ATC Frequency List

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Postby ardypilot » Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

If its cool Trolly, Ill also keep adding frequencies periodically as needed.

Ive also made one or two amendments to the list.

Yeah KAG- go for it mate. That is the reason I originally posted it here!

I built up that list myself, via e-mails from various pilots and info from www.nzscanners.org.nz
Intel Core i5-2400|8GB RAM|ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)|1TB Seagate Barracuda|Windows 7 64 Bit|FSX Gold Edition|24" AOC Widescreen
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby flightsimaviator » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:39 am

Does anyone know the frequencys for paraparaumu awib and paraparaumu traffic? If not the traffic is 118.300 and awib is 128.400
flightsimaviator

Postby leow5263 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:51 pm

Great list
Last edited by leow5263 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leow5263
Forum Addict

Postby Squawk1200 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:36 pm

Air NZ Link (Nelson) is 131.40, i will confirm this tomo, was listening to all the action today (coz of the wx) on the Nelson Traffic radio (Nelson Traffic/Ops is on same Freq)
-- Thunder
Squawk1200

Postby Alex » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Squawk1200 wrote:
QUOTE (Squawk1200 @ Jul 30 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Air NZ Link (Nelson) is 131.40, i will confirm this tomo, was listening to all the action today (coz of the wx) on the Nelson Traffic radio (Nelson Traffic/Ops is on same Freq)

Okidoke, I'm happy to pop it in the main post - when you've confirmed just post here with the say-so. smile.gif

Alex
Alex
NZFF Pro

Postby Squawk1200 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:57 am

just cranked up the scanner this morning, it is 131.40 cool.gif
-- Thunder
Squawk1200

Postby atc_unit » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:14 pm

If you get really stuck.. check out www.aip.net.nz

You can go to the aerodrome section and look up any aerodromes frequency (located on the top of the aerodrome operational data page usually).

If you are after terminal area radar, area radar or FISCOM frequency (CH Information as its known as) look up the appropriate section in the ENR (enroute) pages. Note a lot of the non-procedual tower frequencies are not repeated... if you are in a bit of a bad spot you might only be able to pick up airbourne stuff or repeated stuff. Remembering that VHF works ideally on line of site (LOS).

Leon
Leon Gibbs
VATNZ Deputy Director
NZ CPL(A)+MEIR, B-Cat
Stewart Island Flights - IVC
atc_unit

Postby NZCoffee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:24 pm

Can't find any NZ ATC on this site: http://www.liveatc.net/

Does anyone know where I can listen online to any New Zealand feeds?
NZCoffee

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:48 pm

There used to be a few NZ feeds on that website, but they were taken off as it was found they were in breach of the Telecommunications (?) act. To listen into ATC you'd really need to buy a scanner, or borrow one from a friend...

Alex
Alex
NZFF Pro

Postby Timmo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Alex wrote:
QUOTE (Alex @ Nov 24 2008, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There used to be a few NZ feeds on that website, but they were taken off as it was found they were in breach of the Telecommunications (?) act. To listen into ATC you'd really need to buy a scanner, or borrow one from a friend...

Alex

Yeah....and its super dumb they did that. The closest you can get to learning correct NZ terminology (without a scanner) is listening to the Aussie live ATC Feeds.

My Scenery map also has frequencies for airspace (well, it will as soon as I get home and upload the latest files winkyy.gif
Last edited by Timmo on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timmo
NZFF Pro

Postby shotgun » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Red Cheakers Rule!!
Helicopters can't actually fly. Their just so ugly that the world repels them. :)
shotgun
Forum Addict

Postby leow5263 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:59 pm

shotgun wrote:
QUOTE (shotgun @ Jul 16 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Red Cheakers Rule!!

you stole my post!

does anybody know what the average range of a scanner with the handheld aerial?
leow5263
Forum Addict

Postby greaneyr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:45 pm

leow5263 wrote:
QUOTE (leow5263 @ Aug 24 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you stole my post!

does anybody know what the average range of a scanner with the handheld aerial?

It depends on so many factors. The power of the transmitter, the location of the transmitter antenna (many frequencies actually have more than one transmitter site), the position of the receiver, and obstacles between receiver and transmitter are probably the most influential. You can be parked next to an airport listening to the tower and not receive a transmission from the tower if the receiver isn't sited well in your car, for instance. By contrast, with a good antenna in a good geographic location and with the right atmospheric conditions, you might receive the same transmitter many tens of miles away.

Here's a few rules to go by:

Area/Approach control often use hilltop sites, whereas towers generally don't, unless there is major terrain in the area
Towers are often the curse of home scanner enthusiasts because of the previous rule
You'll receive aircraft much further away than any ground station any day, even though their transmit power is considerably lower, due to having a clear line of sight
Area control centers often use multiple transmitter sites, and sometimes even switch between them depending on where the aircraft is they are calling
Many uncontrolled airports have ground stations specifically for IFR clearances either by Christchurch information, or the nearest area control center

I live about 4NM from Palmerston North tower, and I can't get it with a handheld antenna. If I lived in the country, I possibly could at this distance. I can, however, get Ohakea Control very clearly and I'm about 6NM from their hilltop transmitter site. When I lived in the country (25NM from Ohakea's radio) I could receive it fine with just a handheld antenna. PM tower was a little more challenging and required an outdoor antenna installation, but I got it at 10NM. Not a great reception, but readable.

If you give me specific details of where you're trying to listen from and what you're trying to pick up, I could give an idea if its feasible or not. I can get details on the radio equipment used at each of the transmitters (its public information).

Richard
greaneyr
Forum Addict

Postby whirlybird » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 am

Sorry to bump this up guys but I was just wondering if there were any advances with anything lately to listening to ATC or
do we need to take something to the CAA and try get some change for Learning purposes. Id be stoke even if it had a 5min delay or something.
whirlybird

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am

Hey Whirly , all you need is a scanner and you can plug onto any frequency , ideal out on airport outings and even better with your laptop using flight radar .
Last edited by Ian Warren on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby benwynn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm

NZ Law prohibits radio calls being recorded and replayed to third parties. I'm assuming thats why there aren't any sites that provide a direct link to ATC. I agree, it's a valuable learning tool for student pilots and it's a shame there aren't any current facilities. Obviously depending where you live, Ian's idea is great.
benwynn

Postby J7G » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:56 pm

It prohibits it provided the party owning/leasing the frequency doesn't consent. IIRC Airways manage it and they've had all the previous streams taken down. Why? No idea, doesn't make sense to me. It's hardly a security issue.
J7G
Forum Addict

Postby whirlybird » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Oct 30 2012,11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Whirly , all you need is a scanner and you can plug onto any frequency , ideal out on airport outings and even better with your laptop using flight radar .

Hmm shame about the law.

So whats flight radar? sounds like fun...
How many NM away from NZTG do you reckon you could pick it up?
I live in the Matua area and it would be almost line of sight roughly with a small rise...

J7G wrote:
QUOTE (J7G @ Oct 30 2012,3:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It prohibits it provided the party owning/leasing the frequency doesn't consent. IIRC Airways manage it and they've had all the previous streams taken down. Why? No idea, doesn't make sense to me. It's hardly a security issue.

Maybe we should petition it..... unsure.gif
whirlybird

Postby Ian Warren » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm

whirlybird wrote:
QUOTE (whirlybird @ Oct 30 2012,9:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So whats flight radar? sounds like fun...

Regular used and track alsorts , but is limited due to many aircraft not having the transponder/radio equip http://www.flightradar24.com/
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby whirlybird » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Oct 30 2012,10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regular used and track alsorts , but is limited due to many aircraft not having the transponder/radio equip http://www.flightradar24.com/

Love it. Now i just need to know if id pick anything up from home with a scanner then to find a nice one to buy.. biggrin.gif
whirlybird

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand Aviation