to do another one.

ALL I WANT is email and access to this forum....and what's with all this "cloud" rubbish, was a time when you bought something online (and got a CD/DVD), and it was yours ...now, it's in the "cloud" and you pay...and pay. :angry:
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: windows updates

Postby toprob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Hmm, I wonder about your updates, mine seem few and far between, and normally just happen when I go to shut down and it does an update first -- so I don't remember having to wait. My phone (windows, of course) does updates overnight, I get concerned that it never asks, but I do plan to give up the Windows phone shortly.

Advertising is always gonna be annoying, don't get me started. I try and manage it with an ad blocker, so if I need to use Google Chrome -- for chromecast only, normally -- I really notice the ads everywhere!

There's been a lot of talk on AVSIM lately about the 'cloud', in relation to the upcoming Microsoft sim, whether or not it'll be cloud and/or subscription-based. I must admit I love my Spotify, I used to have a nice (to me) collection of CDs, but most I dumped, as I was never ever playing them -- most of my music comes through Spotify now. It helps that I have a free account (one day they'll catch on) but I would be glad to pay for it.

I have 2 subscriptions for Prepar3d (v3 and v4) which costs me around $400 a year, which is a business expense, but I don't know how I'd feel about paying (or half, for just one sim) if I didn't have the business. I suspect I'd hate it, and probably have to go without for a month or two occasionally:)

I pay AU$14 a month for Photoshop and Lightroom, and that seems like a bargain.

When I was a solo dad, I had an Xbox for the kids, and paid a Live subscription (I never used it, as I don't play online, but the kids got a lot of use out of it), so I'm not too freaked by the concept of paying this way for games.

Now I'm off to yell and those kids walking on my lawn...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to Off Topic