PPL and CPL

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Postby Liam » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Got my trial flight booked this weekend, looks like I'm gonna need a second job if I want get my PPL anytime soon.
Probably going to tackle the theory via self-study, anyone here done the same and passed alright?
Last edited by Liam on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam

Postby chopper_nut » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:14 pm

I self studied my PPL subjects and then did the ground course at NAC in Motueka for my CPLs. Also did my flying there. Well worth it.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Liam » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Yeah, I'm going to give the PPL theory a go, and if all goes smoothly I'll do the same for CPL.

Definitely dead set on Garden City, good bunch of folks there. Talked to Neil Scott, man looks like a Veteran, good bloke.

How many hours did you put into flying per week Chopper? Were you working while you trained?
Liam

Postby Ian Warren » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Liam , I missed seeing the chap and never spoke to him but my old work place at General Cable , this guy spoke and said he was going to be a Helicopter pilot and everyone apparently joshed and knocked him for a six , he worked filling coffee machines then one day handed his notice in to the surprise of the crew he worked with , don't matter if ya stack shelves at a supermarket or pump petrol , your mission is that pilots seat and go for it .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby chopper_nut » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:32 pm

I started flying fixed wing and I self studied my PPL subjects while I was doing that. I then got back into helicopters and I self funded most of the hours towards my PPL in Blenheim with a bank loan, got that paid off now thank god. Then went over to Motueka and did the ground course and CPL flying. When I was studying in Mot, there was a group of us and we just got together on weekends and nights to study and help each other out. It was definatly a 'total immersion' type environment. The same went when we started flying with us helping each other out if we were having a hard time. When I was doing my instructor rating, I was at the college virtually every day and weekends doing PofF and board briefings. Its pretty intense but its worth it. I did a little bit of work while I was there but I was there during the height of the student loan scheme so it wasnt as necessary to work. Neil Scott is the man, awesome bloke. Tim Douglas Clifford runs the show in Nelson with the rescue helicopter and he is another absolute legend.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Liam » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Never really thought Student Loan covered Pilot training that thoroughly, I see that's all changing next year anyway.

Garden City tells me there's only two locations in NZ offering the Student Loan scheme, NAC is one of them and it's very competitive. The idea of a loan does not appeal to me, although a bank loan is much worse.
Would really like to nail in as many hours flying per week as possible, and it doesn't seem possible the way I was planning.

How many hours flying a week minimum would be sufficient to keep on top of things?
Liam

Postby benwynn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm

I'd reconsider the idea of getting a Student Loan. As long as you stay in New Zealand, its completely interest free. It pays for all your theory/exams and dual flying; I don't think they pay for solo hours anymore. But still, it's truly a great scheme worth looking into. If you want to work and pay it off, thats no problem, you can do that. However, you won't have to stop flying if you do runout of money which is ideal, as stopping and starting is only going to make your training longer and more expensive.

RE: hours to keep on top of things

It depends what stage you are at with your flying. When I first started, flying daily was the best thing as it really helped me to learn all my checklists etc. Consequently, I went solo with low hours and achieved my PPL with low hours. Having weeks off at a time as well as worrying about finishing exams will inhibit your ability to learn quickly at the early stage of flying. However, once in CPL phase for hour building and instructor rating if you choose to do that too, having a wee break won't be of too considerable consequence compared to pre-PPL.
Last edited by benwynn on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benwynn

Postby chopper_nut » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:51 pm

whathesaid.gif
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Liam » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Cheers Benwynn, guess I have a lot to consider.
Liam

Postby Liam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:15 pm

First time at the controls of an R22 yesterday, and holy hell I tensed up bad. Can't say I did too well but damn, what a view.

Was kind of disheartening, but it's given me a great insight into flying. Instructor made it seem so easy!
Liam

Postby Ian Warren » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Liam wrote:
QUOTE (Liam @ Sep 16 2012,5:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First time at the controls of an R22 yesterday, and holy hell I tensed up bad.

Never tried rotor , happens to everyone , my first hands on seemed i was flying it like i was in a B-17 combat wing and in a glider went the other way trying to break the wings off , least instructor thought i was in a Red Flag exercise .

Congrat's on your first hands on cool.gif
Last edited by Ian Warren on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby victor_alpha_charlie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Passed my CPL on Friday, bit sad to be leaving Christchurch!
victor_alpha_charlie
NZFF Pro

Postby Liam » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Cheers Ian, keen for more!

victor_alpha_charlie wrote:
QUOTE (victor_alpha_charlie @ Sep 16 2012,9:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice, must feel good.

Were you here to study? Or are you leaving to find work?
Liam

Postby huff3r » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 pm

victor_alpha_charlie wrote:
QUOTE (victor_alpha_charlie @ Sep 16 2012,9:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome work!

Slightly related note, knocked off the last ATPL exam today. Low 90%s average for them all so far so pretty stoked.

And now onto IR test probably early next week. Seems like I started this course a couple weeks ago, but I've only got 2 months to run!
huff3r

Postby A185F » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Congratulations VAC. Its very pleasing to see you and the many others on this forum actually taking up a career in real world aviation. There's been a few in the 5 years I've been following and it proves the strong ambitions and enthusiasm displayed through flightsim.

All the best.
A185F
Sim-holic

Postby chopper_nut » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 am

Liam wrote:
QUOTE (Liam @ Sep 15 2012,4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First time at the controls of an R22 yesterday, and holy hell I tensed up bad. Can't say I did too well but damn, what a view.

Was kind of disheartening, but it's given me a great insight into flying. Instructor made it seem so easy!

Congrats, you've taken the first step toward a completely different way of life.
Don't feel too bad about not doing that well, they're not an easy machine to fly, as long as your enthusiastic about flying then you'll progress.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby huff3r » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Knocked off the MEIR this morning! So happy, now onto the final CPL training and the big test!

Only took 9 months to do it haha, thanks to having ATPL groundschool for 10 weeks in the middle.
huff3r

Postby benwynn » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 pm

huff3r wrote:
QUOTE (huff3r @ Nov 19 2012,3:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knocked off the MEIR this morning! So happy, now onto the final CPL training and the big test!

Only took 9 months to do it haha, thanks to having ATPL groundschool for 10 weeks in the middle.

Good job mate, hope the ride back down to single engine doesn't hurt too much.
benwynn

Postby huff3r » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:34 am

benwynn wrote:
QUOTE (benwynn @ Nov 19 2012,9:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good job mate, hope the ride back down to single engine doesn't hurt too much.

Been pretty smooth so far, the Cessna is much easier to fly haha,

CPL test is booked for the 19th December, just in time for Christmas!
huff3r

Postby ScottyB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Just finished all of my CPL exams; coming out at the end with a 90% average smile.gif I was pretty pleased with that after a lot of hard work.

I have passed IFR Navaids and sitting IFR Nav and IFR Law currently, with both exams booked for December 18th. All going well it should be a great Christmas!

I then start Multi-engine flying on a Seneca or Partenavia in the new year! Just a year to go!

All I can say is that for those of you considering this as a career option....GET INTO IT! It is a fantastic industry
ScottyB
Sim-holic

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand Aviation