PPL and CPL

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Postby Ian Warren » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 am

Good on ya Scotty passing IFR Navaids and IFR Nav , a recent go with NZFFers handing out old charts may require your assistants biggrin.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Liam » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 pm

ScottyB wrote:
QUOTE (ScottyB @ Nov 28 2012,6:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished all of my CPL exams; coming out at the end with a 90% average smile.gif I was pretty pleased with that after a lot of hard work.

Nice, got any tips?
Just started my theory in Law and Human Factors. Have PPL and CPL exams in a few weeks. Just reading over the material and from the practice exams I'm pretty confident.
Was the tests easier than you anticipated?

Any study tips your can recommend other than rtfq? haha.
Liam

Postby huff3r » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am

Liam wrote:
QUOTE (Liam @ Nov 30 2012,9:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice, got any tips?
Just started my theory in Law and Human Factors. Have PPL and CPL exams in a few weeks. Just reading over the material and from the practice exams I'm pretty confident.

Study up on the dictionary and thesaurus too, ASL are known for making any exam into a comprehension test. They have used some really obscure words in some of my exams. If they do that to you, leave a comment complaining. It's not supposed to be an English exam!
huff3r

Postby ScottyB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Liam wrote:
QUOTE (Liam @ Nov 30 2012,9:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice, got any tips?

Are you self studying them or going to lectures?

Definitely RTFQ, RTFA and if so, RTFI (instructions)

As pointed out above, ASL like to word things very strangely; so if this occurs, you can only go back over the question and think hard an clear about what they are wanting to know. Hopefully it will make sense and correspond to an answer.

Also, draw diagrams to help you visualise the question. In most exams you will have plenty of time; take that and draw pictures, graphs, etc, anything that could help you clear things up.

Good luck!
ScottyB
Sim-holic

Postby benwynn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:52 am

My advice for the CPL exams (the computer ones) is to mark questions that you aren't 100% sure on. If you're sure its the answer, select it and move on. If you're only 99% sure select what you think and mark it for review. I believe it helped me a lot of CPL and ATPL exams.
Last edited by benwynn on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
benwynn

Postby Liam » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Cheers guys, I have my PPL exams this Friday and CPL after the weekend. PPL should give me a good indication of what ASL exams are like.

I'm in a classroom environment and there's a lot of QnA and practice tests, so keeping well on top of things. Self study seems like a nightmare.
Liam

Postby FlyingKiwi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Self study is doable but you do have to be very dedicated, and while it certainly helps that most people studying aviation exams have a very keen interest in the subject there is still plenty of pretty dry stuff in there! Classroom study is definitely much easier in that you have a constant drive to actually get the work done instead of falling into procrastination mode.
FlyingKiwi

Postby huff3r » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:40 pm

CPL Flight Test tomorrow! Hoping for an awesome Christmas. Max Rate turns are a struggle though, the tolerances are sooo small!!
huff3r

Postby benwynn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 pm

All the best with that huff3r. An instructor at my school told me that once your max-rate turns are at their worst, you're ready for your test. All seems to come together on the day.
benwynn

Postby huff3r » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:17 pm

benwynn wrote:
QUOTE (benwynn @ Dec 20 2012,11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the best with that huff3r. An instructor at my school told me that once your max-rate turns are at their worst, you're ready for your test. All seems to come together on the day.

Awesome! Cos they were terrible yesterday. But cancelled today due Wx unfortunately. 10th of January it is now..
huff3r

Postby kiwispotter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 am

Kia ora folks! New_Zealand_etc.gif

- First time poster on the forums -

I am about to sit all six CPL ground modules, following two intensive months of self-study.

Is there any way to evaluate how 'ready' you are through sample exam papers (not necessarily ASL material) or a website that would be dedicated to NZ CPL theory preparation please? Just trying to get the feel of the format before sitting the real exam...

Thanks for your help!
kiwispotter

Postby chopper_nut » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 am

None that I know of, the first exam is always a bit of an eye opener. I found that the sample exams wern't really that accurate. It might be different now though. When I sat them, the biggest thing was interpreting the questions and finding the 'most correct' answer. Good luck.
chopper_nut

Postby kiwispotter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 am

chopper_nut wrote:
QUOTE (chopper_nut @ Jan 9 2013,9:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
None that I know of, the first exam is always a bit of an eye opener. I found that the sample exams wern't really that accurate. It might be different now though. When I sat them, the biggest thing was interpreting the questions and finding the 'most correct' answer. Good luck.

Quite right, and it's been mentioned elsewhere that the ''ASL wording'' can frequently be subject to interpretation, hence my worry. unsure.gif
Such a shame there aren't more resources available online though.
kiwispotter

Postby huff3r » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm

So umm... apparently I'm a licensed commercial pilot now... since about 1pm today biggrin.gif. Now just need to find a job!
huff3r

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 am

huff3r wrote:
QUOTE (huff3r @ Jan 10 2013,10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So umm... apparently I'm a licensed commercial pilot now... since about 1pm today biggrin.gif. Now just need to find a job!

I have an aircraft sitting at Auckland - only ive be told I don't have a CPL ... Well Done cool.gif .. If ya see me on the passenger manifest give me a nudge i'd be more than happy to be your CP .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby chopper_nut » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm

huff3r wrote:
QUOTE (huff3r @ Jan 9 2013,10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice work mate. Id head up NW Aussie, plenty of work if your willing to travel and live in the bush.

kiwispotter wrote:
QUOTE (kiwispotter @ Jan 8 2013,10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite right, and it's been mentioned elsewhere that the ''ASL wording'' can frequently be subject to interpretation, hence my worry. unsure.gif
Such a shame there aren't more resources available online though.

Biggest advise I can give is to RTFQ x2 and go with your first answer.
Last edited by chopper_nut on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
chopper_nut

Postby kiwispotter » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:48 am

Biggest advise I can give is to RTFQ x2 and go with your first answere.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, I shall remember that cool.gif
kiwispotter

Postby Mith18 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:46 pm

chopper_nut wrote:
QUOTE (chopper_nut @ Jan 16 2013,7:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Biggest advise I can give is to RTFQ x2 and go with your first answere.

I'm gonna remember that for my Met exam next Tuesday.
Last edited by Mith18 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mith18

Postby Yob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before but what is the best Flight school in New Zealand, Price is any where to 25k.

Thanks Guys

Elijah Ormandy
Eli'jah
Yob
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:23 am

Yob wrote:
QUOTE (Yob @ Jan 25 2013,9:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but what is the best Flight school in New Zealand, Price is any where to 25k.

Ians Aviation Flight School in Wobblyville , even when you sit for exam's we even throw in some turbulence for realism rolleyes.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand Aviation