PPL and CPL

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Postby pacblue » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey guys, i have finally decided to sell the car and get a loan to get my PPL and pursue my CPL. all im asking now is any tips or handy information by anyone on here that has completed either of the 2 licences and am looking into the CTC wings school in hamilton, has anyone been through that course and have any good imfo about it?? and how difficult is it to get into it? any help is appreciated. thank you
pacblue
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby HardCorePawn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:58 am

Don't have too much 'first hand' knowledge of CTC Wings... only heard the usual (mostly unfounded) rumour and gossip that floats around the aviation world (sky god's in training etc.) dry.gif

From what I gather, they seem to be a bit more focused on the international guys (ie. the UK cadets)... but having said that, I heard that a couple of NZ guys from CTC recently got picked up by Eagle... (disclaimer: past performance not indicative of future performance yadda yadda)...

In terms of 'fulltime integrated'-type courses, there are other options, like the degree offered at Massey... or the International Aviation Academy down in Canterbury... and some of the smaller ones like Ardmore Flying School, Waikato Aero Club, Nelson, Southern Wings etc... A lot of them are run in conjunction with the Nelson Malborough Institute of Technology (NMIT)... basically you sign up to the NMIT course to qualify for Student Loans etc. but do your flying at the associated organisation.

I know one of the B-Cats at Massey and they seem to have changed from the early days... but unfortunately they are still (unfairly) suffering from the bad reputation that was gained during those early days... the aviation industry in NZ is very small and has a long memory dry.gif... rumour has is that Massey are upgrading their fleet in the near future... nice shiny Warrior III's with glass cockpits etc...

As for how hard they are to get into... well Keagan got into Massey... so it cannot be that hard winkyy.gif Seriously tho, they have interviews and skills assessments etc. but it is not like you have to be some sort of hardcore genius or anything.

Other than that, you have the option of going via a smaller aeroclub or flying schools... plenty of those around the place, so I'm not going to list them all here.

Now some random tips in no particular order of importance...

- If you have not done so, get your medical done NOW, if not sooner... If you have your heart set on CPL, do the Class 1 medical upfront... it will include the Class 2, and while the Class 1 is only valid for 12 months, your Class 2 should be valid for 5 years (depending on your age etc), and you only need to get the Class 1 current when you want to actually get the CPL... best to spend the $$$ now to make sure you are actually going to be able to continue.

- If you end up doing your training at a smaller aeroclub or part-time etc... do your exams as soon as possible. You'll learn a lot, and it is 6 less things to worry when training

- When you have exams booked, turn up... preferably on time... you would be amazed at the number of people who seem to have $108 (current cost of CPL exam sitting) to waste by not showing up for exams...

- Don't pay for things 'Up Front'... getting a 5% discount on flying hours/training may look like a good idea until the organisation goes out of business taking your money with them or they change the rules on you dry.gif

- Try to fly as often as you can... currency will prevent you from having to 're-learn' things which is costly in terms of both time and money.

- Try to fly with the same instructor as much as possible... continuity will prevent you from having to 're-learn' things which is costly in terms of both time and money.

- If you are struggling with your instructors teaching style, have a word with the CFI (Chief Flying Instructor)... it is your money, and if the product and/or service is not up to your expectations, do something about it... vote with your feet if you have to and walk away.

- Learn what the term 'Good Airmanship' really means... and practice it!

- Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something... and ask for help...

- Don't be afraid of crosswinds... learn how to do crosswind landings properly and practice them often

- Don't put off the Instrument Flying, Night Flying or Cross-country flying... you do not want to get into the situation of wanting to go for your flight test, but not having the minimum requirements needed (this is also why you want to do your exams ASAP!)

- Don't buy a big watch

- Don't get a personalised plate like 'AV80R' or 'FLYBOI'

- Don't use an email address like 'topgun@hotmail.com'... CV's sent from these types of addresses will almost certainly be deleted immediately (this applies outside of aviation as well)

- Make sure the chocks are removed before you strap yourself into the aircraft icon_redface.gif
"Son, we are about the break the surly bonds of gravity, and punch the face of God." -- Homer Simpson

HardCorePawn

Postby FlyingKiwi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:13 am

I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get onto the course, as long as you can do some basic maths, use a bit of common sense, have a decent amount of co-ordination etc. At the end of the day you're applying to a flying school, not an airline. tongue.gif
FlyingKiwi

Postby Q300 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm

How basic would the maths be? biggrin.gif
Last edited by Q300 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q300
Sim-holic

Postby FunkymonkeyNZ » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:27 pm

Q300 wrote:
QUOTE (Q300 @ Oct 6 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I my self are currently through my third paper of my CPL and i can say that the Math isn't anything to be biteing your nails over, look at it this way, i hated math at school, took me ages to pick it up while others were leaps and bounds ahead of me and once i left school i put all that behind me, after 5 years of not using math you get reintroduced to it tongue.gif just your usual division, subtraction, multiplication etc etc... its using formulas is what gets most people. Ive found that CPL is a big step up from PPL but as always study study study!!! so far ive failed only one exam, that was CPL Navigation and by only one percent!!! dry.gif
the only bad thing i could say about the aviation industry as a whole is the brown noseing, keep a positive attitude and you'll fly through!
Chris Maher
NZ CPL(A)+MEIR, NZNV,
FunkymonkeyNZ
Forum Addict

Postby WasFlightOps » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:05 pm

..and more importantly, learn to tolerate bad coffee! I've worked at both ends of the flight training spectrum. Consistancy is the key, in instructor and in training (ie not 6 weeks between flights!)

Did I mention the coffee?
WasFlightOps

Postby pois0n » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Q300 wrote:
QUOTE (Q300 @ Oct 6 2008, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

piece of cake, i barely scraped through a pass in 6th form and i didnt fail any CPL/IR subjects
Last edited by pois0n on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pois0n

Postby pacblue » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:20 am

thank you all for the advice its all much appreciated, im booking my intro flight at NZPP for friday hopfully
(and medical soon after smile.gif )
cheers guys
pacblue
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby kiwiflyboy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:31 am

Hahaha the maths is really really basic, Im a c-cat instructor, with MEIR and will have all ATPL's by friday, and i didnt pass 5th form, not saying that I havent had to work a bit harder than some others, but the math is really simple stuff.
kiwiflyboy

Postby Q300 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:32 am

FunkymonkeyNZ wrote:
QUOTE (FunkymonkeyNZ @ Oct 6 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I my self are currently through my third paper of my CPL and i can say that the Math isn't anything to be biteing your nails over, look at it this way, i hated math at school, took me ages to pick it up while others were leaps and bounds ahead of me and once i left school i put all that behind me, after 5 years of not using math you get reintroduced to it tongue.gif just your usual division, subtraction, multiplication etc etc... its using formulas is what gets most people. Ive found that CPL is a big step up from PPL but as always study study study!!! so far ive failed only one exam, that was CPL Navigation and by only one percent!!! dry.gif
the only bad thing i could say about the aviation industry as a whole is the brown noseing, keep a positive attitude and you'll fly through!

pois0n wrote:
QUOTE (pois0n @ Oct 6 2008, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
piece of cake, i barely scraped through a pass in 6th form and i didnt fail any CPL/IR subjects

kiwiflyboy wrote:
QUOTE (kiwiflyboy @ Oct 7 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahaha the maths is really really basic, Im a c-cat instructor, with MEIR and will have all ATPL's by friday, and i didnt pass 5th form, not saying that I havent had to work a bit harder than some others, but the math is really simple stuff.

Ok thanks for that info guys! I just scraped through on NCEA Lv1 Maths Then left school so I havent realy done anything since sad.gif
I did find I was quite good at using algebraic formulas etc, etc and using them in a 'pratical' form to something i am interested in thumbup1.gif
Q300
Sim-holic

Postby FlyingKiwi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:12 pm

If you can do basic trigonometry, with the aid of a calculator of course, you'll be able to do any of the maths you might encounter. It's all pretty straightforward stuff, I'm pretty useless at maths - hated it in school, did pretty badly in all the exams - and I haven't had any problems so far.
FlyingKiwi

Postby Q300 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm

FlyingKiwi wrote:
QUOTE (FlyingKiwi @ Oct 7 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can do basic trigonometry, with the aid of a calculator of course, you'll be able to do any of the maths you might encounter. It's all pretty straightforward stuff, I'm pretty useless at maths - hated it in school, did pretty badly in all the exams - and I haven't had any problems so far.

Sounds like me dude winkyy.gif biggrin.gif
Q300
Sim-holic

Postby Timmo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Im not great at mental maths either (although do have a very statistical/probability orientated mind and enjoyed studying that at Uni?? weird) but what helps me is actually visualizing what the question is asking in real terms- Rather than seeing it as just numbers, think about what you are trying to achieve in the question and how it relates to the situation in the air. This also enables you to do a 'reality check' on your answer more easily. I often also use my hands as a mini aircraft just to check drift angles/correction angles as well.

I think that is a more general thing to apply too- Don't get so caught up in the details that you cant 'see the forest for the trees'.
Timmo
NZFF Pro

Postby FlyingKiwi » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:47 am

I think they key with maths in aviation is that it's "visual" in terms of most problems you're likely to encounter are things you can visualise, or draw a diagram, and so forth. There isn't really any of the abstract calculus stuff which is I think what most people naturally find very difficult.
FlyingKiwi

Postby TimG » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I got accepted into CTC yesterday. smile.gif The maths test was fairly basic mental maths, you have 15 questions in 15 minutes so you have to do it quickly though. The most important test you do is the Pilapt test, which lasts about 1 hr 15 min and really tires you out. But other than that you just have to show them you are a balanced person and are determined to become an airline pilot. If you have any other questions about the selection feel free to ask me.
TimG

Postby pacblue » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:39 am

TimG wrote:
QUOTE (TimG @ Oct 11 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got accepted into CTC yesterday. smile.gif The maths test was fairly basic mental maths, you have 15 questions in 15 minutes so you have to do it quickly though. The most important test you do is the Pilapt test, which lasts about 1 hr 15 min and really tires you out. But other than that you just have to show them you are a balanced person and are determined to become an airline pilot. If you have any other questions about the selection feel free to ask me.

cheers mate, and congratulations on being accepted!! smile.gif
pacblue
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Q300 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 am

Yea congrats man!! Enjoy that dude plane.gif
Q300
Sim-holic

Postby HercFeend » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm currently studying CPL Navigation, first CPL exam that I'm tackling, and although I'm coming to grips with the maths (like most of you I haven't done any for a while) I'm concerned about being able to hold all the relative info, formulae etc etc in my heed!

Do any of you guys have any little tips and tricks?

What text books are you using? I've bought the CPL 'Pilot Books' series by Walter Wagtendonk et al from pilotbooks.co.nz I think they're good and like the format, with plenty of review questions etc. I've also downloaded and bought the PPL & CPL practice exams from Aviation Services Ltd. Are there any online resources that anyone would recommend?

Cheers
' Have you ever notice that the experts who decree that the age of the pilot is over are people who have never flown anything? In spite of the intensity of their feelings that the pilot's day is over I know of no expert who has volunteered to be a passenger in a non-piloted aircraft..'
HercFeend
Forum Addict

Postby FunkymonkeyNZ » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:41 pm

HercFeend wrote:
QUOTE (HercFeend @ Oct 14 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm currently studying CPL Navigation, first CPL exam that I'm tackling, and although I'm coming to grips with the maths (like most of you I haven't done any for a while) I'm concerned about being able to hold all the relative info, formulae etc etc in my heed!

Do any of you guys have any little tips and tricks?

What text books are you using? I've bought the CPL 'Pilot Books' series by Walter Wagtendonk et al from pilotbooks.co.nz I think they're good and like the format, with plenty of review questions etc. I've also downloaded and bought the PPL & CPL practice exams from Aviation Services Ltd. Are there any online resources that anyone would recommend?

Cheers

Oh my God, i tell ya, after i finish up my CPL and BGT papers i never want to read another sentence written by bloody Wagtendonk!!! laugh.gif " an easy to read and understand format"....hahaha yea and pigs fly!
but seriously tho mate i know what your going through, CPL NAV was my biggest flaw. everyone has their weak spots and unfortunetly this was mine, all i can say is ask all the questions you can, even after class keep annoying your instructor or teacher...remember its your money that pays their wages. those practice exams help A LOT!
ask your cheif ground instructor if they have any old ASL papers from years back that you can test your knowledge on... but the number one key to get this under your belt.....STUDY.....thats all i can say. good luck with your exam mate and i look forward to hearing the results ok! thumbup1.gif
Chris Maher
NZ CPL(A)+MEIR, NZNV,
FunkymonkeyNZ
Forum Addict

Postby pois0n » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:37 pm

I found for both CPL and IR Nav, that having an a5 size bit of paper with all the basics (formulas etc) written on it helped.. just looked at it every spare moment for a day or two and I managed to pass both exams first time
pois0n

Next

Return to New Zealand Aviation