Need Assistance On NZAA Runways Pls

A place for 'real world' pilots and aviation enthusiasts to discuss their hobby

Need Assistance On NZAA Runways Pls

Postby Aharon » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:15 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Because I want to strive for recreation of real world realism of historic and present flights via flight simming, I need your assistance on history NZAA runways.

Here is what I read about history of NZAA runways as seen below:

Previously taxiway 'Alpha' (parallel to the main runway) had been modified and designated as Runway 23R/05L so that rehabilitation work could be completed on the main runway 23L/05R. After the work was completed, the temporary runway reverted to taxiway alpha, although the main runway retained its L/R designations.

One problem is that it never mentioned what years.

Hence my question is which year did it start using taxiway as runway and which year did the temporary runway go back to taxiway, please?

Thanks,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: Need Assistance On NZAA Runways Pls

Postby Radar88 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Auckland Airport converted Taxiway Alpha between 2000 and 2001 into a temporary standby runway in preparation as part of the contingency planning for the April 2002
Auckland International Airport - R3 Runway Reconstruction work.

It was only in use for a short duration during the R3 reconstruction period which was completed successfully within 23 days during which time the total number of aircraft movements during the period of reconstruction in April 2002 on the temporary runway was approximately 8,730. The average Monday to Friday daily aircraft movement total during the work was 400. The busiest day recorded at 424 aircraft movements in a 24 hour period. The maximum runway hourly capacity achieved was 36.

Auckland Airport officially reverts standby runway back to taxiway status 2010.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby Aharon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:18 am

Radar88 wrote:It was only in use for a short duration during the R3 reconstruction period which was completed successfully within 23 days during which time the total number of aircraft movements during the period of reconstruction in April 2002

Radar88,

Thanks!!! So it is only matter for me to try to figure out which historic jet planes were used during 23 days of entire month of April in year 2002 for take off and landing operations using the temporary runway of NZAA.

Unless you know the answers very easy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Postby towerguy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 am

I can assure you it was a very interesting and challenging experience. There were only selected taxiways open between Alpha and Bravo as well for entering and vacating the "runway". The biggest challenge was because Bravo is not "straight'.
If you look at the landing chart or a photo from the air you will see that the portions east of Bravo2 and west of Juliet are further back from Alpha. The portion between Juliet and Bravo2 encompassing the domestic ramp is not separated from the "runway" sufficiently to allow a Heavy arrival or departure while a Heavy is taxiing in this area. So there was much juggling the arrivals/departures and taxiing while still fitting the smaller aircraft in the gaps.
It was interesting, challenging, fun ......... and a great relief when completed. (each time, as it happened more than once).

PS. A Korean B747 on short final for 23R in a NW x/wind looks like it is aiming straight at the tower window!!!
CPU- i7 4790K @4.0Gb Cooler- Noctua NH-D15 M/B- Z97 ProGamer P/S- 750W RAM- 16Gb
Graphics- Nvidia GTX970 16Gb Drives- 2x 120Gb SSD Samsung 850EVO, 1x 2Tb HD, 1x DVD-RW
Sound- on M/B Logitec 5.1 surround sound system OS- Win 10 pro , all wrapped in a black Corsair case Display - Panasonic UHD 4k 50" Flatscreen TV.( 3840x2160 Res)
towerguy
Sim-holic

Postby Aharon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:10 am

Towerguy,

Thanks for interesting explanations!! And nice to meet you on NZFF forums.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Topic author

Return to New Zealand Aviation