Share your useful hints and tips here.

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Postby HardCorePawn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:25 pm

The package arrived Monday I think... I just opened it and went "Yup, exam slip, practice paper... all good"... and did not look at it again until Wednesday afternoon...

The only reason I did, was that I was going to get a question out of the practice exam for the Trivia thread... and that is when I noticed the different date!!! So, in a roundabout way, browsing NZFF at work saved me!

ps. Had the exam this morning... no real drama's... just the usual one or two wanky questions that ASL like to throw at you, to test your english as opposed to subject matter... things like:

What is the correct initial action to take after climbing to your selected/cleared cruise altitude?

A. Report Position to ATC
B. Change Fuel Tanks
C. Check actual climb performance against planned climb performance to see if engine is operating correctly
D. Check that DGI is aligned to Magnetic Compass

Any takers?? with your reasoning...
Last edited by HardCorePawn on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Son, we are about the break the surly bonds of gravity, and punch the face of God." -- Homer Simpson

HardCorePawn

Postby A185F » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 pm

I would prob pick A
A185F
Sim-holic

Postby chopper_nut » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:47 pm

Heres one for any guys who are learning to fly helos. More for the robbie than the H300. Dont put too much pressure on the pedals. If you are adding left pedal then just rest your right foot lightly on the pedal. They dont require much force to move and with a lot of weight on the opposite pedal you tend to over correct. You can actually fly with your left foot only (dont try this unless you have an instructor) just by varying the pressure on the left pedal.
chopper_nut

Postby spongebob206 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:10 pm

chopper_nut wrote:
QUOTE (chopper_nut @ Dec 13 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heres one for any guys who are learning to fly helos. More for the robbie than the H300. Dont put too much pressure on the pedals. If you are adding left pedal then just rest your right foot lightly on the pedal. They dont require much force to move and with a lot of weight on the opposite pedal you tend to over correct. You can actually fly with your left foot only (dont try this unless you have an instructor) just by varying the pressure on the left pedal.

Yep, totally agree. Have done this also.

Now memorise this:
Take My Pretty Fanny Firmly In Hand, Cough Twice

Remember this and you will never forget your pre take off checks. winkyy.gif

Happy Flying
Last edited by spongebob206 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spongebob206

Postby pois0n » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:18 pm

spongebob206 wrote:
QUOTE (spongebob206 @ Dec 13 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, totally agree. Have done this also.

Now memorise this:
Take My Pretty Fanny Firmly In Hand, Cough Twice

Remember this and you will never forget your pre take off checks. winkyy.gif

Happy Flying

Haha that's a good one tongue.gif

I use: To Truly Make Crap Planes Fly Fast I Initiate Heaps of Checks and Reviews

Doesn't make the pieces of cr@p any faster though laugh.gif
pois0n

Postby ZK-Brock » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:19 pm

I use: The Mad Pilot Fought Furiously In Heavy Combat
ZK-Brock
NZFF Pro

Postby HercFeend » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:49 pm

I use: Check lists - so I don't miss anything!
' Have you ever notice that the experts who decree that the age of the pilot is over are people who have never flown anything? In spite of the intensity of their feelings that the pilot's day is over I know of no expert who has volunteered to be a passenger in a non-piloted aircraft..'
HercFeend
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby HardCorePawn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:14 pm

The Man Called Fred From I.H.C...

Trims
Mixture
Carb Heat
Fuel
Flaps
Instruments
Hatches/Harnesses
Controls
"Son, we are about the break the surly bonds of gravity, and punch the face of God." -- Homer Simpson

HardCorePawn

Postby WasFlightOps » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Pre Take-off DVA's:

Take
Me
Flying
Please
I
Hate
Cars

If you're on a long cross-country and have an ADF in the instrument panel you can find an AM broadcast station if you dial up numbers that add up to 9.

i.e
1017 Radio Hauraki CHCH 10 + 1 + 7 = 18, 1 + 8 = 9
891 The Breeze WN 8 + 9 + 1 = 18, 1 + 8 = 9

etc, etc
WasFlightOps

Postby towerguy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 pm

with ref to the question above HCP

prob NOT A as when you are identified by ATC your altitude passing would have been used to verify your mode C and so no further reports of altitude passing/ reaching etc are required - big brother can see it all!

Prob not C as you should be monitoring the engines and performance during the climb anyway

prob not D as it is part of the CLEAR checks anyway every 10 mins or so ( compass, log, altimeter,engines,radios )

I would probably go for B, depending on the type, it can be normal ops to takeoff and climb on main or fullest tanks and then at top of climb and established in the cruise to start alternating tanks etc - as I say - depends on type.

thats my guesstimate and reasons anyway
cheers
TG
CPU- i7 4790K @4.0Gb Cooler- Noctua NH-D15 M/B- Z97 ProGamer P/S- 750W RAM- 16Gb
Graphics- Nvidia GTX970 16Gb Drives- 2x 120Gb SSD Samsung 850EVO, 1x 2Tb HD, 1x DVD-RW
Sound- on M/B Logitec 5.1 surround sound system OS- Win 10 pro , all wrapped in a black Corsair case Display - Panasonic UHD 4k 50" Flatscreen TV.( 3840x2160 Res)
towerguy
Sim-holic

Postby A185F » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 pm

towerguy wrote:
QUOTE (towerguy @ Dec 16 2008, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with ref to the question above HCP

prob NOT A as when you are identified by ATC your altitude passing would have been used to verify your mode C and so no further reports of altitude passing/ reaching etc are required - big brother can see it all!

Prob not C as you should be monitoring the engines and performance during the climb anyway

prob not D as it is part of the CLEAR checks anyway every 10 mins or so ( compass, log, altimeter,engines,radios )

I would probably go for B, depending on the type, it can be normal ops to takeoff and climb on main or fullest tanks and then at top of climb and established in the cruise to start alternating tanks etc - as I say - depends on type.

thats my guesstimate and reasons anyway
cheers
TG

B is also not a very good answer. Who has the right to define "CORRECT initial action" ?? correct to who ? of course unless it is a law....
It is up to the pilot /operator whether or not they want to change tanks at that stage. There can be lots of reasons to or not to change tanks (that is to say if you are unfortunate enought to be flying a piper or some other aircraft of some sorts which require altenating between tanks), but a very large chunk of aircraft would not require it... So with TG's other "prob nots" this has to be one of the crappiest exam questions. Perhaps not the crappiest cos there are plenty of em, but up there...
A185F
Sim-holic

Postby HardCorePawn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:40 am

I figured B was unlikely, as plenty of aircraft (like Cessna 152's and 172's), you don't need to change tanks and C was the 'silly' answer they usually put in.

So, I was trying to choose between A & D...

The Wally Wagtendonk book said TOC actions are Report Position, SADIE check...

I decided against A because the question said selected/cleared... so read that as not necessarily in controlled airspace. If not in controlled airspace, why would I be talking to ATC?

So I figured D...

Talking to one of the instructors at the club on Sunday, he suggested C... as it was important to know whether or not you had achieved your climb as planned and if you needed to recalculate ETA's/Position etc...

Congrats to ASL... clapping.gif you've managed to elicit 4 different answers from 4 different people... dry.gif

I'm sure this is one of the 3 questions I got wrong... I know I got the following one wrong (I managed to overthink it):

Approaching Napier (Chart says aerodrome elevation 6'), Aerodrome QNH is 1013, you set 1021 on subscale, temperature is 17C. What is the approximate reading on the altimeter when you land:

A. 6 ft
B. 120 ft
C. 240 ft
D. 480 ft
Last edited by HardCorePawn on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

HardCorePawn

Postby ZK-Brock » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:25 am

A wee while since I did the exam but..

1021-1013= 8 hpa

30ft per hectopascal so 30*8=240 so I would say C.

Edit: Is the temperature being 17 a red herring in this question?
Last edited by ZK-Brock on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZK-Brock
NZFF Pro

Postby pilotgallagher01 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:33 am

I got one, Very random. Blow into the Stall Vent on the wing while doing your pre flight check to see if it works lol
If it does , You should hear a "beeeeep"

LOL
pilotgallagher01

Postby chopper_nut » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:44 pm

ZK-Brock wrote:
QUOTE (ZK-Brock @ Dec 21 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit: Is the temperature being 17 a red herring in this question?

Temperature is only useful if working out Density Altitude. Not sure about fixed wing but most heli 'p' charts use pressure altitude and then temperature as a seperate variable.
chopper_nut

Postby HardCorePawn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:49 am

Yep the temp is a red herring... Unfortunately for me... I still had P of F and all the Density Altitude stuff still in my head... so just blindly worked through my process and adjusted for temp...

dry.gif wacko.gif icon_redface.gif

HardCorePawn

Postby chopper_nut » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:16 am

Bugger!!
chopper_nut

Postby vdm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 pm

A couple I have learned recently up here outside NZ which have been very helpful:

-Always have an exit strategy
e.g. don't ever paint yourself in a corner, if you fly into a valley then have in your mind a way to get out of that valley.

The next one encompasses everything and simplifies it right down, many guys preach this as their only rule:
Don't F@&% Up

i.e. you ran off the end- you f'd up
you descended too late- you f'd up
you miscalculated takeoff distance- you f'd up

you get the picture.
vdm

Postby HercFeend » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:24 am

The given WIND – Is it True or Magnetic?

All winds cited in METARs and TAFs are in degrees true however winds quoted by air traffic services are cited in degrees magnetic.

One way to remember this is: METAR & TAF both have the letter T in the abbreviation. The wind direction is True.
' Have you ever notice that the experts who decree that the age of the pilot is over are people who have never flown anything? In spite of the intensity of their feelings that the pilot's day is over I know of no expert who has volunteered to be a passenger in a non-piloted aircraft..'
HercFeend
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby pois0n » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 pm

HercFeend wrote:
QUOTE (HercFeend @ Jan 7 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The given WIND – Is it True or Magnetic?

All winds cited in METARs and TAFs are in degrees true however winds quoted by air traffic services are cited in degrees magnetic.

One way to remember this is: METAR & TAF both have the letter T in the abbreviation. The wind direction is True.

Some Ass Vibrates

SPAR ATIS VERBAL = Magnetic

The rest is in true tongue.gif
Last edited by pois0n on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pois0n

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand Aviation