Do Pilots Need Training Or Not For Leased Planes?

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Do Pilots Need Training Or Not For Leased Planes?

Postby Aharon » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:09 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I am having interesting intellectual aviation discussion about requirement of training for pilots for leased plane.

I just found out that Air New Zealand is leasing Boeing 777-200ER from another Asia based airline to cover for its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft which have been impacted by Rolls Royce engine issues and Air New Zealand changed the registration for 772ER to ZK-OKI so that Air New Zealand pilots can fly this plane.

I expressed pondering question that don't NZ pilots need lots of time for training for 777-200ERs.

To my surprise, people said no to my question. They said there's a common type-rating for the B777-300ER and B772. People say there is no difference for a 737 pilot to fly 737-500, 737-600, 737-700, 737-800, and 737-900 as well as there is no difference for an A320 pilot to fly A318, A319, A320, and A321.

Do you agree or not?

I disagree because 777-300ER has a lot LONGER body than the shorter body 777-200ER meaning it would require different flying skills and therefore require training on how to handle a plane with LONGER body plane. Correct?

What do all of you think? There is a forum member here who flies Air New Zealand 777-300ER and I would appreciate his input on this as long as he does not mind and does not get offended that I forgot his forum name. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Re: Do Pilots Need Training Or Not For Leased Planes?

Postby cowpatz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 am

Hi Aharon,

Actually we currently have 3 aircraft under lease. 2 772's which are ex Singapore (but now owned by a Boeing) and an EVA air 773. ZK-OKI is due to be returned very shortly (if it hasn't been already).
In our normal fleet we have a mix of 772's and 773's. During the initial training onto the 777 we cover both the variants. The simulator is configured for the 773 which is the predominant fleet variant.
Apart from being longer (by 10m ), wider (by 4m), a difference of about 5.5m from nose wheel to main gear, there is not a big difference. The 773 is fitted with cameras to monitor the nose and main gear to assist with taxying around corners.
Also the 772 has RR engines and the 773 GE but there is not a great deal of difference in the practical operation of them. The 773 also has a retractable tail skid due to it's longer length and therefore a higher risk of tail strike during rotation on TO and when landing.

These differences are covered during the type rating course.

As for the lease aircraft our technical operations team scrutinise each aircraft for differences in specifications, airline options (ie avionic fit out) and various other operational differences.
They then publish a Supplemental bulletin to the crew outlining all the differences. Prior to the initial operation of each of the lease aircraft we are required to view an online training module. The differences are small but important to know.
Things such as a different engine thrust rating, weather radar, Transponder unit as well as the 2 ex lease aircraft having ADFs fitted where our AC do not. Apart from these differences they handle exactly the same as our own a/c (the advantage of a FBW control system).

The difference in handling a 772 versus a 773 is very minor with just a little extra care when taxiing but that is about all. The 773 also tends to fly lower (by almost a flight level) than the 772 due to wing loading.

I hope that this answers your question Aharon but feel free to ask more.

Cheers
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby NZ255 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 am

According to the Airbus website:
Pilots can fly the A318, A319, A320 and A321 with a Single Type Rating thanks to their identical cockpits and operating procedures.

The 737 would be different I’d think as there’s a few generations. Eg Classic, NG, MAX.
But I believe as they’re similar airframes you’d only need to do a short differences course if you already held a type rating. For example going from NG to MAX. There’s more to talk about there but that’d be going off topic.
Nick
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby SA227 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:36 pm

In NZ the 737 classic rating covers the 300 / 400 / 500 and the NG is separate. As a classic driver I can complete a differences course to get the NG rating but an NG pilot must do the full type rating course to fly the classic.
Australia consider the 737 a common type rating.
SA227
Forum Addict

Postby Aharon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:09 am

Cowpatz,

Thanks for fantastic explanations. To tell you truth, I was under distinctive impression that pilots would require few months of training for eased 772s but guess I am wrong.

You gave me NEW fact that 773 flies lower than 772!!! I never knew that!

When you said "we are required to view an online training module.", are you referring to training video or flight simulator?

Once again, thanks for great explanations and I realize it is you the 773 pilot.

NZ225 and SA227,

Thanks for great explanations.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon

Topic author

Postby cowpatz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Aharon.
It is a computer based learning module. It can be done from any computer or tablet.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:21 am

Thanks for answer, Cowpatz! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Aharon

Topic author

Return to New Zealand Aviation