Pays to stay in touch

A forum for everything else that does not fit into the other categories

Pays to stay in touch

Postby Splitpin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm

This afternoon I received a txt from an old mate I hadn't spoken to for about 3 months asking what i was up too.
I told him I was good , and working, and sorry I hadn't been in touch ...followed with a "how are you doing"

Background: I've know this guy forever, we met at the recruiting office (RNZAF) when we were 18 ....44!! years ago.
Our service numbers are one digit apart, same recruit course ...etc etc. Because of different trades, we drifted apart, but caught up when we could.
Later in life I worked with him driving tour coaches (thats a book in it self ) and have kept in touch since then in a loose sort of way.

The reply.
"I had my cancer surgery last week , and I'll be home on Friday" .... cant mention my reply.

Anyway, he has had his oesophagus removed , along with the top part of his stomach to cancer. ...I had no idea.
On checking my phone after this , I noticed I had missed (or dismissed at the time) a couple of calls from him.... and I feel bad about that.

Will catch up with him when hes home in a week or two .... odd, Im working about 1km from his house.
OnlineUser avatar
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Pays to stay in touch

Postby Splitpin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

What I'm saying here is ...I should have taken the time to reply , and I didn't, and I will regret that for a long time.
OnlineUser avatar
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby deeknow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Mate.. don't beat yourself up over it. Friends are friends and the main thing is you've connected again. Jeeze if we all answered every phone call, social media invite and email we didnt recognise we'd get nothing done. Sucks about your cobber. Surgery is never fun but hopefully they have him as sorted as poss aye
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 pm

Easier said than done for me... :unsure: ....

With no-one using; "Old Fashioned" Land Line Telephones any more, and; "Old Fashioned" E-Mail any more, I am stuffed for getting in touch with folks, and them with me!

I live in a peaceful World, and the absence of bl**dy; "Smart Phones".... B-) ...!

Whatever happens.....happens!

Paul... :D ...!
Fozzer
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 am

Sorry to learn of that news. That is major surgery for sure.
As Deeknow says don't beat yourself up over it. It is just the way it is with modern technology. It is getting harder to tell the wheat from the chaff! Just to much info to respond immediately.
I hope that the operation is successful for him.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Splitpin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks guys. The Op took 10 hours, but his team is happy with the result.
He went home today ...just before the trouble started here....and that's bloody sad as well.
Still, have a chopper circling over my area and sirens .... scary stuff.
OnlineUser avatar
Splitpin
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Return to Off Topic